Wheel brakes too strong.

Dr_Watson

Hi all

New to the Hawk. I don`t have pedals, so use a throttle button to apply wheel brakes.

Current strength of the brakes is like a parking brake or emergency brake, as soon as I press them at any speed, they seem to lock up and it`s hard to hold the centre line.

Is there any way to change the strength to a mid level to make the aircraft slow in a more controllable fashion?

I try and use aero braking, but this isn`t so typical in the Hawk, and in DCS, the nose tends to lower too easily as soon as the main gear hits.

Thanks for any feedback.

• ED Team

use the controls indicator to see how much pressure you are putting on the brakes

RCtrl + Enter

It will help you judge how much key hold or release you should use

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

Are you turning on the anti skid?

The Hawks brakes are really good in real life and you don't aero brake the Hawk. In fact l love flying it in DCS and it lands just like I remember it. Now I just want the rear seat controls to work :).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I hear you. Could be that the Hawk break mapping when used as a button, slams your brakes to the maximum which makes safe stopping difficult. The breaks are very powerful (it is a light aircraft), so having the binary control give you all-or-nothing is suboptimal. I feel it should accumulate brakes pressure the longer you hold the key, so you could ease the pressure by letting go of the button for a short while.

The problem with pedals is that the real ones have a significant resisting force, so pushing the brakes to the maximum requires some effort. On your regular off-the-shelf PC pedals the friction on toe brakes is many times non-existent, making the brakes feel overpowered because they are so easy to slam to the floor.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

The real solution is to use an analogue control and you'll have all the control over brake pressure you'll need. They will still lock up if you use them at too high a ground speed, or apply them too firmly.

A digital brake button is just too much of a bodge, so you'll always struggle with using it.

I hear you. Could be that the Hawk break mapping when used as a button, slams your brakes to the maximum which makes safe stopping difficult. The breaks are very powerful (it is a light aircraft), so having the binary control give you all-or-nothing is suboptimal. I feel it should accumulate brakes pressure the longer you hold the key, so you could ease the pressure by letting go of the button for a short while.

Actually the key W brake isn't purely binary on/off, it does build up braking force before it reaches its full. So quickly tapping the W key may work. Of course, it can't compare with fine control of analogue axis.

The real solution is to use an analogue control and you'll have all the control over brake pressure you'll need. They will still lock up if you use them at too high a ground speed, or apply them too firmly.

A digital brake button is just too much of a bodge, so you'll always struggle with using it.

You also might want/need more resistance on the pedals. Real aircraft pedals don't slam to the floor with a gentle touch. You actually need to apply force. Oversensitive pedals are difficult to control unless you are very used to them.

Actually the key W brake isn't purely binary on/off, it does build up braking force before it reaches its full. So quickly tapping the W key may work. Of course, it can't compare with fine control of analogue axis.

Good to know. I hadn't used them myself so I wasn't sure.