Upgrading RAM advice

Hello,

I'm getting frustrated because my DCS stops working very often during multiplayer flights. After DCS crashes I check my Windows Taskbar and it shows that i'm using 7,66GB/8GB (96%) of my memory. Today a message popped up that I had to shut down DCS because of insufficient memory. (I'm aware that 8GB is the recommended minimum RAM for DCS)

I'm considering to upgrade my RAM to 16GB with CORSAIR Vengance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9. Is 16GB RAM enough to max out the performance of all my other PC components or do I even need to upgrade to 32GB?

I also have another question: What is the bottleneck of my system that limits the graphical performance and stability?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

My system:

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD FX-8320

Vishera 32nm Technology

Socket AM3+

RAM

8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 990FXA-UD3 (CPU 1)

BIOS Version F2

Graphics

Acer H235H (1920x1080@60Hz)

4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Gigabyte)

Storage

465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA)

232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G SATA Disk Device (SSD) (DCS installed on the SSD)

Additional running software/hardware:

TrackIR + Track clip pro

Teamspeak

SR ClientRadio

HOTAS Thrustmaster Warthog

Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Edited by BJack

16GB should be fine I'm running the Huey on NTTR map pushes RAM usage up to 8GB + used out of 32GB. At leaast if you have 16GB you shouldn't be relying on paging data out to HDD which would slow things down a bit.

With RAM generally more is better!

The other performance improvement you could make might be putting DCS onto SSD I have DCS 1.5 on HDD and DCS 2.0x on SSD and the load times and in game map and textures load so much faster. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

What is the bottleneck of my system that limits the graphical performance and stability?

Your CPU. Upgrading to a last gen Intel will lead to massive framerate gains. On the memory side, 8GB should be enough to run DCS without it crashing and I don't think it should fill as quickly as you reported. I would recommend checking if you have any unwanted program or window opened in the background and eating memory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I start DCS it pretty much loads to 8GB in seconds after model/map selected. Yes I have 32GB so the system does not bother only loading whats needed. Eventually with only 8GB of system ram the OS will have to page out stuff to HDD/SSD as well as DSC and running other software 16GB would be a nice sweet spot for performance/cost.

Agree upgrading to an entry level i7 6700 and 16GB DDR4 and 1070 :thumbup: but not everyone can do this sort of thing. :(

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

When I start DCS it pretty much loads to 8GB in seconds after model/map selected. Yes I have 32GB so the system does not bother only loading whats needed. Eventually with only 8GB of system ram the OS will have to page out stuff to HDD/SSD as well as DSC and running other software 16GB would be a nice sweet spot for performance/cost.

Agree upgrading to an entry level i7 6700 and 16GB DDR4 and 1070 :thumbup: but not everyone can do this sort of thing. :(

+1

8GB may or may not work, depending on the mission and airframe you use.

COmbined wiith an HDD you have a real hurdle to take every time you load anything in DCS.

I run DCS on 8GB, 12GB, 16GB and 32GB systems....the more ram the better it loads and lately I had the option to try 8GB with HDD....OMG...just dont try it. BF would not load at all without erroring out....a simple "cold start" worked..but that was it.

I am for a reason on 32GB now, tho 16GB is still a sweetspot for DCS now, 8GB is really on the edge for many missions and MP.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks all for the quick replies and usefull advice!:thumbup:

I'm running DCS on the SSD. I don't have the intention to invest in new graphical cards and CPU's on short term. My main objective is to get a stable DCS platform which stops crashing due to insufficient RAM. Based on your advice I think I will invest in 16GB CORSAIR Vengance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 which hopefully stops DCS from crashing.

I will keep the suggested CPU's, Graphical card upgrades in mind when I decided to upgrade my pc in the future. I don't have the budget for it right now.

COmbined wiith an HDD you have a real hurdle to take every time you load anything in DCS.

You mean that the HDD is eating my RAM even when i'm running DCS on a SSD? So you suggest me to remove the HDD out of my PC?

Hdd is for non-active/cold data like your video and music files & folders, backups but you should not install demanding apps on it, neither DCS nor Photoshop etc..

OS+DCS on 1 ssd is fine, better than any of those on the fastest hdd ever made ;)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X