Recommended module pros and cons....

LC34

Looking at a new module and just looking for most bang for my buck. Here's the ones I'm interested in and what I think of them, would love peoples opinions that have them.

P-51- Love this plane, but hear some grumblings about the damage from the guns. I have the Sabre so I know its frustrating at times. Also with the trainer TF-51 already in game free does it add more than just guns to it?

Huey- Very interested in it but my HOTAS isn't in the best shape (old X-45) so sort of torn about any helos even though I would like one in game.

BF-109- A plane I also love, but having played it a TON in IL-2 series would it be best to get something I don't have so easily available?

Black Shark- Same bad as huey. Concerned with my HOTAS setup, but it would be fun to fire some missiles and rockets at some AFVs.

A-10C- I don't play the A-10A much, but one I wouldn't mind learning. Plus I'm going to get a TM Warthog soon.

Which one do you guys think is something I can get the most casual return from. I'm fine with learning every switch etc but I was wondering what has most to it in terms of replayability and campaigns etc. Gift card burning a hole in my pocket and with a steam sale I could pick up two maybe if the prices are right. Appriciate any and all opinions and recommendations.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

You will probably get the most "bang for the buck" right now from Ka-50 or A-10C. Plenty of campaigns, lots to do and lots to learn.

Ka-50 is not as difficult to fly as Huey thanks to different design and autopilot that stabilizes it a bit. And of course more modern equipment. But huey is nice too if you are in the mood of hauling cargo and shooting at some light targets.

WWII planes are something different and IMO they will start to be something more than a curiosity in DCS after the Normandy map is released and we get more period correct units to go with them. And the AI gets an overhaul. And the damage model gets an overhaul. And some further improvements to object visibility in game would be nice too.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The Mi-8 is a true marvel ;)

Hard to fly, a beast upon approach and in transition....all you could ask for to have THE experience

and as a show-off what DCS is capable of. I love this bird :)

The Ka-50 is a battle horse, easier to fly, deadly for enemies when engaged properly, more what you want if you love battling over flying experience.

The A-10C is like putting wings on your High-End game rig, attach some weapons and lift off...

You will be rather deep down in the MFD's rather than flying...I find it utmost boring tbh but thats just me.

Props...if you love props, torque and own some rudders that is a nice change. A dogfight is still the A & O of aerial combat and knowing how to do it in props will help you anywhere later down the road.

Jetfighters, they got more demanding in flying with new FM, loaded with functions and knobs and switches. Some fly almost by themselves ( M2000 ) and some really need your attention ( F86, Mig15, Mig21 for example )

Anyone has it's + and - it's damn hard to exclude one as they all are nice for one or the other special thing they own.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Look depends on you really, I have like an hour on Su25 and A10 but love the Huey it's such a visceral experience. I am not a pilot and not sure of how your controller would work with the Huey.

Logitech 3D pro collective and cyclic (want Komodo Huey collective and Oculus rift for pit project)

Saitek Combat Pro pedals.

But the Huey is fun to fly especially in 2.oa. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thanks everyone. I do have rudder pedals but I think I'm leaning more towards either the BF-109 or the P-51.

I could get the 109 by itself, or the P-51 and the High Stakes Campaign.

I guess I am more of a turning fighter in most other games (IL-2, EAW, etc) so in that regard, out of those two the 109 seems to more "fit me." Even though its not a real turn fighter.

What is the difference between the free TF-51 and the P-51? Just adding weapons? Maybe get the 109 to fight and learn the 51 with the trainer and take it on a big sale I suppose if the TF-51 and P-51 are essentially the same airframe?

I love the fact that even as I get close to purchasing another module, the more I cant make up my mind on which one :) Gotta love DCS World!

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Looking at a new module and just looking for most bang for my buck.

What are you looking for in a SIM?

How do you measure your "bang for the buck"?

What is your criteria for enjoyment - study sim? - archade? - dogfight?

You will get lots of recommendations based upon other's criteria - they cannot measure yours.

Perhaps it might be of value to go into each of the threads and read the reviews posted after initial releases and updates. That might allow you to compare your criteria to theirs and the producers and identify problems.

Always fun researching.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yeah I know its an open ended question, and what one person loves another may hate, I guess my "bang for my buck" isn't set in stone either. I mostly play SP, but I want to go into MP once I get the airframe down.

I always loved the campaign in European Air War and IL-2s campaign kind of disappointed me. I have the F-15 Red Flag campaign and love that so far after 4 missions. I guess I am leaning away from some of the modern airframes at the moment because even though I want to get them eventually, my HOTAS isn't set with the optimal button situation. So I'm saving for a TM Warthog and will go after the modern jets then.

I want a module like the P-51 and BF-109 that once I do get the feel for flying it comfortably, I can go into MP with a group that is active in teaching me how to fly it better. I know that the WWII birds are getting a new map someday, so I know they wont be losing their luster anytime soon, and that's why I'm leaning towards them at the moment.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Which of the two seems the most stable in the air? I remember in IL-2 when I would turn in the P-51 it seemed to always want to go into a stall. Might have been my stick settings but flying level, then slowly turning would almost immediately brig about the shakes of an incoming stall.

Again, could very well have been my stick settings, and or piloting ability. Or lack thereof :)

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Went with the BF-109 simply because of having the TF-51 for now and enjoying a multitude of American planes with already owning F-86 and FC3 modules. I was also able to purchase the Museum Relic campaign for my F-86 as well. Thanks ED for the sales. Now the search begins for what module to buy next as I wait for the F-14 to arrive.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X#D

64 GB Ram

MSI RTX 4090

Personally I'd have grabbed the A-10C or the Miarage 2000 but each to their own.

Next for me F/A-18C. I've got cash saved up for my funeral or an F/A-18C, whichever comes first!

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

If you are laying out the $$ for the Warthog (which is an awesome controller IMO) then I'd say get the A-10C to go with it. Lots of missions, very detailed, and will really make that Warthog shine. The A10C also has the advantage of plenty of missions, a large community of pilots, and is so in depth that you will always be finding something new to learn on it.

Edited by Faelwolf
My lousy typing

Oh get the KA-50. It is very easy to fly because of the autopilot channels, dual rotor setup. It is ton of fun in almost every kind of game play mode.

It has been out for many years, updated,polished and now available for cheap$ Get it and you'll get the best bang for your buck.

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

Looking at a new module and just looking for most bang for my buck. Here's the ones I'm interested in and what I think of them, would love peoples opinions that have them.

P-51- Love this plane, but hear some grumblings about the damage from the guns. I have the Sabre so I know its frustrating at times. Also with the trainer TF-51 already in game free does it add more than just guns to it?

Huey- Very interested in it but my HOTAS isn't in the best shape (old X-45) so sort of torn about any helos even though I would like one in game.

BF-109- A plane I also love, but having played it a TON in IL-2 series would it be best to get something I don't have so easily available?

Black Shark- Same bad as huey. Concerned with my HOTAS setup, but it would be fun to fire some missiles and rockets at some AFVs.

A-10C- I don't play the A-10A much, but one I wouldn't mind learning. Plus I'm going to get a TM Warthog soon.

Which one do you guys think is something I can get the most casual return from. I'm fine with learning every switch etc but I was wondering what has most to it in terms of replayability and campaigns etc. Gift card burning a hole in my pocket and with a steam sale I could pick up two maybe if the prices are right. Appriciate any and all opinions and recommendations.

If you are going to get a Warthog HOTAS soon. Then your X45 shouldn't be a factor in determining whether you purchase helos or not. Especially since you said that you also have rudder pedals. You are all set to fly helos amigo.

Picking any module is a very personal thing. I know that I have purchased modules half heartedly on the advice of others and they have never made it on to the runway really. So what's good for me may be a disappointment for you. So it's hard to give advice on something like that.

What I can tell you is that the 109 is hands down much better than the P-51. I love the P-51 as a fighter and purchased it pre release. Now I never really fly it because every WWII module released since feels, and performs (IMO) better than the P-51. But again.....You should be your own judge.

I usually don't come to the forums for those kinds of answers. TS and the servers are a much better indication of what's what. You don't even have to ask, just look at what people are flying and listen in on what they're saying. You will see definite trends about what's good and what people are not so happy about. Forums are too political for such things.

I know you didn't mention it, but have you considered FC3?

As far as bang for the buck goes, it's pretty much at the top--four different ways of delivering numerous different bangs :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!