Had problems switching of ASW with dcs running. Work round.

Badger633

As already reported I get the distortion in VR( cv1 ) through the sight or hud. It happens for me on all aircraft which have hud such as the a10c and the gun sight in the new spity.

It is the rifts ASW causing this and is a known problem with things like a hud display. Especially if frame rates are low. It is also common knowledge Ctrl + 1 or Ctrl + 2 turns the two types of ASW off and Ctrl + 3 and Ctr + 4 turns them on.

The reason for the post is that for me these control buttons had no effect in dcs no matter what I did. Could not get Asw off whilst in the sim. I could switch Asw on and off in the oculus home no problem. Howeve if I switched Asw off in oculus home first then started dcs Asw would automatically be reset when dcs started. I get round that now by programming voice commands. In the sim if I am getting the wobbling caused by Asw I issue a voice command which in Windows changes the application focus to oculus home. Inside the rift you still see dcs sim but you can no longer control the aircraft . I then issue a voice command which either switches Asw off or on. I then issue quickly a voice command which makes dcs the focus in Windows again. Control is back but more importantly Asw is either on or off as I selected in dcs. I know some people have no problems by just using the Ctr and numbers but for me I have to use this work round. Took me a while to work it out and if your like me hope this help. Asw is a real problem with huds.

Edited by Glyn
correct mistake

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Ive mentioned this too, and was told Im the only one seeing this stuff. CTRL Numpad 1 supposed to turn it off...does it look extremely distorted in the load screen too?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179474

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

i can say i have the same problem in 1.5 cant switch off ASW. then in 2.0 it auto fluctuates between working then not working making 2.0 run horribly. Im running the most recent nvidia drivers, think may this be the problem?? Any feed back on drivers for CV1 users and great success?

Crom

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Why Asw seems to be a problem

This is why there is a problem. From oculus developer site. Point 4 in particular .

"What's the Catch?

Just as with ATW, ASW is active and enabled for all applications without any developer effort.

There's no completely free lunch, however. ASW doesn't scale well below half the display's refresh rate. Depending on what's being displayed, there may be visual artifacts present as a result of imperfect extrapolation. Typical examples include:

1 Rapid brightness changes. Lightning, swinging lights, fades, strobe lights, and other rapid brightness changes are hard to track for ASW. These portions of the scene may waver as ASW attempts to find recognizable blocks. Some kinds of animating translucency can cause a similar effect.

2 Object disocclusion trails. Disocclusion is a graphics term for an object moving out of the way of another. As an object moves, ASW needs something to fill the space the object leaves behind. ASW doesn't know what's going to be there, so the world behind will be stretched to fill the void. Since things don't typically move very far on the display between 45 fps frames, these trails are generally minimal and hard to spot. As an example, if you look closely at the extrapolated image from the screenshots here you'll see a tiny bit of warping to the right of the revolver.

3 Repeated patterns with rapid movement of them. An example might be running alongside an iron gate and looking at it. Since parts of the object look similar to others, it may be hard to tell which one moved where. With ASW, these mispredictions should be minimal but occasionally noticeable.

4 Head-locked elements move too fast to track. Some applications use a head-locked cockpit, HUD, or menu. When applications attempt to do this on their own without the help of a head-locked layer, the result can be judder because the background is moving fast against the head-locked object. Some accommodation can be made with ASW, but users can move their head fast enough that they'll no longer track properly and the result won't be smooth. Using the head-locked layers (ovrLayerFlag_HeadLocked) provided by the Oculus Rift SDK will produce the ideal result.

Outside of point 4, you shouldn't avoid scenarios that produce these artifacts but rather be mindful of their appearance. ASW works well under most, but not all, circumstances to cover sub-90fps rendering. We feel the experience of ASW is a significant improvement to judder and is largely indistinguishable from full-rate rendering in most circumstances."

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

As already reported I get the distortion in VR( cv1 ) through the sight or hud. It happens for me on all aircraft which have hud such as the a10c and the gun sight in the new spity.

It is the rifts ASW causing this and is a known problem with things like a hud display. Especially if frame rates are low. It is also common knowledge Ctr 4 switches ASW off and Ctr 1 switches ASW on.

The reason for the post is that for me these control buttons had no effect in dcs no matter what I did. Could not get Asw off whilst in the sim. I could switch Asw on and off in the oculus home no problem. Howeve if I switched Asw off in oculus home first then started dcs Asw would automatically be reset when dcs started. I get round that now by programming voice commands. In the sim if I am getting the wobbling caused by Asw I issue a voice command which in Windows changes the application focus to oculus home. Inside the rift you still see dcs sim but you can no longer control the aircraft . I then issue a voice command which either switches Asw off or on. I then issue quickly a voice command which makes dcs the focus in Windows again. Control is back but more importantly Asw is either on or off as I selected in dcs. I know some people have no problems by just using th Ctr 1 or 4 but for me I have to use this work round. Took me a while to work it out and if your like me hope this help. Asw is a real problem with huds.

You have it the wrong way round. Ctrl + 1 or Ctrl + 2 turns the two types of ASW off and Ctrl + 3 and Ctr + 4 turns them on.

Sorry Greyman quite correct I was concentrating on the work round. I have edited the note now.

Thanks

Turning off shadows completely solved almost all of the issues with ASW. Not all, but almost all of them. Ive tried and tried and tried to pin the problem down to one specific issue, and right now I firmly believe that it is the Rift beta ASW and a combination of poor drivers and pixel density. Why shadows causing the issue? I dont know, but I see it every time something blocks lighting effects both on ground and in the cockpit. I also see it when beacons are on in the aircraft on the ground. Cockpit reflections are part of the problem too...especially around canopy frame edges where textures look like dirt accumulation between the frame and the windscreen. The opacity for some reason causes the distortion.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

• 2 weeks later...

My wallpaper and skins

Not sure if the problem will be visible on this poor res camera, but its there. Ill make more if I can. Its definitely not pixel density settings, and I sure dont get it in any Rift apps or FlyInside P3d..but its only seen in DCS 1.5 and 2.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ9e4lNwaoI&feature=youtu.be

My wallpaper and skins