China get Su-33!

Kusch

Um, what? Read his post carefully again. He EXPLICITLY states that IF the Su-33 got the upgrades (like the Su-27KUB), THEN it would be able to use...whatever we're talking about.
You are right, I see your point.

Well, I am still asking about Alfa's source of information.

Never, never doubt Alfa on Russian naval equipment ;)
Really, why not? Nevertheless, I have full respect for Alfa.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I am preparing to write a letter to Yefim Gordon (YG) and Peter Davison (PD). Does anybody on this forum have a credible source so that I can point it to the YG and PD and ask for a correction in their book?

Kush, you mentioned Piotr Butowski. Do you know if there is an English translation of his Su-27 book?

Does anybody else on this forum have a book in English that specifically state that current Su-33’s require further upgrades to be able to carry and launch 3M80 “moskit”?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I agree with Veljko here: unless someone points to a valid source stating SU33 cannot carry Moskit, I'll belive Yephim Gordon who has, afterall, written 'few' pages on the matter.

LOL, if it was anyone else but Yefim.. I'll give an example of his MiG-29 book where he gives comparisons between MiG-29A/M and other fighters and it's embarassing to say the least.

If you want a more serious Flanker book, get Flanker Story by Andrei Fomin. This book, for instance, states that Moskit capability was a part of suggested Su-33 upgrade program (among other upgrades) which never happened.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

LOL....thanks for the confindence guys :) .

Vejlko,

Well, I am still asking about Alfa's source of information

I have no single source of information I can just point you to mate :) .

Anyway, the Su-33 can indeed carry the Moskit - there was an early effort to equip it with this weapon and mounting devices were made for the purpose......but it cannot deploy it because:

a). The SUV-33 radar/weapons control system of the Su-33 is all but identical to that of the Su-27S - including the NIIP-N001 radar which doesn't support the missile nor has air-to-surface modes to find targets for it.

Quick link:

http://www.airshow.ru/expo/111/prod_778.htm

Not a very indept account for the SUV-33, but it does mention the differences between the SUV-27 and evolved SUV-30/SUV-33, for which a more powerful version of the EOS is the most significant feature - the radar(N001 shown on the photo) is the same.

b). An airlaunched version of the Moskit was under development but, according to Raduga(the designer), this development was suspended - partially due to the lack of funds after the demise of the Soviet Union and partially because the navy came to the conclusion that such a weapon would be "unpractical" operational load for the Su-33. The 3M80E "Moskit" is currently operational only in its SSM form(P-270) - equipping ships such as Pr. 956("Sovremenny-class") destroyers and Pr. 1242.1 ("Tarantul-III") missile boats.

There was an early proposal to upgrade the Su-33 with a "multirole" firecontrol system including the "Zhuk-27" radar(upscaled version of initial N010 "Zhuk" for the MiG-29M/MiG-29K), but it was never pursued for the operational Su-33s. A lot of the incorrect references to a multirole capable Su-33 you can find on the internet stems from those proposals and anticipation of their realisation.

The closest to a realisation of a multirole Su-33 is the new twin-seat Su-27KUB prototype, which was equipped with the Zhuk-MS radar(refined and modernized version of the "Zhuk-27").

su-37kub_19.jpg

I believe the Su-27KUB has since had its Zhuk-MS replaced by the further developed electronically scanned phased array version of this called "Zhuk-MSF".

My point was that if China indeed does procure new-built single seat Su-33s, there is a chance that they would be equipped with radar/weapons control system similar to that of the Su-27KUB and thus be capable of deploying anti-ship missiles :) . But considering the large size/weight of the Su-33, the ramp launch method and the relatively moderate amount of Su-33s the Varyag can accomodate, I would consider the use of smaller ASMs such as Kh-35 or Kh-31As(which are more in line with operational load realised with currently operated Russian Su-33s) to be a more realistic/practical scenario than a revived airlaunched version of the Moskit.....or Yakhont for that matter(for which an airlaunched version does exist) :) .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Kush, you mentioned Piotr Butowski. Do you know if there is an English translation of his Su-27 book?

Ask self Piotr Butowski on this forum ;)

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Piotr Butowski, nick name PiBu, example this thread:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63065&page=1

Give me "flying telephone pole" (SA-2)!