Mustang Questions for new pilot: Blower, Reticle Markings, High Stakes Campaign

Istari6

Recognize that this module has been out for years, but I've been holding off diving into DCS until I could do it in VR. With an HTC Vive headset, I've been having an absolute blast learning the P-51D over the past two weeks. Fantastic experience!

Now that I'm through the Training missions and digging into the Challenge Campaign, have several questions that I'm hoping the community could help answer:

I. Merlin Two-Stage Supercharger:

-----------------------------------------

1. Seems that there's an option to test High Blower temporarily via switch, but no way to flip into High Blower purposefully until aneroid pressure sensor is tripped. Is that right? I was dogfighting another P-51D around 13-14,000 ft and wanted to get the additional power by pushing into High Blower early, but couldn't seem to do it.

2. Is the Mustang always running in Low Blower? Even at SL?

3. Pilot reports always talked about the nerve-wracking "BANG" when the high blower cut in during ascent to altitude. Scared many novice pilots. Is this modeled in DCS? I haven't heard anything except a higher engine noise when High Blower cuts in, easy to miss.

II. Fixed Reticle:

1. What do the markings mean? I see the "W" below the central "dot" and the |-| symbol at the 6 o'clock position on the ring. Not sure what information they're conveying. My experience seems to be that the HVAR rockets hit at the |-| if fired within 1 mile, is that what it's there for? Still don't know how to use the "W"/

III. High Stakes Campaign:

1. I see on DCS' page that this is not compatible with the Steam version of DCS (which is what I have). Are there any known workarounds to load it manually? I'm really bummed that the Challenge Campaign will be over soon and there's no other content available for this excellent simulation.

2. Is there any other source of community-made missions or campaigns for the P-51D?

Thanks for any answers to the above questions.

Chris

No, you can't load the High Stakes campaign into the steam version manually or anything like that. You have only two choices in this regard.

- wait for the DLC to be released on steam

- Migrate over to the standalone. You can download the standalone version from the website. You can simply use the activation codes from any content you bought on steam and use them in the standalone. You can then buy the High Stakes campaign and play it. You can always go back to steam with the products you bought there. But you will not be able to activate any products you buy on the website here on steam.

Check my F-15C guide

Sryan - thanks for the info. That's good to hear that I don't have to repurchase DCS. I'm enjoying the Mustang a great deal, will be worth it to reinstall DCS standalone to be able to play High Stakes once I finish the Challenge Campaign here.

Cthulu68 - thanks. Any idea what the W is used for?