Constant stuttering

I stopped playing DCS for about a month or so and there has been a few updates since, it seems. Now that I've come back to it I'm constantly getting 1-2 second stutters every few seconds when playimgin a multiplayer server and its absolutely unplayable. My framerate is very good (around 60 - 90) but no matter how low I set the graphics it keeps stuttering. I checked to make sure I had the latest nvidia driver and I do. I'll try rolling back to a previous driver see if it helps but if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Edited by IonicRipper

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is the stutter happening every time you start DCS?

I, on an upgraded system, started to get weird stutters as well. I have opened a thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178985

If you scroll a bit down you see a couple of points I have been looking at, trying to figure out what's going on. Though I have not been able to do so as of now..

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, but of an update. The stuttering has gone down a bit after a few patches but still get the occasional little hickups. It usually happens when I turn my view in a new direction when first starting a mission or when firing a certain weapon for the first time. It also happens when making a violent maneuver or on touchdowns when landing.

I'm guessing my graphics card might be the culprit here. I've been slowly upgrading my PC part by part but been putting off changing the GPU for a while now. I'm just worried to spend all that dough on a 1060 6gb and have the same stutters.

Thoughts?

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2GB is not enough VRAM, you are probably having "evict allocation" occurences.

Kdsw0Th.png

The System RAM has to be used instead of VRAM and it has to swap back and forth, but it is not swapping properly with DCS, it also causes storage reads, and the GPU utilization goes down, making the frame drop, because this game engine cannot continue until all the textures are fully loaded/available.

You need at least 3GB VRAM GPU for old Caucasus. And probably over 4GB for NTTR but I don't know for sure about NTTR.

Also the common idea that a fast CPU is not needed for gaming, is not true for DCS, just a reminder.

To answer your question about the the new GPU, yes, the new GPU won't fix all of the issues completely, after a first cold boot it should be better, hope that developers take my feedback.

You have to set Preload Radius to maximum when you have the new GPU.

I'm at work with new research and a new thread into this, while it's a lot better with enough VRAM, the loading/preloading/caching system still needs work to make it really good. You can start by giving your support in my thread when it's posted, I'll give you a heads up.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

2GB is not enough VRAM.

You need at least 3GB VRAM GPU for old Caucasus. And probably over 4GB for NTTR but I don't know for sure.

Also the common idea that a fast CPU is not needed for gaming, is not true for DCS, just a reminder.

just a bit of correction

2GB VRAM is just the minimum required amount of VRAM...

how high did you set your graphical settings IonicRipper? if you don't have them already on low, i'd suggest you to lower them

just a bit of correction

2GB VRAM is just the minimum required amount of VRAM...

how high did you set your graphical settings IonicRipper? if you don't have them already on low, i'd suggest you to lower them

That would be technically, but it was 1500MB in lowest settings except native 1440p resolution, over the course of a session that could get closer but probably never over.

But, in practise, people have other stuff open like browsers, which would kinda make it to 2MB if you have a few windows and a forum open.

So probably okay. but in practise, I tested with everything maxed out:

Cold:

2rS3zYl.png

Max Settings:

FY4Xo8e.png

But this is a bone dry test, it's usually grows to 2600 MB and I normally have a few browsers open.

So for practical purposes, for you to not close all of the background stuff, 2GB won't cut it, but 2GB minimal is probably technically right.

However again, it's not completely fixed with a lot of VRAM, there's still lag when I have everything maxed out while being well above the specs and 80FPS.

EDIT:

I should have noted that this "max settings" scenario is on a totally empty map.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria