What is a max graphics, lag free setup for Oculus Rift?

WelshZeCorgi

If DCS utilized multiple CPU cores and ran with SLI as well as nvidia's new SMP, a 6950X with three 1080ti's might do it. Absent that, there is no hardware to accomplish what you want.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I have Intel 6700K @4.4GHz plus GTX 980ti OC and it's not enough to run DCS 1.5 on max settings.

I use pre-defined VR settings with supersampling set to 1.5 and some planes/helis can drag fps down to 30-40. For example Ka50 when you fly low over a big city with turned on Shkval.

If you have over 200 fps on full HD monitor on high settings you will have lag free game in CV1. VR eats 2-3 times more fps than a single 1080p monitor.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

If DCS utilized multiple CPU cores and ran with SLI as well as nvidia's new SMP, a 6950X with three 1080ti's might do it. Absent that, there is no hardware to accomplish what you want.

SLi is Pointless Since SteamVR and OculusVR both do not use SLi

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sometime ago ED announced their adding or including something that would support SLI. ED said that they will support SLI in their upcoming new graphics engine..Edge. I purchased two 780's in a new computer build at that time in anticipation of their stated support of SLI. As I recall it took over two years to program this new graphics engine and ED dropped SLI support. And as of a few weeks ago's announcement, ED is re-doing the lighting feature that was also announced in that new engine years ago. This is probably due to the support of new dx11 modes.

So I would agree that SLI is pointless in DCS. I do however not know if ED is supporting Nvidia's 3-D? I believe that ED is supporting Occulus at this time.

SLI support is a mixed bag....I have read other games do take advantage of SLI...but Occulus currently does not take advantage of this....but reading more information it seems like they are working on SLI support.

It's quite a surprise to learn that, you'd think that a physics intensive sim like DCS would be making the most of every core they could get hold of, after all we've had multi core cpus for quite a while now. Is multi core planned for the future, or would that be too fundamental a rewrite of the engine?

I suppose when you look at the AI physics/explosions etc you can see where compromises have had to be made, so that makes sense now.

The age of VR might eventually signal the time that SLI comes of age and finds a purpose; there's something neat about the idea of one graphics card per eye.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

My specs

i7 5930K at 4.3Ghz (6 core processor)

32GB DDR4 running XMP

EVGA GTX1080 FTW

DCS on an SSD

And I cannot run this game on max settings with the Rift!

Why do you expect to? You cannot run this game on max settings without the rift with those specs and maintain a decent framerate right? Ill give you an example, turn everything on and go to Tiblisi and look at the city, HUGE performance drop in FPS. Now, you are probably running on a monitor that is doing 60FPS, and even so @ 30 FPS everything looks fine, but on the rift you need a minimum of 45, and even then 90fps is recommended. Add in the fact that you are rendering each frame the equivilant of 2x (1x per eye perspective) to produce the 3d effect and you can see why you cannot achieve this. It makes perfect sense that you cannot achieve this on the current engine, it wasnt written with the optimizations required for VR. The hope is that 2.5 includes a lot of VR optimizations and hopefully we will see this sometime this year.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

It makes perfect sense that you cannot achieve this on the current engine, it wasnt written with the optimizations required for VR. The hope is that 2.5 includes a lot of VR optimizations and hopefully we will see this sometime this year.

That's a very good point, most of my current favourite VR games; DCS, Project CARS, FSX, Aerofly FS2, were written long before VR came along, and they have been retro fitted to work (maybe not FS2) so it's pretty impressive they work in VR at all. Just think what will happen when VR support is deeply integrated into the game engines, a bright future ahead I hope. I think in the long term, driving and flying will be a pretty consistent niche for VR and as the headsets get more accessible, it will bring more people into the hobby.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Why do you expect to? You cannot run this game on max settings without the rift with those specs and maintain a decent framerate right? Ill give you an example, turn everything on and go to Tiblisi and look at the city, HUGE performance drop in FPS. Now, you are probably running on a monitor that is doing 60FPS, and even so @ 30 FPS everything looks fine, but on the rift you need a minimum of 45, and even then 90fps is recommended. Add in the fact that you are rendering each frame the equivilant of 2x (1x per eye perspective) to produce the 3d effect and you can see why you cannot achieve this. It makes perfect sense that you cannot achieve this on the current engine, it wasnt written with the optimizations required for VR. The hope is that 2.5 includes a lot of VR optimizations and hopefully we will see this sometime this year.

Go and look at the question posed by the OP and then re-read my reply.

Im saying you cannot run this game at max settings, all the things you said were implied.

Go and look at the question posed by the OP and then re-read my reply.

Im saying you cannot run this game at max settings, all the things you said were implied.

Gotcha, read out of context i guess, thanks for clarifying

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I don't think its possible to run DCS in VR at max settings, but then I don't think you need to in order to get a 'blow your socks off' VR experience. I can maintain a constant 45fps (ASW on) in DCS 2.0 and everything is very smooth and fluid.

The 'best' way I have found to force my framerate down is to fly at 600kts at 100ft down the strip in Las Vegas looking out the side (i.e. as many 3D objects in field of view) and I get about 30fps (though does 'spike' between 26 and 45). This latter test is only to force the lowest possible framerate. In reality flying over Vegas isn't an issue; take-off and landing at McCarren get 45fps.

I'm going to stop looking at the framerate counter from now on and enjoy the immersion! Life is too short.