Unable to resolve VR performance issue

Exigeous

So almost 2 months ago I opened a ticket about major issues I was having. In short every 3-4 seconds I get a "stutter", the game pauses for a second, dropping a number of frames. I play in VR and if you've used VR you know how important a smooth framerate is. I've spent easily 40 hours trying to fix it. I've done everything, and I mean everything that I and anyone else could think of. Think I'm exaggerating, have a read here.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176326

If you didn't read I've stripped everything down to 1 monitor, keyboard and mouse. No VR, no triple screens, no HOTAS, no anything. Same problem. I'm running a i7 4770k, 32GB RAM, SSD and GTX 1080 so not exactly old. It's a gaming only PC and I play MANY AAA titles in VR and out, notably Elite Dangerous which in VR with ultra settings is very demanding. It and all others are perfect. Okay, enough about that.

After a month with not a single suggestion from support (with only 2 replies, one saying "what else can advise to people with 20-years IT experience") I finally asked for a refund with the reply "please wait, we will do it as soon as possible". Over the next month FIVE times I replied asking for an update and was met with silence. Today I check and see that 6 days ago I was asked another "have you tried this" question (again no suggestions), completely ignoring my repeated requests for a refund after the statement all I needed to do was wait. Oh and the kicker - the case is now "Auto Closed".

Obviously I've opened yet another case referencing the first. I've seen bad support before, I have been in the industry for 20 years now so I've see a lot. This is definitely in my personal top 5. In 2 months I've updated the case 14 times, 4 of those having an extreme amount of technical details (again if you haven't just glance at the post from above). I've gotten 4 replies, no suggestions, with one saying to wait for a refund. I've now easily spent 50 hours of my time on a game I haven't gotten to play or enjoy for 5 minutes. A game I spent $50 on.

Am I alone? Have others experienced this level of supreme incompetence? At some point I suppose I just have to move on and eat the $50. I know that's their hope, that I'll finally just give up. I try to fight this kind of thing but sometimes you just can't win I suppose. Is it me? Are my expectations too high?

Okay, rant over. I at least feel a little better now....

~X

I have nothing to say about vr performance or customer support because all is going well with my system (which is less powerful then yours), but could you post a track where you get bad performance or stutters so that others might duplicate the issue.

Only thing I can say at the moment is that I'm sorry that you are experiencing this much difficulty. I think the support is generally good, so I hope you will get your refund or solution soon.

Apologies for lack of responses, I have asked someone to look at tickets.

Also, Upon reviewing your thread, the one CONSTANT is your i7-4770K is Hitting 75°C, Rated Max Temp for that Processor is 67°C, and is Likely Throttling at 75°

Throttled CPU Threads can Cause Bottlenecks and FPS Drops. Expecially in DCS.

Your CPU should NOT be hitting 75° using only 33%, Especially if it's Not Overclocked, and Especially using Aftermarket Cooling, You have a Cooling Problem somewhere: TIM, Mounting or Fans.

I know several users that barely pass 50°c running Prime95 on all threads w/ 100% Usage.

I'm Extremely surprised No One mentioned that after your videos were posted.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

And try reducing the clock speeds of your 1080. I have the same card and it gives me problems (crashes) running at stock speed in DCS. I underclocked the core & memory 100 MHz. Disable all non essential services in windows. On my system apple services cause severe stutters.

Edited by MainSail

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

Well I guess I'm gonna take a stab at this.

I'm sorry you have this problem and could not find a resolution. I have some

outstanding issues also but I'm going to try to put this in perspective.

I have lots of games as well but I will tell you that I do not look at DCS the

same way I look at AAA titles like battlefield etc.

For many of us here this is a flight sim of the type we only could dream of

many years ago, and we have seen so much innovation and expansion over

the last few years that we realize the coders are on the bleeding edge all

the time.

We are now seeing the transition from one graphics engine to a new

improved engine and at least two versions of the software waiting to be

integrated into a third unified version. As well VR is relatively new to DCS

and it looks to have a great future although it still needs work.

I guess most of us who have been around for a while realize just how clever

these guys are and how complex this software has become.

We simply expect this is a constant work in progress and accept that there

are going to be many bugs introduced and squashed regularly.

This is a niche market that we all hope becomes more mainstream

(because we love this stuff) which means limited $$ which also means

at this time limited resources, manpower and support wise.

The rig you are running is one I can only dream of owning at this time but I

will tell you I still love this sim running it on less than ideal hardware and

can ignore having a stutter here and there because I know eventually as the

hardware and software improve over time inevitably I will have the near

perfect experience we all would like.

I'd like to see you hang in there with us and waste alot of time like we do

because we simply love this sim.

Perhaps read this post in 12 months and realize that somehow that nasty

bug went away like magic.

I can't promise you that it will but I can promise you that if you stick with

this sim you will find many ways to enjoy it.

• Like 2

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fixen, he posted vids on the first page of aforementioned thread. Just flying around unmodded map, outside urban areas, no big combat action around. Wouldn't expect such severe stuttering there, not with this beefy rig of his. Tracks won't help us.

Skate might be on to something. 75 is just stupid for non-OC'ed K series CPU, mine wasn't hitting that even on stock cooler. With aftermarket one, something ain't right here.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team

Also, Upon reviewing your thread, the one CONSTANT is your i7-4770K is Hitting 75°C, Rated Max Temp for that Processor is 67°C, and is Likely Throttling at 75°

Throttled CPU Threads can Cause Bottlenecks and FPS Drops. Expecially in DCS.

Your CPU should NOT be hitting 75° using only 33%, Especially if it's Not Overclocked, and Especially using Aftermarket Cooling, You have a Cooling Problem somewhere: TIM, Mounting or Fans.

I know several users that barely pass 50°c running Prime95 on all threads w/ 100% Usage.

I'm Extremely surprised No One mentioned that after your videos were posted.

I will be honest Skate I missed the temperatures in those videos, they are certainly high for the cpu usage.

Regarding support

I don't think support have intentionally been unhelpful, it is an unusual case, an IT professional like yourself would generally know the troubleshooting that needs to be done. Most users are using VR and DCS without stuttering, certainly some users do see it, but why is often a mystery, and generally a hardware or driver issue. As far as I can tell they have tried everything they can to assist and drawn a blank. Which is unfortunate.

I was wondering why you spent money to try dcs when it is a free simulator with two free aircraft? you could have experimented without any risk.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Fixen, he posted vids on the first page of aforementioned thread. Just flying around unmodded map, outside urban areas, no big combat action around. Wouldn't expect such severe stuttering there, not with this beefy rig of his. Tracks won't help us.

Skate might be on to something. 75 is just stupid for non-OC'ed K series CPU, mine wasn't hitting that even on stock cooler. With aftermarket one, something ain't right here.

Ah, I see. 75 degrees C is indeed very high for such a low usage.

It's not a VR Issue, as he's having the same performance stuttering in NonVR as well.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just read the main thread,

It looks like you noted the suggestion about the CPU temps but both times said you've checked the case fans and they are working now and temps are still normal 80 degrees, that's very high

have you actually removed the cpu heatsink and cooler and reapplied thermal paste and made sure the heatsink & cpu cooler are seated properly and making contact to cool the cpu properly.

another suggestion is making sure you have system managed pagefile set on your drives, I find having it run on SSD's only eliminated any stutter i had, if i run a pagefile on my HDD i get large stutters again.

Edited by Dingo_Bob

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

I don't know if you have a Solid State Drive (SSD) fixed for me stuttering a long time ago. Buy 2. One for windows and one for DCS. It helps immersive..

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• 5 weeks later...

This might sound weird, but have you checked v-sync is off? I'm sure it never made a difference to VR before, but it certainly does now. Caps it to 45, but it doesn't feel like 45 which is very misleading. I only noticed this yesterday. Turning v sync off put me back to 90fps smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out my F15C BFM & ACM Training Missions:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2167735/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]