Clipped wing variant?

Tomsk

Am I right in thinking that there was also going to be a clipped wing variant of the Mk IX available?

That could be pretty interesting being a little bit faster at low alts, and with significant roll rate advantages. Planes that both turn and roll well are very dangerous in the dogfight, and I reckon even with clipped wings the Spitfire should still out-turn everything else.

Out of interest anyone know what the speed difference is between our IX and the clipped wing version?

I'm assuming the existing FM will only need tweaking? or will it be a complete re-work?

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I should read more instead of only looking at the pictures.

But the pictures are so pretty :P I did remember reading it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where or whether the plan had changed .. or whether a date had been announced.

Out of interest anyone know what the speed difference is between our IX and the clipped wing version?

I'm assuming the existing FM will only need tweaking? or will it be a complete re-work?

I'm quite interested in knowing this as well. What is the speed difference, and how much of a re-work would it be for the FM.

That is the plan from the press release on the Spitfire, no given timeline though.

Thanks for that. I thought that they would release at the same time, in the same package, and clipped wing was somehow an editor setting... :music_whistling:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• ED Team
Thanks for that. I thought that they would release at the same time, in the same package, and clipped wing was somehow an editor setting... :music_whistling:

Well its kind of something new they haven't done before, so might take a little coding magic, the FM will change with the wing plus all the art, schemes, etc, so we will see how they manage it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

People need to have more patience it is such a minor feature, that is very cool that are even giving the option for regular or clipped wings.

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

• 3 months later...

I just heard about this. Is there any news on this? Is it still happening?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You are right, the IX we have now was more common but from what I've read the "E" wing type featured both shapes.

I would have prefered they stuck with the clipped wing initially as it would be more competitive with the german fighters, but Im happy to know that at least it's coming.

Still it's been 4 months and no news, so that is a bit worrying.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Is it the most common though?

The clipping was part what made the IX a low altitude fighter.

I wouldn't worry it will come, just not until we are closer to release.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I was sad that we did not get the clip wing, as initially planned, in the first place. Sadly, I think superior capability as a Low Fighter may have been sacrificed for beautiful looks. Or perhaps the devs thought we would find the clip wing too tricky to fly first off. Or perhaps technical information on the clip wing was not so much available and it was better to run the standard wing first and then crunch the numbers for the clip wing afterwards.

However, I believe the clip wing is much more in keeping with the Low Fighter version we have and hope to enjoy the following clip wing attributes soon:

Faster level speed.

Faster acceleration.

Faster dive.

Faster roll rate (all altitudes).

Stronger wings by removal of wingtips, permitting higher IAS to be used (less easy to snap of in a high speed roll too, I would have thought).

Continued decent turn advantage over opposition.

A more agile fighter overall in comparison to standard wing Spitfire.

Historical trial dog-fight tests conducted against a standard wing Spit at low level were won by the clip wing Spit.

I would expect a zoom climb to be quicker too.

The speed and manoeuvre advantage from not having the drag of the detachable wingtips would be considerable I would have thought.

Yo-you has indicated a slight decrease in time to climb to 30k, but then if I am flying a Low Fighter I am not going to be chasing, or running away from, a 190D or 109K to 30K, LOL.

One last thing, we should not get our Mk IX LF variant mixed up with the earlier Mk V LF. Our Mk IX is a different beast.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• ED Team
Really? I didn't know that. Now I'm wondering why.:dunno::dunno:

People thought the icon shape of the wings was preferred over the clipped wings. I wanted both from the start, so its a win/win situation. Now we just need the HF version as well :D

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I am VERY happy they did the classic wing first. The iconic shape of one of the most if not THE most beautiful aircraft ever made means a hell of a lot more to me than better competetiveness on dogfights servers, but that is just MOHO.

But like others have mentioned, we might have our cake and eat it too- so all good:) Will fly both variants at lenghts!

People will tend to kick up a fuss about Spitfires, those pointed elliptical wings have, over time become quite important in the UK.

It's a bit like the classic two-bladed Huey for the USA, the 4 bladed, twin engine ones might be better but... you just *want* the two bladed whop-whop-whop-whop. It's an essential part of the character for many people.

Not too eager for the clipped wing version.

It looks bad and the intended goals were not a achieved either. IIRC Pilots' reports from testing say

- only marginally faster

- better roll rate, but far from being enough to be able to keep up with a FW190

- worse turn rate

- much worse stall behaviour

- much harder to handle on takeoff and landing

In short: not worth it.

Not too eager for the clipped wing version.

It looks bad and the intended goals were not a achieved either. IIRC Pilots' reports from testing say

- only marginally faster

- better roll rate, but far from being enough to be able to keep up with a FW190

- worse turn rate

- much worse stall behaviour

- much harder to handle on takeoff and landing

In short: not worth it.

hmm, i am not sure about some of those points :| time will tell ;)

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

• ED Team
I was sad that we did not get the clip wing, as initially planned, in the first place. Sadly, I think superior capability as a Low Fighter may have been sacrificed for beautiful looks. Or perhaps the devs thought we would find the clip wing too tricky to fly first off. Or perhaps technical information on the clip wing was not so much available and it was better to run the standard wing first and then crunch the numbers for the clip wing afterwards.

However, I believe the clip wing is much more in keeping with the Low Fighter version we have and hope to enjoy the following clip wing attributes soon:

Faster level speed.

Never was shown in tests

Faster acceleration.

Lower acceleration because of lower rate of climb

Faster dive.

Faster roll rate (all altitudes).

Stronger wings by removal of wingtips, permitting higher IAS to be used (less easy to snap of in a high speed roll too, I would have thought).

Negligible effect, because the wingtips have low loadings comparing the main parts of the wing.

Continued decent turn advantage over opposition.

A more agile fighter overall in comparison to standard wing Spitfire.

Historical trial dog-fight tests conducted against a standard wing Spit at low level were won by the clip wing Spit.

I would expect a zoom climb to be quicker too.

In vain

The speed and manoeuvre advantage from not having the drag of the detachable wingtips would be considerable I would have thought.

Yo-you has indicated a slight decrease in time to climb to 30k, but then if I am flying a Low Fighter I am not going to be chasing, or running away from, a 190D or 109K to 30K, LOL.

One last thing, we should not get our Mk IX LF variant mixed up with the earlier Mk V LF. Our Mk IX is a different beast.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me