No pitch control, elevator barely moves

dporter22

On the ground the elevator moves up and down normally with stick movement, but once airborne I have very little pitch control because the elevator barely moves even with full stick deflection.

This occurs no matter the weapon load, airspeed, altitude, trim, or SAS setting. All axes are mapped properly and roll control works just fine. No extra controllers attached, no force feedback devices, have reset and tried various pitch curves and deadzones, no conflicts, no changes to hardware or sotware, the onscreen display of stick position shows normal operation, and every other axis and button works properly.

The elevator simply doesn't move more than a few degrees up or down. Can't pull out of dives, can't pull g in turns, etc. It's as if there's some type of limiter engaged.

Is there some simple setting or switch I'm missing?

On the ground the elevator moves up and down normally with stick movement, but once airborne I have very little pitch control because the elevator barely moves even with full stick deflection.

That sounds really weird, and you already checked a lot of items I would have suggested.

Can you post a short track?

I'm not aware of any switches that need to be set in order to get proper authority of control surfaces. They depend on hydraulics, and hydraulics depend on engines. Once both engines are operational, you should have good hydraulics and full control of all surfaces, including the elevators.

What you describe sounds a little like either hydraulics failure or Manual Reversion Flight Control System. In either case you should get at the very least a Master Caution plus low hydraulic pressure indications on the caution light panel. I assume you'd have mentioned something that obvious, which leads to the question:

Is this a new problem, or has it always been like this? Can you correlate it to a DCS update or some other event?

A few more possible solutions:

• Make sure "Force Feedback" is not checked in options
  • Disable all mods, if you have any
  • Rename your Saved Games\DCS directory (or DCS.openalpha or DCS.openbeta, according to your version), restart DCS, map Joystick Pitch axis and try again
  • Run DCS repair
  • Uninstall and reinstall DCS (probably not going to help, only worth a shot if all else fails)

Good luck and let us know if you fix the problem. :thumbup:

Yes, very weird.

Force Feedback not checked, no mods installed, nothing wrong with engines or hydraulics, MRFCS not engaged, etc.

I just started flying this sim a few weeks ago and it was fine at first. I didn't install anything or make any changes but one day the elevator just stopped moving. I don't know if or when any updates were installed since it's on Steam.

Dumb question: What's DCS Repair?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Find repair in this thread. :)

It's very simple procedure, it only takes a few minutes.

Good hint, except he said he's on Steam and the guide says in boldface "*(The Information in this Guide Does Not Apply to STEAM)*". ;)

I think in Steam you can just use the standard "Verify Game Cache" method (Right Click on Game -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache)

Have you noticed any difference if you start in the air?

It sounds almost like PAC1 (first trigger step) is activated or something.

That might be plausible.

I also once had massive control problems with the autopilot engaged in ALT/HDG mode (it felt as if I'd lost half of my lift surfaces, assymmetrically, because I forgot to disengage it and it didn't do so automatically), but that doesn't sound too plausible here.

Just to be extra-sure: When you open the control indicator overlay with RCTL+Enter, does it show proper stick deflection?

If you can record and upload a short track, that might prove very helpful.

Have verified game cache, autopilot not engaged, control indicator shows proper movement, and no difference if it starts in the air.

Maybe it's something I don't understand about PAC. The problem persists with the PAC switch in any position, but could it be something with with how PAC 1 and 2 are engaged? My stick doesn't have a two stage trigger but I thought I read in the manual that PAC engages automatically when using a single stage trigger.

Dumb question: How exactly do I post a track?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Maybe it's something I don't understand about PAC. The problem persists with the PAC switch in any position, but could it be something with with how PAC 1 and 2 are engaged? My stick doesn't have a two stage trigger but I thought I read in the manual that PAC engages automatically when using a single stage trigger.

I believe PAC would only ever be available with the GUN/PAC switch in the ARM position. Unless it's in ARM, you could squeeze either gun trigger without activating PAC. Looks like this isn't the culprit either.

Dumb question: How exactly do I post a track?

After ending a mission, when you're in the debriefing screen, hit "Save track" and pick a location on your hard drive.

Here on the forum, track files have a limit of 5 MB; if it's smaller than that, you can upload it here and automatically attach it to a post. To do so, when you write a post, you may have to pick "Go advanced" in order to show the additional options and then hit the button "Manage Attachments". The rest is probably self explanatory, but get back to us if you have questions there.

If the track file is larger than 5 MB, you could use other hosting services like Dropbox and just provide us with a link to the track file. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the track played correctly, but the only thing I notice was the aircraft stalled, your throttle where at idle. Then when your speed/alt warning came on, you lower your gear, Why?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3004658&postcount=30

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Could you get screen shots of your flight control option page? curves, etc.

I suspect you are setting the A10C game control not the A10C sim ones.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I just watched the track and can confirm that the pitch in the controls indicator pretty much never went past 50% nose up pitch.

I observed several right bank inputs nearing and finally reaching 100% early on. Some of the left bank inputs were only about 30%, but later on there were several that reached 100%.

Nose down pitch is a little hard to observe, but I'd say it never went past 80%.

I played the track again and took control and was able to get all axes to 100% just like they should.

Other than a controller conflict or very weird controller settings within DCS, I'm pretty much clueless.

Not sure if you mentioned it already, but do you run any joystick specific software like Thrustmaster's TARGET? If so, can you try again without this software running?

Anyway, basically I'm out of ideas, sorry. :(

I occasionally will have this issue. I do not know what causes it. Occasionally all elevator movement is minimal. It is not me being crazy, not a mod, not a force feedback, not a hotas problem. Only have I ever had this problem in the DCS a10c module at random. Never on any other module or sim. Sometimes i happens after takeoff. Other times in the middle of a mission. It is weird. Rare for me to see it.

I just watched the track and can confirm that the pitch in the controls indicator pretty much never went past 50% nose up pitch.

I observed several right bank inputs nearing and finally reaching 100% early on. Some of the left bank inputs were only about 30%, but later on there were several that reached 100%.

Nose down pitch is a little hard to observe, but I'd say it never went past 80%.

I played the track again and took control and was able to get all axes to 100% just like they should.

Other than a controller conflict or very weird controller settings within DCS, I'm pretty much clueless.

Not sure if you mentioned it already, but do you run any joystick specific software like Thrustmaster's TARGET? If so, can you try again without this software running?

Anyway, basically I'm out of ideas, sorry. :(

Ok, thanks for checking.

I occasionally will have this issue. I do not know what causes it. Occasionally all elevator movement is minimal. It is not me being crazy, not a mod, not a force feedback, not a hotas problem. Only have I ever had this problem in the DCS a10c module at random. Never on any other module or sim. Sometimes i happens after takeoff. Other times in the middle of a mission. It is weird. Rare for me to see it.

At least someone else has this problem so I know I'm not alone, just wish we could figure it out.