Countermeasures

2-niner

Hey,

I'm wondering how countermeasures work in DCS because I've read that it was standard practice for the Viggen to fly in groups where only one aircraft were carrying countermeasures for the whole flight, but would this tactic work in DCS?

Basically what I'm asking is: If for example a SAM locks and fires on Viggen A, which is not carrying countermeasures and Viggen B, which is in close formation, starts dropping chaff, will this have a chance of spoofing the missile? Or does it only "count" in DCS if the aircraft being targeted is the one dropping countermeasures?

The AJS can carry countermeasures in an external pod; there's also an external pod with a jammer. They use the wing hardpoints so you can't carry the famous anti-ship missile with them - which is presumably why only one would carry the countermeasures, and lay a 'chaff corridor' to distract the enemy radars while the other aircraft carried out the attack.

As far as I know in DCS you can't spoof missiles that are locked on to another aircraft, so unless there's changes made to the system or some special provision is somehow made for the Viggen, then I don't think this tactic would work.

I think what basically happens is every time an aircraft emits a flare or chaff, the game checks if any missiles (and maybe aircraft radars?) currently have a radar or IR lock on that aircraft, and then randomly decides (based on the missile's sensitivity to countermeasures) whether it has broken the lock or not. There's probably also a cooldown period before the missile can start trying to lock a new/same target again.

Edit: this thread has a bunch of info about the ECM pod and RWR.

Edited by nomdeplume

I am workimg in a script that covers that matter. It is not perfect but works really well. Still work in progress.

Read the EW jamming script there a two threads. I did two scripts one makes a bubble that works as defensive ECM... All aircraft in such bubble are protected, the closer the better. Another script is for Offensive ECM this shut down enemy radars, taking into account lots of parameters. We made some compararions with the SAM simulator and it works really similar.

Wait a couole of weeks and try it. Then tell me what do you think.

I would like to make some pods like the AN ALQ 99 or so.. But this is out of my scope!

The AJS can carry countermeasures in an external pod; there's also an external pod with a jammer. They use the wing hardpoints so you can't carry the famous anti-ship missile with them - which is presumably why only one would carry the countermeasures, and lay a 'chaff corridor' to distract the enemy radars while the other aircraft carried out the attack.

As far as I know in DCS you can't spoof missiles that are locked on to another aircraft, so unless there's changes made to the system or some special provision is somehow made for the Viggen, then I don't think this tactic would work.

I think what basically happens is every time an aircraft emits a flare or chaff, the game checks if any missiles (and maybe aircraft radars?) currently have a radar or IR lock on that aircraft, and then randomly decides (based on the missile's sensitivity to countermeasures) whether it has broken the lock or not. There's probably also a cooldown period before the missile can start trying to lock a new/same target again.

Edit: this thread has a bunch of info about the ECM pod and RWR.

That's basically how I think it's probably coded now as well, since it's a simplification of reality that works well enough for most cases, but unfortunately not for the Viggen...

I am workimg in a script that covers that matter. It is not perfect but works really well. Still work in progress.

Read the EW jamming script there a two threads. I did two scripts one makes a bubble that works as defensive ECM... All aircraft in such bubble are protected, the closer the better. Another script is for Offensive ECM this shut down enemy radars, taking into account lots of parameters. We made some compararions with the SAM simulator and it works really similar.

Wait a couole of weeks and try it. Then tell me what do you think.

I would like to make some pods like the AN ALQ 99 or so.. But this is out of my scope!

So this is a mod you're working on? Or are you a representative of LN or ED? Either way I'm glad at least somebody is working on something regarding this. I guess the whole electronic warfare / countermeasures simulation as a whole might be due for a major overhaul in DCS, since from what I've read here on the forum it's pretty basic as it is now.