F86 1st Jet Strike Fighter Mission

I'm having trouble with the first Jet Strike Fighter Mission. My wing men will not do anything I tell them, they won't even answer. The Automatic bomb drop does not work, but the manual does. I can't get any of the guns to work either. I'm new to this sim, but it seems as though this should work better than it does. Has anyone else had these problems and if so, what is the fix?

Just checked that mission, with easy comms disabled the flight members will respond on channel 1. You have to turn the radio on first, however... and while we're at it, the same applies to guns...

If You're not in the mood for RTFM (which by the way can be found in mods\aircraft\F-86\Doc\ folder), at least make an effort to read the QuikStart manual (same location) and play through training missions. You'll have to read the full one sooner or later anyway, though. Will save You lots of time in the long run.

Edit: Easy comms can be enabled in "gameplay" tab of DCS options. BUT, we ask about it, 'cause this function is somewhat glitched and might cause communication issues with various aircraft modules. With easy comms off everything will work as it should, but You will have to remember about setting up the radio correctly.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have read the QuickStart, and have read it again. I've tried both Easy Comms on and off. Set the UHF Power Switch to T/R+G and T/R and went to channel 1 (225) for aircraft and channel 3 (260) for Tower. I still get no response from either one. This only addresses the comms. I still don't think the guns will work, but haven't tried since the comms is not working. Any comments on what to do next? The first time I played this mission the flight heard and responded, but since then nothing. Is this a problem with the mission on my machine because it seems to be working on yours? This is really frustrating and just makes me want to turn it all off and walk away...

For guns: Select "all guns" with the knob and select "Guns" with the weapons selector knob

You can also look at how to do this ingame, you just need to get the book up which you can by pressing escape and then choose the option "book"

For comms, make sure you use the right frequency and channel

Are the options in the comms menu blacked out or white?

The mission planner says frequency 225 channel 1 for aircraft and frequency 260 channel 3 for tower. They are both set correctly. I tried changing the Freq Band Switch to 200-410, but when I try to change the frequency by turning the tuning crank it will only go from 410 to 800. I can't even get it to the 225 or 260 even though I'm in the 200-410 range. The options in the comms menu for the aircraft is white.

I won't even try the guns unless I can figure this out.

Thanks for the help.

I just tried another mission, the Street Sweeper. I checked the mission planner and the flight freq is 225 channel 1. After starting the sim, I checked to be sure I was on the right channel and tried talking to my wingman. He answered back, yeh. When we took off he went the other direction and I couldn't talk to him any more. I tried again and the same thing happened. I tried a third time, thinking maybe I shouldn't talk to my wingman prior to take off. So I took off and he just stayed on the runway. After I took off I couldn't reach him again. I recorded the track to see my actions. When I watched the recording back, my wingman took off but didn't do any thing. Do you think I have a problem with my module? Is anyone else having similar problems. I have other aircraft I can fly, but don't want to try if nothing is going to work right.

Any help is appreciated...

There are two different keybinds for the radio, one for on the ground and one for in the air operations. 'Communications menu' only works on the ground. Sorry, I'm not at my computer right now but iirc the one for in flight is called something PTT button or similar. Look it up in the communication subsection of the controls menu, you should be able to find it.

And regarding tuning frequencies and stuff, don't confuse your UHF radio with the radio compass. They are two completly seperate things. One is for communication, the other for navigation. ;)

Edited by spiddx

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds