Bit of a pickle..

Well, last week I was thinking I had 1 GB PC2700 RAM in my computer (I should have known, I built it), but last night I opened it up, and apparently I actually had 1 GB PC3200 RAM instead. :doh: So las week I had ordered 2 GB of new PC3200 RAM, which should be delivered tomorrow, but what I am wondering, is if it will be worth it to upgrade from 1 GB to 2 GB of RAM until I build a new computer next summer or fall?

Thanks for any help.

Stupid thermals...

Probably not worth it if you are planning to build a new computer next year. AM2 and Intel platforms both use DDR2, so the PC3200 memory will not be transferrable to the new machine you plan to build.

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Definitely be careful about how much it will cost to build a new computer when you are planning on using parts from an older computer. I decided I wanted to upgrade my motherboard so that I could use the E6400 Intel processor. Since the new motherboard only supports DDR2 ram, I could not use my gig of DDR. Next, my new motherboard did not come with an AGP slot...only PCI-express....so, there goes a new video card. My new motherboard also came with only 1 IDE connection since most new hard drives now are SATA. Hence, a new controller card. The recommended power supply for my motherboard and processor is a minimum of 300 watts. I decided to still use my 250 watt power supply and it is working fine. My older computer also had the micro ATX motherboard and the new motherboard is of course ATX, so I bought a new case. Bottom line is I was only able to use my old hard drive, power supply, CD drive. I guess I have to count my monitor and other peripherals as usable also. It was definitely a snow-ball effect. I love my new computer though! :)

The recommended power supply for my motherboard and processor is a minimum of 300 watts. I decided to still use my 250 watt power supply and it is working fine.

I strongly advise you to get a much better PSU. Your 250W is deffinitely not up to scratch... you are very likely to get voltage fluctuations, and possibly even voltage spikes which can very likely damage your hardware... you are much better off by getting a decent SPU then risking your Motherboard, CPU, Video card, or what ever else... fails because of a crappy PSU.

No longer active in DCS...

I am wondering, is if it will be worth it to upgrade from 1 GB to 2 GB of RAM until I build a new computer next summer or fall?

This is a personal utility question so I would think about your overall specs. On the face of it it would seem very sensible to enjoy 2gigs for ten months.

In essence...what specs do you now have, how much did you pay for the ram and will the purchase of this ram really alter your upgrade timeline?