Update 1.5.5.60503.215, Gunsight Dials

Captain Orso

In the 1.5.5.60503.215 Update of 23 Dec, the dials for the Gunsight Base and Range move in the wrong directions, although the gunsight crosshair widen and narrow correctly.

EDIT ... and the when adjusting the Gunsight Illumination increase/decrease, instead of doing that, it flips the IFF Cover opened and closed. If I set the same joystick buttons directly to IFF Cover open and close in the setting, it does that correctly.

Edited by Captain Orso

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

There Gunsight Range and Base work OK, with mouse scroll or keys (in this case too fast to be useful).

Scroll Up move move disc right, etc.

For Range this mean increase distance, but for Base reduce the wingspan. One conflict with other. :)

I adjust looking at marks at base of gunsight, not in the bars. The resulting aperture in gunsight bar is consequence of this adjust. Adjust the aperture without parameters is meaningless.

So the Up/Down for Right/Left result practical. Of course subject to different interpretations.:)

Gunsight illumination and IFF cover seems using the same button (#21):

{                                                           
-- I.F.F. Control Box - I.F.F. Protective Cover
{                                                           down = device_commands.Button_21, cockpit_device_id = devices.TERTIARY_CONTROLS, value_down = 1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.iff_cover_1'), category = _('IFF')},
{                                                           down = device_commands.Button_21, cockpit_device_id = devices.TERTIARY_CONTROLS, value_down = 0.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.iff_cover_0'), category = _('IFF')},

-- Gun Sight Dimmer
{                                                           pressed = device_commands.Button_21, cockpit_device_id = devices.TERTIARY_CONTROLS, value_pressed = 1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.gun_sight_illumination_plus'), category = _('Gunsight')},
{                                                           pressed = device_commands.Button_21, cockpit_device_id = devices.TERTIARY_CONTROLS, value_pressed = -1.0, name = _('Input.SpitfireLFMkIX.gun_sight_illumination_minus'), category = _('Gunsight')},

There Gunsight Range and Base work OK, with mouse scroll or keys (in this case too fast to be useful).

Scroll Up move move disc right, etc.

8<

8<

8<

Thanks for your reply Sokol1, but this is broken.

The Base Dial works correctly. You increase the Base Dial setting (the wingspan of the target aircraft), to increase the width of the space between the horizontal crosshairs.

The Range Dial does not work correctly. Scrolling the Range Dial to the left to increase the range should narrow the gap between the horizontal crosshairs, but it increases the gap. This is exactly backwards.

On top of this, the controls for both base and range work backwards.

I'm using a the Counter Measure thumb switch on the TM HOTAS for Base and Range settings. It's in the middle on the left:

attachment.php?attachmentid=154073&stc=1&d=1482654190

The diagram shows the button numbers.

15 = Up

16 = Right

17 = Down

18 = Left

These are the buttons I'm using to set Base and Range.

Here are my Base settings in the Options -> Controls -> Gun Sight settings. In this video I'm pressing Left[18] - Right[16] - Left[18] - Right[16] :

Here are my Range settings in the Options -> Controls -> Gun Sight settings. In this video I'm pressing Up[15] - Down[17] - Up[15] - Down[17] :

These are the exact same actions I took in the first two videos.

Base: Left[18]Increase - Right[16]Decrease - Left[18]Increase - Right[16]Decrease

Range: Up[15]Increase - Down[17]Decrease - Up[15]Increase - Down[17]Decrease

Now look at the first two videos again while paying attention to that it's always Increase Decrease Increase Decrease.

What the Dials are doing is the opposite of the input I am giving on the controller.

585129000_ThrustmasterWarthogJoystickChart.thumb.png.d96d7dd47951ad6bdbc3de8cadada5bb.png

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

The Range Dial does not work correctly. Scrolling the Range Dial to the left to increase the range should narrow the gap between the horizontal crosshairs, but it increases the gap. This is exactly backwards.

Range scale is labeled - left to right:

1.5 - * EDIT - is 15 = 150 yards*

2 = 200 yards

6 - 600 yards.

In your video, scrolling Range dial for left increase the gap, what is correct since at close distance the target is almost filling the circle - is 118 mils, what means that a ~10.5 meters wingspan Fw 190 is at ~89 meters if with tips touch the circle. Then the gap for close range need be big. If the Fw 190 is at ~500 meters the gap need be small.

A Ju 88 filling the circle is a great distance than a Bf 109 filling.

*Is not 1500 yards, this gunsight is for planes, not sniper rifle. The decimal* digit only there is another of these "left hand British things". :D

I don't pay attention if in GUI the assignment is correct, my conclusion is that don't worth waste joy buttons with this adjust, the movement is too fast to be useful.

In practice adjusting the gunsight for the actual convergence/harmonization YoYo suggest that is - 300 and for the typical targets wingspan (Bf 109, Fw 190) result a gap of around 1/3 of circle, similar to default gap, although the values of 350 and 60 used don't make sense. Things of games. :P

I only wish that default adjust came for existent targets - Bf 109 and Fw 190, and not for "UFO's". :D

But like the nonexistent Parking Brake catch, incorrect modeling of Lubber Line in P-8, wrong animation in radio control box switch... 99% of players don't bother with this, so don't worth the work in fix.;)

Edited by Sokol1_br
Fix info.

eyetwitch.gif

Suicide.gif

Okie-Dokie, you are right Sokol, the Range settings completely work "correctly" shame.gif, just very .... *a-hem* British GAAH.gif

sigh.gif

I maintain however still, that the control settings for Base are backwards. Adjusting the Base setting using the mouse on the in-cockpit dial is WAD, but the control settings 'Gun Sight Base INCREASE' and and 'Gun Sight Base DECREASE' do the opposite of what they should.

BTW I would like the Parking Brake catch working too, and the compass huh.gif I can't ever really read that dang thing well noexpression.gif and I like making low-level bombing missions in which I fly for 20-30 minutes on the deck navigating form point to point before reaching a target, and if you can't use the compass... cry.gif

sigh.gif

offtobed.gif

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler