Next Upgrade advice

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I upgraded my rig so I would be VR ready, see the specs below. I was an idiot and didn't do my research so I got an H170 chipset instead of a Z170 with an unlocked chip. I am now looking into doing another upgrade for about 125 USD to improve performance with the Vive. Any advice on which direction I should go?

Currents Specs:

I-5 6600K

Asrock H170 chipset

SSD 120 GB - OS Only

16GB GDDR4 2133 Mhz Ram

NVIDIA GTX 1070

Currently running DCS off my non SSD drive 1TB 7200 rpm drive

Possible Upgrades I am looking into:

16GB GDDR4 Ram

new SSD for DCS & games (not sure what size yet)

New Z170 motherboard so I can overclock my CPU

Which one of the upgrades would give me the best performance boost for the money?

difficult choice but I would take the SSD first probably as that has an impact on system responsiveness. You will want a 512 GB model as they are the best for capacity/price ratio right now.

You dont absolutely need a new board for overclocking right now as the CPU is recent, maybe when you get more funds months from now, and faster memory as 2133Mhz may not be able to keep up to give the best results. Idealy, 3000Mhz mems, at least 2800.

Edited by Pilotasso

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I would also suggest another SSD to put DCS and any other games on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The is absolutely not real world benefit in upgrading anything on the list .

Just get SSD for DCS , it would make a HUGE different in how smooth the game runs and how fast it loads.

Thanks for the advice. That definitely gives me a direction. I didn't realize memory speed was that big of a deal. Guess I need to do some more research.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Memory speed from 2133Mhz to 3000Mhz will give you maybe 1 more fps. high speed memory is mainly for show (i bought 3000Mhz since the price was pretty similar at the time to 2133Mhz)

Edited by T_A

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The is absolutely not real world benefit in upgrading anything on the list .

Just get SSD for DCS , it would make a HUGE different in how smooth the game runs and how fast it loads.

Memory speed from 2133Mhz to 3000Mhz will give you maybe 1 more fps. high speed memory is mainly for show (i bought 3000Mhz since the price was pretty similar at the time to 2133Mhz)

Thanks again, looks like SSD is the way to go now for sure.

For pure fps of course the new mainboard and overclock the cpu as fast as it will go. Sell the old board and buy another SSD with 250GB that have come down in price to ~80 EUR.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

My tip would be:

SSD for DCS FIRST ! no doubt, that is needed to obey the weakest LInK in chain law !!

16GB is fine for now, 32GB is just a safety measure for new builds and guys that dont lack elsewhere, do this last if you still have money to spare, but listen to the next one, as it may interfere with RAM upgrade.

Z170/Z270 mobo: IF you buy such a board for overclocking, choose wisely:

- Get one that has enough VRMs and good Caps ( 10k or 12k ), avoid the others ( Asus Maximus series is great )

- INVEST in a GOOD GOOD cooler, in such a way that you DO NOT BLOCK your RAM slots 2 + 4 ( #2 is usually a problem due to low down cooling fins from monster air coolers ). In order to run RAM troublefree latency on the circuit is crucial and 2 modules really like slot 2+4 and not anything else, and for sure not for overclocking.

My tip for cooling just because of that reason is a AIO watercooling as it is so TINY around the CPU socket that RAM modules from 1 to 4 cause no issues at all.

Also if you move your PC around, having such a heavy cooler on the board IS a problem. Also

many towers are not wide enough so that you can close the door with the cooler mounted.

AIO WC has less hurdles to take, the only one I know of is the space for the radiator. Get the BIGGEST one you can mount. Watercooling shines with big radiators with a high volume of water and high physical mass ( passive cooling and heat absorbtion ). Dont buy a 1-fan 12cm AIO WC, that is a shot in the knee ! Get one that has 2 x 12cm or 2 x 14cm radiator at least. The bigger the better it cools after 15-30min heating it up. Once the water reaches high temps on low volume AIO's you'r caught in a trap.

Overclocking a 14nm die is a tough thing to do properly if you wanna climb high. My i7 easily consumes 130+ Watts in stress testing...ok ok..DCS is far less, but prepare for a 3h handbrake Video transcoding..that would heat it up...A LOT...and is a real world scenario.

Save some money and go for a full fledged Water Cooling, custom. It aint that much more money but you can adopt, use external radioators of brutal size and such skip noisy fans but use LARGE fans with low rpm that even shuffle more air :)

Those parts can be used longer and more flexible than any AIO you get.

OK...AIO comes for +/- 100,-€ whereas a custom loops starts at around 300-400 bucks but it can be used over and over and adopted to any need you have.

If you shoot for an AIO, get Corsair 140mm version, I also run one of those on my sons PC and it is ok, very very loud tbh, but it works...but it is miles behind my solution from sig. After 30min priming you see a BIG difference and hear a difference.

just a few tips :)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

So just an update, I ended up getting a Samsung 850 SSD and just installed DCS on the new drive. The difference is huge! I used to get stuttering when looking around in VR and when using external views. Now I get zero stutters and it seems to run a whole lot smoother. It also loads faster. Thank you everyone for the tips.

So just an update, I ended up getting a Samsung 850 SSD and just installed DCS on the new drive. The difference is huge! I used to get stuttering when looking around in VR and when using external views. Now I get zero stutters and it seems to run a whole lot smoother. It also loads faster. Thank you everyone for the tips.

:thumbup:

Good choice, have fun !

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|