Roll Trim technique?

I am mastering the 109, I think it's a fantastic module!

Question:

What is your preferred method for controlling your roll trim?

I imagine that the torque of the engine is causing the plane to roll, but I'm sure the pilots compensated for this somehow. Are you adjusting prop pitch, rudder?

I understand there is NO feature for adjusting roll trim, as this was not included in the design of the original aircraft.

I'm all over the place in my attempts, and I'm sorry to say, I'm too inexperienced to work this out without a couple pointers. I'm shooting in the dark.

Thanks for sharing!

Hello,

The 109 is one of my favs also. on the main page click on settings (the little gear at the top), then click 109 and miscellanies, the trim ground settings are in there. slight rudder helps.

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Usually I fly with manual propeller pitch and use recommended cruise settings.

If I need more trim I use a slight amount of rudder.

I have tested with the trim settings in the DCS settings Misc. tab, but I experienced that while I could get slightly better trim at cruise, it changed the higher speed handling to the worse.

So decided to leave it be a stock settings.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Usually I fly with manual propeller pitch and use recommended cruise settings.

If I need more trim I use a slight amount of rudder.

I have tested with the trim settings in the DCS settings Misc. tab, but I experienced that while I could get slightly better trim at cruise, it changed the higher speed handling to the worse.

So decided to leave it be a stock settings.

I've got mine at 20 left

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I imagine that the torque of the engine is causing the plane to roll, but I'm sure the pilots compensated for this somehow.

Is not exactly the engine torque but propeller "precession" that cause the roll and nose down, in Bf 109 you control this adjusting throttle and P.Pitch for the "cruise speed".

This plane has their fixed rudder trim tab adjusted for fly straight at given speed, the "cruise speed".

You can tune this speed with the suggest slider in plane options.

Of course if you increase the angle in trim tab need fly more fast - what "virpilots" normally do. :)

Usually, what you do to compensate engine torque caused rolling is ( constantly ) trimming the rudder.

How you do that with the said airframe is up to you I am afraid.

I dont like Willi too for designing it this way...why not an adjustable tab Mr. Messerschmidt ??

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Someone should sticky : this http://www.kurfurst.org/Engine/DB60x/DB605_datasheets_DB.html

This gives (table at bottom) the proper settings for rpm and manifold pressure for various flight conditions. In automatic propeller pitch mode, setting the manifold pressure to the given setting will make the rpm go to the roughly correct level. So for cruising, go for 1.35 ata, or 1.15 once you have settled at your correct altitude and bearing. Once there, with nose trimmed down a bit (amount of trim needed will depend on conditions, speed and altitude), you should be able to keep the plane centered by using your rudder only, keeping the ball centered or near center to keep the plane level. You should be able to put your hands off the stick this way.

If you want more precision, switch to manual propeller pitch control and ensure you have your pressure and rpm at exactly the indicated settings for cruising

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16