Autonomous Ground Force Tasking

gromit190

OK, have just tested it again, this time with a different triggering for the autogft reinforcement (staging)

Looks like whenever the trigger is activated, some units in the "staging" which are supposed to be moving around are disappearing from the F10 map (deactivated?). I didn't see any unit moving in that zone...

Have no idea how to proceed from here :unsure:

OK, have just tested it again, this time with a different triggering for the autogft reinforcement (staging)

Looks like whenever the trigger is activated, some units in the "staging" which are supposed to be moving around are disappearing from the F10 map (deactivated?). I didn't see any unit moving in that zone...

Have no idea how to proceed from here :unsure:

Yeah, if you let the game play and when the host see the engagements the clients will see the units engaging each others at insane ranges.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Just spitballing this out there-

For the situation where it works fine locally but not on another server... when the guy on the other end loads the mission, does he open it up and save it under a different name with his own customized options?

I recall back in the day if you just took a mission from someone else and ran it, it would cause all sorts of problems. If you opened the mission on your own ME, then saved it under a different name it would resolve a bunch of issues.

Again, this was old time problem solving and may not work.

I'm looking at this setup with great interest since it does create a nice environment- a bit concerned about the MP issues though.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Just spitballing this out there-

For the situation where it works fine locally but not on another server... when the guy on the other end loads the mission, does he open it up and save it under a different name with his own customized options?

I recall back in the day if you just took a mission from someone else and ran it, it would cause all sorts of problems. If you opened the mission on your own ME, then saved it under a different name it would resolve a bunch of issues.

Again, this was old time problem solving and may not work.

I'm looking at this setup with great interest since it does create a nice environment- a bit concerned about the MP issues though.

Thanks for the tip ENO,

Tried the re-saving idea just now, but it didn't seem to solve the issue.

:crash:

Yeah, if you let the game play and when the host see the engagements the clients will see the units engaging each others at insane ranges.

I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here,

The units that disappeared upon triggering did so all at once, plus they were no where near line-of-sight and/or range of any enemy unit

To me it looks as though the units that the autogft is "trying" to get control of , are vanishing instead of starting to drive around.

(have I mentioned already that I know practically nothing about scripting / programming?)

Thanks for the input,

Assaf.

I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here,

The units that disappeared upon triggering did so all at once, plus they were no where near line-of-sight and/or range of any enemy unit

To me it looks as though the units that the autogft is "trying" to get control of , are vanishing instead of starting to drive around.

(have I mentioned already that I know practically nothing about scripting / programming?)

Thanks for the input,

Assaf.

Hi Assaf,

Sorry to hear you're running into problems with the script. Also, sorry that I haven't replied sooner, I've been quite occupied with other projects lately. Had a look at the mission, and seems it should be working the way you've coded it...

Could you tell me if there are any error messages in the log?

hey gromit... have you thought about incorporating your script into some of the MOOSE classes that FlightControl and his GitHub group are working on? I like what you are doing and it would sure be nice to see scripts starting to fall under a central framework ... just a thought.

Birger, can we talk about this please?

Sven

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

hey gromit... have you thought about incorporating your script into some of the MOOSE classes that FlightControl and his GitHub group are working on? I like what you are doing and it would sure be nice to see scripts starting to fall under a central framework ... just a thought.

Thanks! Yes, we've discussed this quite a bit. We've decided against it for now.

Birger, can we talk about this please?

Sven

Let's discuss this on on the MOOSE Slack domain instead

Thanks for this great script. Anyway to mitigate the slight hesitations whenever :setTargetUpdateTimer is called? Does it matter that I'm using it on the NTTR map?

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Thanks for this great script. Anyway to mitigate the slight hesitations whenever :setTargetUpdateTimer is called? Does it matter that I'm using it on the NTTR map?

Hi,

My pleasure! I assume you're not on the latest version. Please update to the latest version (link), and the hesitations you mention should go away.

There's probably going to be some differences between the version you're currently using and the newest version. For instance, you no longer need to invoke methods like the "setTargetUpdateTimer", there are default (overridable) timers automatically set for you. Also, functions are renamed. Have a look at the new examples, and just let me know if there's something I should explain or demo better in the examples.

If you want help migrating your code to the newest version, I'll be happy to help with that. You can go ahead and upload your code here (or send to me) and I'll update it for you, if you want :)

Thx for your response, Gromit. First, v 1.7 is all i've ever used. And second, using your script in much the same way in 1.5.5 causes exactly no hesitations whatsoever. Should i try removing the timer commands?

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Thx for your response, Gromit. First, v 1.7 is all i've ever used. And second, using your script in much the same way in 1.5.5 causes exactly no hesitations whatsoever. Should i try removing the timer commands?

Okay, the "setTargetUpdateTimer" function was rewritten and renamed a couple of versions back and its replacement ("setAdvancementTimer") shouldn't cause any lag. Hmm.

May I see your script?

The "setAdvancementTimer" sets a "looping" timer, meaning you should only have to set it once to enable your task force. But I understand you are invoking it multiple times, perhaps to halt and re-enable task force advancement?

EDIT: To clarify, unless you want to manually control the duration between advancement time intervals, or halt/re-enable task force advancement, you can remove the timer commands. They are invoked automatically (when you invoke autogft_TaskForce:new()) anyways, to make the task force automatically advance by default

Edited by gromit190

Hi Again gromit,

I think i've got my hesitation thing sorted now. Thanks again for the assist. Another quick question for you. I'm using the following script now:

autogft_TaskForce:new()
 :addBaseZone("RED_BASE1")  
 :addControlZone("CONTROL1")
 :addControlZone("CONTROL2")
 :addControlZone("CONTROL3")

:addBaseZone("BLUE_BASE1")  
 :addControlZone("CONTROL4")
 :addControlZone("CONTROL5")
 :addControlZone("CONTROL6")

And it's working well except that I'd like to reinforce from an existing pool of idle units instead of respawning and I'd like control of how often that happens. Is there a straightforward way i can easily adapt the above code to do that?

thx

------------------------------Update---------------------------

I figured it out and so here's the code in case anyone else could benefit from it.

:setCountry(country.id.RUSSIA)    
 :addGroup():addUnits(1,"Ural-375 ZU-23")
 :addGroup():addUnits(2,"T-55")
 :addGroup():addUnits(2,"BTR-80")    
 :addBaseZone("red_base1")
 :addControlZone("control1")
 :addControlZone("control2")
 :addControlZone("control3")
 :setReinforceTimer(600)

Usage:

Simply make a triggerzone and name it "red_base1" as seen above. Fill it with the above mentioned vehicles, then make 3 more triggers named control1...etc. These triggers will be your new task force's waypoints.

Second update:

The above code, which worked fine last night, is now respawning units instead of drawing them from the idle groups i have setup within red_base1. Any ideas as to why? I did find that if i remove the "addUnits" command, all units start moving.

Edited by Invisibull
Update

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner. So you got rid the hesitations, great! And thanks for showing how you've used the script.

The above code, which worked fine last night, is now respawning units instead of drawing them from the idle groups i have setup within red_base1. Any ideas as to why? I did find that if i remove the "addUnits" command, all units start moving.

Your code should definitely not respawn units, only use idle ones. If setReinforceTimer is only provided with 1 argument (like you have done), then it shouldn't use spawning. If you give it two arguments, and the second argument is not false it will respawn units instead.

https://birgersp.github.io/dcs-autogft/TaskForce.html##(TaskForce).setReinforceTimer

Did you modify the code at all from the code you posted here? If you did, please post your new code. Or, if nothing else works, try invoking "setReinforceTimer" with a second argument "false" like this:

:setReinforceTimer(600, false)

Regarind "addUnits":

If you don't invoke "addUnits", the task force will assume that all (!) the units in the base should be used for a single reinforcement. This means that if the task force units are killed, it will spawn all those units over again. "addUnits" is there to tell the task force that it should only use a selection of units, not all.

So for using "staged units" (not respawning) you need to invoke addUnits or the TaskForce will just use all the units in the base.

Hi Gromit,

The problem occurs when i try to set up a reinforcement zone being fed by a respawning zone.

Something like this:

:addGroup():addUnits(2,"Ural-375 ZU-23")
 :addControlZone("control_2")
 :addControlZone("control_3")

:addBaseZone("red_base2")
 :setSpeed(30)
 :startUsingRoads()  
 :addControlZone("control_1")

will make the reinforcement zone not work. The units will either just sit there, or it will begin behaving as a respawn zone. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for this behavior, just not simple enough for me. :) (red_base2 is of course located within control_2 in the above example in order to feed it.)

Incidentally, (as discussed above), if I remove the :addUnits command the reinforcement zone WILL simply send everything within the zone on its merry way, but only sometimes. Other times removing the addUnit command doesn't change anything.

My goal from this script is to be able to create reinforcement zones, which don't discriminate by unit type, but will merely move units along arriving from various respawn zones i've created.

Hope I've explained myself clearly, and thx for your help.

Edited by Invisibull
update

Hi Gromit,

The problem occurs when i try to set up a reinforcement zone being fed by a respawning zone.

Something like this:

:addGroup():addUnits(2,"Ural-375 ZU-23")
 :addControlZone("control_2")
 :addControlZone("control_3")

:addBaseZone("red_base2")
 :setSpeed(30)
 :startUsingRoads()  
 :addControlZone("control_1")

will make the reinforcement zone not work. The units will either just sit there, or it will begin behaving as a respawn zone. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for this behavior, just not simple enough for me. :) (red_base2 is of course located within control_2 in the above example in order to feed it.)

Incidentally, (as discussed above), if I remove the :addUnits command the reinforcement zone WILL simply send everything within the zone on its merry way, but only sometimes. Other times removing the addUnit command doesn't change anything.

My goal from this script is to be able to create reinforcement zones, which don't discriminate by unit type, but will merely move units along arriving from various respawn zones i've created.

Hope I've explained myself clearly, and thx for your help.

Thanks for showing me the code. I'll try to implement it in a mission later today, to see why AutoGFT is failing with it.

What kind of units have you put in "red_base"?

What kind of units have you put in "red_base"?

red_base1 is the reinforcement base so there I start with about 12 each of the listed units. red_base2 is the feeder respawning zone so it's got the about 2 each of the same units in red_base1.

Control_1 is located within red_base1 ostensibly to resupply it periodically, but i've yet to get this to work.

I was working off something you said earlier in this thread:

If you specify more than one staging area ("base zone"), the script will look through all the staging areas to "take" the units it needs to reinforce the task force.

With that said, it is possible to have a task force that keeps respawning units, then sends them to the staging area of another task force.

but I'll be damned if i can get it to work.

Thx again for your help.

I've discovered the bug, and fixed it (one character modified :doh: ).

Released a new version, where the bug is fixed. Download here.

Thanks so much for reporting the error! It should definitely work now (tested your code, all ok). Please let me know if it doesn't :)

Edited by gromit190

Hiya Gromit,

The feeder concept now seems to be working as advertised. Ty so much for going to the trouble of finding that error. I'll continue testing and prob harassing you with more questions later. :) thx again!

Found a problem and reported it to the GitHub issues page, there is an error thrown when respawning vehicles, at least in my missions and the demo missions, reinforcements might not be affected, untested.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Found a problem and reported it to the GitHub issues page, there is an error thrown when respawning vehicles, at least in my missions and the demo missions, reinforcements might not be affected, untested.

Hi Pikey,

What's the error and did you update to the autogft-1_8-standalone?

Anyone know why this error would pop up:

00547.328 ERROR SCRIPTING: Error in scheduled function: [string "C:\Users\EG\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis000007ED"]:509: Object doesn't exist

And here's the bit it's referring to in the above file/line:

local currentPos = self.groupLead:getPosition().p

if currentPos.x == prevPosX and currentPos.z == prevPosZ then

self:forceAdvance()

end

After clicking popup, everything seems to work fine.

Thx

Hi Assaf,

Sorry to hear you're running into problems with the script. Also, sorry that I haven't replied sooner, I've been quite occupied with other projects lately. Had a look at the mission, and seems it should be working the way you've coded it...

Could you tell me if there are any error messages in the log?

Hi Gromit,

Took me a while finding an opportunity getting logs of server and local.

Both are attached.

There are lots of errors, but I have no clue which (if at all) are relevant - I Have absolutely no clue what am I looking at when opening those files...:cry: would appreciate if you could have a look.

Thanks,

Assaf.

SafeNorth auto-gft and MIST.zip

I noticed MIST getting called twice and I posted up that I had an error earlier but I didnt feedback to the thread that I found the issue was in testing another mod with MIST installed locally to it and I believe there's something fishy with the older MISTs and AutoGFT reading them. You could try running just AutoGFT, and if that works then run AUtoGFT first, wait a bit then call MIST. I've no guarantee it works though.

Hi Gromit,

Took me a while finding an opportunity getting logs of server and local.

Both are attached.

There are lots of errors, but I have no clue which (if at all) are relevant - I Have absolutely no clue what am I looking at when opening those files...:cry: would appreciate if you could have a look.

Thanks,

Assaf.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *