Clouds data for scripting

ESAc_matador

If you are using non-dynamic weather you can sort of guesstimate the cloud coverage. But in terms of where clouds physically exist in the world, that information is not accessible, nor does it impact AI detection.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 months later...
If you are using non-dynamic weather you can sort of guesstimate the cloud coverage.

I just spent about an hour searching through the Hoggit wiki but didn't find anything. Can you give me some pointers how to get information about clouds via scripting?

If nothing else is available, the cloud and fog data entered in the ME would be quite okay for starters, but I wouldn't even know how to access that information. Any help appreciated. :thumbup:

If nothing else is available, the cloud and fog data entered in the ME would be quite okay for starters, but I wouldn't even know how to access that information. Any help appreciated. :thumbup:

That is all you can access, and like I said if it is dynamic weather then you can't really get any meaningful info. The data created in the ME is simply saved as part of the mission, so it is accessible via env.mission.weather table. Copied the following out of a mission file real quick to give you an idea of what it looks like. Hope that helps.

["weather"] = 
   {
       ["atmosphere_type"] = 0,
       ["wind"] = 
       {
           ["at8000"] = 
           {
               ["speed"] = 0,
               ["dir"] = 0,
           }, -- end of ["at8000"]
           ["at2000"] = 
           {
               ["speed"] = 0,
               ["dir"] = 0,
           }, -- end of ["at2000"]
           ["atGround"] = 
           {
               ["speed"] = 0,
               ["dir"] = 0,
           }, -- end of ["atGround"]
       }, -- end of ["wind"]
       ["enable_fog"] = false,
       ["turbulence"] = 
       {
           ["at8000"] = 0,
           ["at2000"] = 0,
           ["atGround"] = 0,
       }, -- end of ["turbulence"]
       ["season"] = 
       {
           ["temperature"] = 20,
       }, -- end of ["season"]
       ["type_weather"] = 0,
       ["qnh"] = 760,
       ["cyclones"] = 
       {
       }, -- end of ["cyclones"]
       ["name"] = "Winter, clean sky",
       ["fog"] = 
       {
           ["thickness"] = 0,
           ["visibility"] = 25,
           ["density"] = 7,
       }, -- end of ["fog"]
       ["visibility"] = 
       {
           ["distance"] = 80000,
       }, -- end of ["visibility"]
       ["clouds"] = 
       {
           ["thickness"] = 1920,
           ["density"] = 10,
           ["base"] = 5000,
           ["iprecptns"] = 0,
       }, -- end of ["clouds"]
   }, -- end of ["weather"]

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

To colour what was said above, if you have 9/10 or 10/10 cloud cover (ie complete cloud cover) certain IR and visual detections are stopped.

My experience is that as soon as you enter the cloud base the unit can detect you inside said cloud. This affects command guidance and IR SAMs that I have found.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The data created in the ME is simply saved as part of the mission, so it is accessible via env.mission.weather table.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot! :thumbup:

You're right that it's only rudimentary, but it's better than nothing. Gives me something to work with for an idea I've been bouncing around in my head for a while.

My experience is that as soon as you enter the cloud base the unit can detect you inside said cloud. This affects command guidance and IR SAMs that I have found.

Interesting to know, but I'm headed in a different direction; unless I'm mistaken there's nothing even close to ATIS, and I've been thinking about doing something like it for a while. Decided to try if I can get close, and see how it impacts performance.

Of course real time info on cloud cover and visibility, that works with static as well as dynamic weather, would be close to perfect. But for starters, I'll just see what I can come up with scripting-wise. If ED enhances weather info at a later date, this should be easily expandable.

Something to bear in mind is that cloud data is entirely client based, so in an MP mission what one player sees in terms of cloud positions is not necessarily what any other players will see. Not sure how this impacts dynamic weather though, but I think that actual cloud position is still client-side.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.