F5 or mig 21 ?

bushido

f5 is objectively the better aircraft, its almost clinical in its execution, but the mig21 has a lot more character, its not perfect and it's got a lot more ways for you to mess up but when you do tame it the victories taste that much sweeter.

if you want to fly mp you will at some point want both, nothings as dumb as everyone stacked up on the same airplane with no opposition to shoot.

i prefer the mig 21 the option for radar missile's the greater speed and more ammunition (can take 6 AA missiles vs 2 in the f5e)the grom AGM, ECM pod and nuclear bombs. more history and great complexity (engine cone radar and more) and his own APU so you dont need ground power

but the f5e has his own things like fuel balance and he is better dogfighter at lower speeds

Edited by shab249

I think that depends on what you intend to do. If you've been flying American jets before (like me on the A-10C), it's a lot easier to accomodate with the F-5 cockpit. When I take a look at the MiG-21 cockpit, it looks like an alien spaceship to me. :doh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

f5 is objectively the better aircraft, its almost clinical in its execution, but the mig21 has a lot more character, its not perfect and it's got a lot more ways for you to mess up but when you do tame it the victories taste that much sweeter.

if you want to fly mp you will at some point want both, nothings as dumb as everyone stacked up on the same airplane with no opposition to shoot.

Debateable, if you look at stats from ACG server and the Viggen demo competition a few weeks back. F5 however is an excellent quality module, and is a part of imho the most fun generation of aircraft.

Id go for Mig as its capable of more multirole action, carryinga greater payload, and has a much more competitive top speed and weight to lift ratio.

V.O.D.K.A. Squadron: Northern Wolves - Red ones go faster!

I have the f5 and thought about the mig21. I have picked up over 10 modules (Christmas sale)

And I have had a heck of a time figuring out the black shark2 I don't think the mig21 would be any different. I vote for having both. And I don't speak Russian, so it will take long time to understand it all. The f5 is nice if you are English, as you don't need a translation to pick up the stick.

MiG-21 - no competition. The F-5 is a training aircraft with a couple sidewinders bolted on. MiG-21 is a multirole war machine!

Also F-5 is ridiculously priced considering it's capabilities.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

My advice - DON'T look at the modules themselves. From this perspective it's like a windows vs. linux discussion. Look at the wider context:

1. If you like one the planes more in reality for whatever the reason is - just get it.

2. Content. MiG-21 is not best in this area - it's a great module itself but the stock training missions are quite specific (due to humor which some may like, some not) while the stock campaign is rather poor. There is a community made dynamic campaign for MiG-21 which has positive reviews but personally I can't comment on it as I didn't try it out.

F-5 I don't know, one of a few modules that I don't have (due to point no 1).

As for the payware content, at the moment if you have NEVADA for F-5 you can get a payable Aggressors Basic Fighter Maneuvers campaign.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Don't have the F-5 and don't intend on getting it . but i am very much happy with the Mig21 its my fav module. I don't do combat anymore left that years back , just do normal flights and some maneuvers and managing the engine , it's fantastic.

Edited by humptydumpty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

Get both i am sure you will not regret it. I hope one day it will be in my 60-70's era collection next ti the bis and the A-7 and hoggits A-4 :-)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

MiG-21 - no competition. The F-5 is a training aircraft with a couple sidewinders bolted on. MiG-21 is a multirole war machine!

that is a false. F5 is not a "trainer" it is a multirole combat capable plane, albeit a economical export solution, which succeeded in giving poorer nations a comparable lightweight tactical fighter ( in some ways superior) to counter to the Mig21 which while having multirole function is really a Interceptor-Fighter at heart. for a multirole war machine the F5E sure makes the better fighter-bomber, and has some avionics that are better. yea the mig21 has the Kh23 guided beam missiles, but overall its max carry capacity for bombs or rockets is very modest in comparison to what the F5 can carry. both are short legged, but nonetheless, An F5 with external tanks can still outrange the mig21bis even when it has fuel tanks equipped, so an F5 can stay in the fight longer and/or fly out longer distances before bingo fuel.

sure the mig21 can mount more missiles, but going out with max loadout will that create very noticable drag & affect maneuverability. whereas having 2 missiles on wingtips affects maneuverability much less than having 2 missiles under wing hardpoints. having 2 missiles on the F5 is not as big a disadvantage. its tolerable since it has the all aspect aim9P5, while in comparison R60M is a "limited" all aspect.

the F5's layout is just overall better. An aircraft should not create extra workload on the pilot. with unnecessary amounts of switchology ( a trend in legacy russian aircraft when compared to western aircraft) the pilot should keep his focus on scanning the skies or in front him or other related combat tasks. the F5E is cockpit and switchology is more pilot friendly, and its flight characteristics are more forgiving. something that any aircraft designers should strive for.

it also has a better radar with off boresight tracking, and proper RWR, and its gunsight solution is overall better too, in conclusion? the F5? A trainer? no way hose.

Ultimately in the end i recommend buying both if you can spare the cash or get a opportunity on a sale, but of the two i prefer the F5E. underrated aircraft.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

@Kev2go

To me the F-5 is just the T-38 trainer with extras. Sure it has a better RWR and modern avionics but personally speaking I still have a thing for the MiG-21. I think it's probably to do with the fact I've got a good number of hours clocked in it. Once you become familiar with switch & button locations and learn the procedures the MiG-21 becomes second nature. A pilot whom is a master of his aircraft is a deadlier weapon than a noob in a more modern aircraft.

But yeah the MiG-21 is certainly my bag! But I guess each to their own, a Russian Su-27 pilot probably wouldn't like the layout of the F-15C if he had the chance to operate it.

Intel i5-8600k | EVGA RTX 3070 | Windows 10 | 32GB RAM @3600 MHz | 500 GB Samsung 850 SSD

@Kev2go

To me the F-5 is just the T-38 trainer with extras. Sure it has a better RWR and modern avionics but personally speaking I still have a thing for the MiG-21. I think it's probably to do with the fact I've got a good number of hours clocked in it. Once you become familiar with switch & button locations and learn the procedures the MiG-21 becomes second nature. A pilot whom is a master of his aircraft is a deadlier weapon than a noob in a more modern aircraft.

But yeah the MiG-21 is certainly my bag! But I guess each to their own, a Russian Su-27 pilot probably wouldn't like the layout of the F-15C if he had the chance to operate it.

well T-38 is merely just a trainer based on the F5 ( F5A) not the F5E. Mig21 also has trainer varaints, even mig23 has the B/BM trainers version.... so i guess by that logic each combat capable aircraft is subjectively just a trainer with a few + features lol.

i too have good number of hours clocked into it.. i bought when it was still early in open beta. long before there was an F5 even anounced. I still prefer the F5. again its pilot freindly and thats makes it winner. better cockpit visibility is nice too. even though i myself know switchology inside out of both aircraft. that still less things to think about even if it became second nature.I believe me it makes a difference and im sure even a real life combat pilot tend to appreciate ease of use as long as it does not sacrifice capability.

an equally good pilot in more modern, yet more simple aircraft will have an edge, not that this is nessarily the case with the F5 vs the 21.

M2000C is very straightforward for a 4th gen aircraf,t and certainly more so than say a Mig29 ( if it was full fidelity) while also offering better avoinics package than it or F16A.

depends. su27SM has MFD'S and updated avionics. the layout is different yet similar enough to western avionics and layout . again cant compare as the su27 and mig21 and just like F5 and F15 are entire generation apart. multiple MFDS offer a potential for a pilot too choose where he/she prefers to have thier radar and weapons stores display.

However its worth noting that Even russian designers who studied F5E given to them from the Vietnamese, took note of its layout, and ease of use. For eg the good example to use: the weapon stores display and switches is very logical, shows a line of he fuselage/wings and hardpoints under them. Look at su25 and Su27 weapon store section? look familiar? ( hint inspiration taken from F5 with a digitized approach)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

@al531246 if you're so much into MiG-21 I encourage you to read about it's history. Its a great plane, especially looking from the time when it was build but it is has not been designed as a multi-role or even a fighter.

The original request was a high altitude, all weather, day/night interceptor. The war doctrine during this time was assuming a ride of bombers carrying nuclear weapons, most probably attacking in big numbers during a night. Such raid would be detected by long range ground radars which crew would direct the interceptors. Another assumption during this time was that guns were not needed as the standard dog-fight was seen as a relic of history. For those reasons MiG-21 was designed as fast, quick to start, short range interceptor, with a really short range radar set to scan up (more just lock targets which are expected in given area), no on-board guns and equipment allowing to navigate and land during night and poor visibility conditions.

Well, most of the assumptions shortly proved to be wrong. External gun pods were designed, afterwards bis variant was the first to get the on-board guns. As during that time MiG-23 was too expensive for many countries and a lot of 21's were in service the platform was extended with possibility to curry more armament. Not much could be done with the radar as the nose provided an extremely limited space. To fit a bit better radar a whole nose of the bis variant had to be redesigned.

MiG-21 is a great plane, one of the (if not the) first 3'd gen with all aspect and all weather/night capability. One of my favorites currently in DCS. The thing is however that it's not a fighter, nor really a multi role aircraft.

The biggest problem is that as for the moment we've got a poor SP campaign that didn't focus so much on showing the real potential use of the plane as it was expected in early 70's. Not even mentioning that MP is far away from anything that 21 was expected to do.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I agree about the price thing A10C cost less and can do more but they are from diffrent time so i would still go for a mig 21

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We can argue about this until the cows come home but from a purely capability point of view the MiG-21 is the better aircraft. That's not to say the F-5 is useless, it can perform. But in a head to head setting with pilots of equal (decently skilled) ability the MiG should have it in the bag the majority of times.

Ultimately Bushido (original poster) you buy what you want. If you like the US style layout and have a generous wallet get the F-5. If you want a steeper learning curve & multirole capable airframe get the MiG-21.

If I had to recommend one module outright it would be the A-10C. It's just the best.