Engine shut off at high altitude

TBear

Thanks for all your work on this Friedrich-4/B, my curiousity is well satisfied. To celebrate, I repeated my earlier trial in the Free Flight IA mission, this time leaving the boost pump ON. No problems at all, clawed my way up to 41,000 w/o a hiccup, even w/o switching on the fuel tank pressurization.

The DCS Flight Manual and Quick Start guide could each benefit from some attention in this area. The fuel system description makes no mention of the electric boost pump at all, nor does it appear in the various checklists for start-up, warm-up, climb and landing. It's ON by default in all the IA missions which begin with the engine already running, so clearly someone appreciates its importance.

That all seems to make sense. Anyone care to explain how earlier marks without pumps or pressurised tanks got to high altitude though? How did a mark 2 with a merlin XII get so high without vaporisation?

Could it be that the increase in fuel pressure needed with the strombergs obviously requires more suction from the pump thus lowering the fuel pressure in the tank more than the normal carb equipped merlins?

Chris

Good research.

I think that covers my question...

Thanks for all your work on this Friedrich-4/B, my curiousity is well satisfied. To celebrate, I repeated my earlier trial in the Free Flight IA mission, this time leaving the boost pump ON. No problems at all, clawed my way up to 41,000 w/o a hiccup, even w/o switching on the fuel tank pressurization.

The DCS Flight Manual and Quick Start guide could each benefit from some attention in this area. The fuel system description makes no mention of the electric boost pump at all, nor does it appear in the various checklists for start-up, warm-up, climb and landing. It's ON by default in all the IA missions which begin with the engine already running, so clearly someone appreciates its importance.

Glad to be of help; I struck the same problem during one of the few flights I've been able to make (with Christmas and holidays and trekking around, visiting relies etc) and figured it had to be vapour-lock. It shows how well ED's developers have replicated the Spitfire.

And, yes the boost pump and vapour-lock would be worth a mention in the flight manual and QS guide: that should stop the air in computer rooms turning blue and vapourizing. :smilewink: