DCS World Weekend News Update Discussion

terminator363

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I came back a year too early for 2.5 :)

Normandy is higher priority it seems than unification.

As long as we're speculating, I hope a fixed 1.5.6 makes it to release today.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I don't know but what I think 2.5 should be the highest priority. As they will get rid of multiple builds and free some resources. Are there any specific reasons?

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

The chance for normandy prepurchase or anything about 2.5 just decreased.

A new A-10C campaign will be released instead.

If I am correct campaign releases have no bearing on the progress of updates to the core itself. We could see something as far as updates to 1.5 and/or 2.0 in addition to the release/updates to campaigns.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I seem to remember 1.5 OB causing a massive split whilst people were playing happily on 1.2 live with great frames and the other half were on 1.5OB suffering various complaints - or the exact opposite depending on CPU/card drivers etc.

Ed haven't followed typical release profiles and versioning to date and there no reason to suspect they will start to do it now either, but I think they would like to not give us four versions of the application, so let's just not worry too much about what the name of the beast will be.

Can we remember how they released 1.5? Im not sure maybe like that.

Yea i know wishful thinking :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Let's be fair, 2.0 unified nothing, it isolated itself and got dated fast. Caucasus doesn't work on it, everything else is in development and not released, it's on it's own. It's intention was to unify. Caucasus 2.0 getting finished to get into the OA stream should simply mean 2.0 going to the live stream, but instead there's a further devlopment stream way down the line with more features and somehow we are all sold on 2.5 before 2.0 even arrives. I understand theres a bunch of light effects and new things to come, but the roadblock to them is Caucasus 2.0 and 2.0 going live.

:huh:

2.0 already unified everything except Caucasus which will just be a map like NTTR or Normandy, when it has been upgraded to the new engine. So the unification is already done. Hence why the number changed from 1.x to 2.x.

2.5 (which is a smaller step, reflected by the number change behind the dot) "just" adds some new stuff like new graphic effects, which would probably need some public testing, but more than a few weeks or months at most.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I seem to remember 1.5 OB causing a massive split whilst people were playing happily on 1.2 live with great frames and the other half were on 1.5OB suffering various complaints - or the exact opposite depending on CPU/card drivers etc.

Ed haven't followed typical release profiles and versioning to date and there no reason to suspect they will start to do it now either, but I think they would like to not give us four versions of the application, so let's just not worry too much about what the name of the beast will be.

I dont think or hope it will be as bad this time round.

Let's be fair, 2.0 unified nothing, it isolated itself and got dated fast. Caucasus doesn't work on it, everything else is in development and not released, it's on it's own. It's intention was to unify. Caucasus 2.0 getting finished to get into the OA stream should simply mean 2.0 going to the live stream, but instead there's a further devlopment stream way down the line with more features and somehow we are all sold on 2.5 before 2.0 even arrives. I understand theres a bunch of light effects and new things to come, but the roadblock to them is Caucasus 2.0 and 2.0 going live.

Please someone correct me if Im wrong, but as I understand it the Normandy map will predate 2.5. This is how it was stated by Wags, the last time the subject was mentioned in the "news" section of the forums. I know everything is subject to change but this appears to be clear.

As far as I can make out from what has been said so far:

The Normandy map will be released to some sort of 2.X version, probably in an alpha state. Which will mean that both Nevada and Normandy will share that release branch. Then at a later date the Caucasus map will be integrated from 1.5.X to 2.5 which at that point will have the ability to host all three maps.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

2.0 isn't isolated. It is the most advanced branch of DCS and recieved all the framework stuff that is needed to make things like multiple maps possible. I think you underestimate what has been achieved with 2.0, which is not suprising, because most of it works in the background. 1.5 is what is outdated and will be dropped soon.

Please someone correct me if Im wrong, but as I understand it the Normandy map will predate 2.5. This is how it was stated by Wags, the last time the subject was mentioned in the "news" section of the forums. I know everything is subject to change but this appears to be clear.

As far as I can make out from what has been said so far:

The Normandy map will be released to some sort of 2.X version, probably in an alpha state. Which will mean that both Nevada and Normandy will share that release branch.

That's all correct.

Then at a later date the Caucasus map will be integrated from 1.5.X to 2.5 which at that point will have the ability to host all three maps.

That's correct as well, although not phrased very well, because it gives the impression, that the 2.0 to 2.5 upgrade will provide the ability to incorporate all three maps, which is not quite correct. It is the Caucasus map that needs to be upgraded (to the new terrain engine) to fit into 2.x.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The hype train now standing at platform 2.5 is the Friday special to Normandy...

2 more weeks?

platform 9 and 3 quarters?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

news has arrived

1.5.6 is alive.

a-10c campaign

and bundles.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

hype is hype. you cannot prevent it.

even ed releases f-18, normandy, 2.5 in the same day, one week after we would chase for something else :D

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I think most of the hype here in this thread is more of a funny running gag thingy. Most of the comments are so ridiculously funny you can't take them seriously (my posts here for sure are ridiculous :)

Quote Vedexent: The technical term for an over ambitious ground attack pilot is "dead".

Quote SiThSpAwN: I figure 1.5 will have to buy some roses and chocolates, take 2.0 to a nice restaurant, and if it opens doors and is a gentleman, 1.5 and 2.0 might just get to merge one day.

one more week of nothing...

Sorry I really have to stop myself from saying something mean here... :D Are we looking at the same patch notes? Release of Viggen? New campaign?

I am sorry that the very specific thing you want above all (whatever that may be) is not in todays patch notes. But that are your own expectations and since we don't have any announced releases pending they seem pretty misplaced anyway. :)

Updating right now, this is a good day! <3

Well I for one am happy. Viggens to hunt and try to catch (they are fast!) in the realase branch, yay! Also great fixes for the M2000C which has become my primary jet lately. It seems to have lost performance, but this is probably a lot more realistic, which is as it should be.