Looking for some help with TM Cougar

inspgadget

Hey guys. I'm very new to DCS A10C but am loving it. I am currently using a TM HOTAS Cougar that I bought second hand. Can someone help me configure this joystick to work with the game? I'm not sure what controls to setup and what buttons they should be mapped to.

Thanks very much!:helpsmilie:

Send me a PM with your email address, I will send you my current profile along with a graphical layout if you want.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I use this profile, by Viper, with small modifications that I made to better fit my preferences:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=61236

you can load it on the Cougar using the FOXY software, which I've found to be much easier to use than the newer TARGET software. You can download this software from here:

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com

I prefer to use Thrustmaster profiles rather than configure the joystick using DCS alone, in order to get support for the three positions of the "Dogfight" switch, which cant be done using just DCS.

Thus if the Dogfight switch is in the "Up" position, all the buttons perform Air-Air related duties; on the center position the buttons have functions for take-off, landing and navigation; while the "Down" position reconfigures the buttons for Air-Ground duties :)

Cheers!

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I use this profile, by Viper, with small modifications that I made to better fit my preferences:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=61236

you can load it on the Cougar using the FOXY software, which I've found to be much easier to use than the newer TARGET software. You can download this software from here:

http://cougar.flyfoxy.com

I prefer to use Thrustmaster profiles rather than configure the joystick using DCS alone, in order to get support for the three positions of the "Dogfight" switch, which cant be done using just DCS.

Thus if the Dogfight switch is in the "Up" position, all the buttons perform Air-Air related duties; on the center position the buttons have functions for take-off, landing and navigation; while the "Down" position reconfigures the buttons for Air-Ground duties :)

Cheers!

Have you been able to get either Target or Foxy to work with W10? I find it odd that my joystick works fine in the game but the TM software cant see the joystick, therefore I'm stuck programming the joystick inside DCS.

I have Foxy working just fine in Win 10. I did it quite some time ago, so I don't remember the details right now, but I do have a log I can refer to, but not sure when I can get to it and send it, maybe tomorrow? I don't use Target,, tried it and struggled with some features, so I stuck with Foxy.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I sent you an email, I found my install log and scanned it real quick

Have you been able to get either Target or Foxy to work with W10?

I dont use Windows 10 ... I tried it out for a while on a Virtual machine, but didnt like it enough to install it on my gaming PC.

Right now I'm using Windows Server 2012r2 (which is roughly equivalent to Windows 8.1) and with this setup I'm able to run both Foxy and the TM Cougar Control Panel (which is needed because the Cougar has two modes: "emulation mode" for using it just as a standard windows directx joystick, and "program mode" for using profiles programmed using Foxy; and the only way to change between both modes is the CCP).

I find it odd that my joystick works fine in the game but the TM software cant see the joystick, therefore I'm stuck programming the joystick inside DCS.

Did you install the 64 bit version software of Thrustmaster? .. here is a link from where you can download the 64 bit software:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=72355

The DCS Control setup is very good and I used it at first, but programming in Foxy allows some neat tricks, for example:

1) Have a button perform an action when its pressed an released, and do something different if you press it and hold the press for a second.

2) Have a button to cycle between several commands, for example on Su-25T you can have a "mode" button, that on the first press produces a "1" for Navigation Mode, a second press produces a "6" for AA mode, a third press generates a "7" for A-G mode, a fourth press gets an "8" for gun reticle mode and a final press goes back to the first mode.

3) make use of the throttle microstick, for example to orient the radar antenna; or to move the shkval cursor

And several more "tricks" like that :) that are impossible to get using just the DCS Control assignments.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB