i7 vs i5

I have finally received a new Motherboard that supports 64 Gb memory. (msi Z170A Gaming Pro, Thanks son). I am looking at the i7-6700K(4.0GHz) and i5 6600K(3.5GHz). I have a Geforce GTX970 graphics card that I will be using.

The i7 is 100$ more. Is it worth it for DCS?

Thanks for any insite.

MJ

msi Z170A MB, i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4

GeForce GTX 970 4GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Acer Predator Z271, 650w PSU, Corsair Carbon500R, MS FFB 2

Based on these benchmarks:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374

I'd say that the i7 6700K is about 15% faster than the i5 6600K (10% due to higher frequency and 5% due to i7 architecture).

Now, you have to think if this 15% is or isnt worth US$ 100 :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Get i5 and save the monay for better GPU.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I think, they will both oc till around 4.5GHz with good cooling.

i5 for gaming

i7 for gaming + lots of multimedia works ( rippin' DVDs and converting media files etc... )

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If you are using your computer only for DCS (+ other games), surfing internet and MSOffice, then yea, its a no brainer: grab the i5 and save some bucks.

DCS will not use all the cores of the processor, so you won't notice a big difference between an i5 and an i7 at similar speeds (Cache, and temp throttling are usually better on i7)

On multicore optimized games, i7 will perform better

*Edit: also, DCS depends more on CPU than on GPU, it does not use the GFX to their max capabilities, so there is a level where a better GFX wont make a lot of difference in this game.

If you are planning to use it for other applications ...

Video editing, Programing, Image editing, 3d design, MathLabs, complex calculations... or you tend to have a lot of apps running at the same time, i7 is the answer.

Are these numbers really worth extra Price?

It depends how much you value your time ... a 10% difference in a process that takes hours to complete, its a lot of difference. Compressing videos for instance, compiling huge applications (as a developer).

In those cases, for me the answer is yes.

For gaming only, I'm not sure...

Edited by harm_

Unless you do a lot of heavy processing, like video editing, the I5 will do just as well for DCS really. If money is not a factor and you want the extra, go for it but not really needed just for DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

*Edit: also, DCS depends more on CPU than on GPU, it does not use the GFX to their max capabilities, so there is a level where a better GFX wont make a lot of difference in this game.

That is only true for the current "OLD" Caucasus map.

With NTTR the story looks very different, GPU usage up to 99% ( perfect actually ) is common and not the exception.

DX11 alone uses 2 cores for doing the graphic work, 1 for DCS, 1 for sound = 4

The i5 is a valid CPU, but with NTTR and other DX11 maps coming maybe we will see some benefit using i7's with 4 or more cores, as long as the IPC for the 1-core game calculations is still sufficient.

You also dont need the highest clocked i5 or i7, just get a midrange K version. They overclock the same usually.

So I correct my tip from above: i5 = Caucasus ready but may lack some multicore power once DX11 is properly used and 4 cores are used for the game, leaving TS, TiR, Hotas, SRS etc.. out of the equation and must be put on 1 of those 4 cores already used ( Sound might be a good candidate to do everything else but what the three others do...I can see bottlenecks ahead tbh.

I personally never ran an i5 myself, built them many times meanwhile with success for friends and customers but I always grab the i7 with 4 cores and HT for myself...just to be sure I have enough ooomps.

Also I do use my rig for VMware and my son uses it for his games, many of them are brand new and hopefully make use of the 4 extra HT-Cores.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The bottom line is that if you are ONLY using it for DCS and not any other games, and also not for anything multimedia related, then you could probably save the extra $100.

Personally, I never know what I might want to do with any given machine. I rarely game on a laptop either but I also believe in viable backup systems. In a crisis, any of my machines can handle the duties of the others, if needed.

I actually have a spare Synology NAS, on a shelf in the sim room, as backup in case something happens to them.

NOTE: I do have to admit that the extra Synology came about when I dropped one of them and the plastic case exploded and the interior frame was bent. I ordered a new one right away but then figured out that it was simpler to pry the dropped one apart, straighten the frame and put it back into service.

Lesson learned. The NAS itself is so light that if you drop it with drives installed, the weight of the drives will end up causing lots of physical damage.

2nd lesson. These things are awesome. Once I straightened everything, I just plugged it in and it fired right up. It booted correctly and connected to the network without a hitch. Also a tribute to the WD Red drives that were in it.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

HT is not an application feature.

DCS or any other app wont be able to tell a real core from a HT core tbh.

Disable 2 or 3 real cores but leave HT on and watch DCS hopping on the cores, be it real or HT.

* make a backup while you can*

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

HT is not an application feature.

DCS or any other app wont be able to tell a real core from a HT core tbh.

Disable 2 or 3 real cores but leave HT on and watch DCS hopping on the cores, be it real or HT.

* make a backup while you can*

I guess the point is that compared to i5 you don't get more physical cores with i7 - both have 4. The HT logically doubles the number of cores but the result is that 2 logical cores are backed up with a single physical core.

No intention here to prove that i5 is better than i7 but cost wise, for gaming i5 is probably more optimal choice. 4 cores is really plenty for event the latest games and while a few (if any) will take a benefit of HT. I can even recall some benchmarks showing that titles that aren't so well optimized for multi threading can run faster on i5 than on i7 (or that disabling HT in i7 showed better results in some games).

Still i7 is overall better, is it worth the 100$ more for gaming? IMO simple answer is no unless you really have money burning your pocket. Saving for better GPU, more RAM, SSD will be a much more efficient way to spend that 100$ when building gaming PC. Or save them to get an office laptop with i7.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I actually run my I-7 4820K with HT disabled, my cpu cores run a little cooler and I get very smooth performance - especially in Cliffs of Dover, for some reason with HT enabled it stutters a bunch, with it disabled very smooth.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

i7 vs i5

Watch out when priming new cpu and newest prime95, it may damage the cpu when chewing thru AVEX Code at hot settings.

Many overclockers these days warn about this issue, so you know ;)

( think it was AVX or AVEX that produced lots of heat and Watts )

Just a personal observation, DCS 2.0x and Win 10 64bit use all of my cores and virtual cores (12 of em upto 12% utilisation*) so it might be prudent to think of future proofing a Rig Build.

Yes DCS 1.5.3x didn't seem to use much more than one virtual core and maybe 1 and a bit real cores, of course could have been OS and other apps running but!

*Huey and Nevada map free flight. :pilotfly:

So if 2.0x or 2.5 are likely updates, keep your video card and add 32GB and i7 6700K and SSD for OS/DCS, to your mother board. later upgrade your video card to something better when needed which will give your rig an even longer life. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The only reason the i5 6600K is slower then the 6700K i7 is the base Clock Speed

This is only half the truth !

Be it any of the following and you will see a BIG jump ahead of the i5:

7zip winzip winrar

Handbrake

VMware

iTunes

WatchDogs

Multi I/O scenario with USB and other non hardware accelerated devices unlike Thunderbolt and Firewire ( yes, usb 1-3 is a cpu hog )

Raid via Intel ( do a rebuild to see the diff on Raid-5 )

Non-HW accelerated multiport Fax/VB

Acronis Prof. Backup software ( dial in max compression to see the i7 pull away )

Plus tons of others but this shall be enough to make clear HT has huge benefits in the proper environment

From multimedia transcoding over

I/O intense tasks down to prof apps.

Only our soon to be updated "old" DCS 1.5x just doesnt wanna hear this.

I can soon hear them, here in this forum, that their 1080s are not as fast as the other guys 1080, cuz he got more cores than 4. i really expect this to happen.

Look watchdogs, it can make use of a 6950 10core HT cpu in a good fashion.

Edited by BitMaster

The only reason the i5 6600K is slower then the 6700K i7 is the base Clock Speed

You have to specify, for gaming and any applications who don't use the hyper threading.

The improvement is 10-15% when this technology is used, for $100-$130 :surprise:

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Watch out when priming new cpu and newest prime95, it may damage the cpu when chewing thru AVEX Code at hot settings.

Many overclockers these days warn about this issue, so you know ;)

( think it was AVX or AVEX that produced lots of heat and Watts )

I agree Bit. I found that the i7 3770K can run hot (in the 70°s you are golden). Prime95 was ok for 8 hrs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-overclocking-high-temp,15512.html

Anyway, that will be a reason to update the platform. :punk:

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

1st off: Keep your 3770k, its still plenty and things dont get better if you update, rather invest in better "high-end" cooling and try to fight it from that side.

It's even harder on the 6th gen CPU, as in my sig, as the die is even smaller.

If you oc it wil still consume 130+ Watts at certain times, same as my Sandy roughly but on a much much smaller surface and a far lesser TIM.

I hoped for AMD Ryzen but that is most likely in vain as articles pop up these days saying ASmedia is doing the chipset :(

I wont even touch it if that is true. That was a bad idea from somebody at AMD.

You cant cut corners here, it either runs rock solid or its a waste. Like airplanes !

With 100% you make it up into the air and back to ground, with 99% I wouldnt even lift off, called NOT airworthy. Same applies to motherboard+cpu combo. 99% will have 1% left that will spoil your day.

ASmedia USB chipsets...well...I am not a fan of those due to not so good experiences with stability and driver care. Things that make that 1%.

Edited by BitMaster