Buying new modules for future PC build

JCook

I am in the process of building a new PC dedicated for DCS flight simming. It may be a few weeks until I get it built, however I would like to take advantage of the holiday sale and purchase some modules.

If I purchase the "on sale" modules now - I don't want to install them on my current PC, which I am decommissioning. I want to download and install the purchase modules at a later date.

How would I work this?

Yes, you can buy modules. You'll get an e-mail with the serial number for each module, then simply log in with your user I'D as part of the installation of DCS WORLD, and you'll be asked if you want to download all the modules. To activate them, copy and paste the serial number you were sent when requested.

Best to print and keep your serial number e-mails of course.

Great. That is what I was hoping for: purchasing gets me the eMails with the SN for the modules - then later after I've setup DCSWorld on the new PC I will use the info from the eMails.

----------------------

A related question is transferring my current modules. I have the FC3, A10C and Nevada modules. After I have the new PC built I plan to:

1) Use the xxx_protect program for each of these 3 modules

2) Download DCS Workd 1.5 and 2.0 and install them

3) Within DCSWorld - download the FC3, A10C and Nevada and reactivate them

4) Within DCSWorld - download the "on sale" modules and activate them

Sound right?

I also want to install all the DCS software on its own dedicated SSD separate from the OS SSD. Any problem doing that?

Thanks for the help

• 3 months later...
Great. That is what I was hoping for: purchasing gets me the eMails with the SN for the modules - then later after I've setup DCSWorld on the new PC I will use the info from the eMails.

----------------------

A related question is transferring my current modules. I have the FC3, A10C and Nevada modules. After I have the new PC built I plan to:

1) Use the xxx_protect program for each of these 3 modules

2) Download DCS Workd 1.5 and 2.0 and install them

3) Within DCSWorld - download the FC3, A10C and Nevada and reactivate them

4) Within DCSWorld - download the "on sale" modules and activate them

Sound right?

I also want to install all the DCS software on its own dedicated SSD separate from the OS SSD. Any problem doing that?

Thanks for the help

All of that will work just fine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Does DCS have any good user guides for dealing with reinstalling or transferring titles to another PC?

Aside from various forum posts, there is no guide as such.

All you need to do is deactivate the modules on the old PC then install everything on the new PC and reactivate.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Installs

cichlidfan - It looks like I have my A10C and related A10 modules installed on my new PC. I have deactivated DCSW2 on my old PC.

Q: Am I correct in assuming I need to download DCSW2 from the website (not from within DCSW1.x)? And then my Nevada scenery should show up there and I can apply the license to activate it on the new PC?

Q: Will the A10C (already installed in DCSW1.x) appear in DCSW2? Or, do I need to download that again for DCSW2.

Edited by JCook

cichlidfan - It looks like I have my A10C and related A10 modules installed on my new PC. I have deactivated DCSW2 on my old PC.

Q: Am I correct in assuming I need to download DCSW2 from the website (not from within DCSW1.x)? And then my Nevada scenery should show up there and I can apply the license to activate it on the new PC?

That is correct.

Q: Will the A10C (already installed in DCSW1.x) appear in DCSW2? Or, do I need to download that again for DCSW2.

You will have to install it again, through the module manager that you will find inside DCSW2. However, it will not need to download anything again. It will detect the A-10 is installed in 1.5, and copy the files from there.

Check my F-15C guide