Torrent download crashes router. Any way to force HTTP?

I use a linksys router WRT54GS2. Every time DCS attempts to d/l via torrent, the router immediately crashes, requiring a power cycle to fix. If I'm fast, I can cancel the torrent and force HTTP d/l and everything works fine. Usually I'm too late and by the time I cancel the torrent my router is already down. At this point the HTTP will timeout and I have to repeat the cycle.

I've learned to wait until I see the dialog box asking to try HTTP, power cycle the router, then click to continue HTTP.

Is there a way to force the HTTP as the first option? Why does my router crash?

I can use other torrent clients w/o issue.

I have noticed a similar problem, except my router won't crash but after a while my connection drops(have to release, renew ip adress) maybe the torrent creates too many connections that causes a problem?

Intel i5-9600k - Asus TUF Z390 - 32GB DDR4 corsair - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Seasonic 620W - SSD Crucial, HDD Seagate

Old story with file sharing apps.

The reason is the number of connects being done by edonkey/emule/mldonkey/bittorrent etc..

Back in the days when we fired up mldonkey on SuSE it almost crashed the entire campus due to

numerous connections/sec...tilting almost any Cisco the Über-Admin had....not really tilting...but enough to make that old long hair admin go WILD :)

He visited us from time to time and told us that at about sharp 6pm when all offices close down the network skyrockets up...due to mldonkeys kickin' in :) HEHE

Get another router ! It is a BAD sign if your router has such a small CPU and Memory that it cant handle a single, low connection count file-download like DCS, honestly.

see above to steer around that, click "CANCEL" and go to http :)

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X