Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

Dear users,

I saved money for buying the oculus rift cv1.

In my country the rift cost exactly $ 837,31 US dollars. (taxes, profit and blah, blah, blah)

The reviews are pretty good overall.

But i want to use it mainly for DCS.

What are your findings of this product for DCS?

Is it worth that bunch of money? Or shall i wait? I know there is a lot of other glasses coming to PC.

look here.....

http://heavy.com/tech/2015/07/best-vr-virtual-reality-headset-glasses-goggles-oculus-rift-specs-review/

Maybe i should wait, or buy the oculus rift cv1 right away.

The only experience i have is with my 55 inch samsung 3d TV. I don't know if the experience with the rift is much greater!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to most reviews here it's definitely worth it (just look up the forums).

A bit low on resolution but immersion is top-notch (I tried the CV1 for about 3 hours).

However, if you are patient and/or limited on budget you should wait for the next iteration.

You'll get more resolution (hopefully) - or get 1st generation devices cheaper on the second hand market.

I am myself waiting to get something with higher res, as this is a big investment (my old GTX680 won't stand a chance so I need to upgrade the GC as well), and I won't be able to upgrade anytime soon after that.

I am on the edge as well, debating whether to go ahead and take the plunge with the CV1 or wait until next iteration - course no one knows when that might be. And the more I read about it on the forums here the more I am enticed to just go ahead with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am on the edge as well, debating whether to go ahead and take the plunge with the CV1 or wait until next iteration - course no one knows when that might be. And the more I read about it on the forums here the more I am enticed to just go ahead with it.

Yeah that's the big question - when? If that comes within 1-2 years I'll wait, otherwise I'll probably get a CV1...

FOVE has more pixel and is releasing a dev kit soon, so it might be the ticket.

I hope Oculus or HTC will make an annoucement before the consumer version is released.

So, for the initial question, if you really want to do the dive now, get it, it's worth it - if you're on the edge, maybe you can wait a little bit more just in case :D

Wow... It is good to know that i am not the only one! :D :thumbup:

Yeah, the new ones are knocking on the door. I know oculus is working on the next generation. Maybe is waiting now a bit smarter.

Gaming on for a year and looking again for the great breaktrough. Pricedrop or a better product...

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Isnt vive about to release the 4k version @ 120Hz in the near future. They wont for CES that much we know but its ment to be released not too long into the future.

Thing is, even with the low res available now GPU are struggling, how will that be with 4k aiming way beyond 60Hz...say 80-120Hz desired frame rate LoL

Guess we need a 1280 GTX-Ti then...to make it happen

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Isnt vive about to release the 4k version @ 120Hz in the near future. They wont for CES that much we know but its ment to be released not too long into the future.

Thing is, even with the low res available now GPU are struggling, how will that be with 4k aiming way beyond 60Hz...say 80-120Ht desired frame rate LoL

Guess we need a 1280 GTX-Ti then...to make it happen

Only rumors so far, nothing official... If it's 4k, even if a 1080 can't run it, I would still get it, I would just run in lower res until the hardware can push all the pixels ;)

I just took the plunge over the holidays and can echo everyone else. It is just so damn cool. The sensation of being in the cockpit simply cannot be explained. You just have to try it.

That said, the limitations are there too. Yeah, resolution is low. Yeah, finding targets is tricky (to put it mildly). You will spend some time messing with settings, something I haven't managed to finalize, due to my being pretty impatient and unskilled with that side of things.

With regards to waiting, I am not sure it makes sense to. Even if they came out with a headset capable of the resolutions we are used to on monitors, it's been said that the hardware isnt there to support it. DCS doesnt utilize multi-cored CPUs or multiple GPUs. So you could be waiting for nothing. Or waiting for a really long time.

All that to say, be aware of the limitations so you arent disappointed, but also recognize that there seem to be way more people happy with it than unhappy. Which is not to say no one is unhappy, but I did a lot of reading before buying. I'd say 80-90% of buyers are happy with their purchase.

Well, feeling obliged to give my impressions as I made myself a Christmas present in form of a Rift.

Playing with a VR Headset is NOTHING like a 4k, 10k or 100k screen. A screen is still a screen but with a VR headset you are INSIDE your aircraft. You look to your left and there is Tom sitting (I named my Huey co-pilot Tom). It feels so real you want to touch him. The cockpits are so full of details, switches sticking out, boxes and wires everywhere. You lean outside the window and realize how big a Ka50 actually is, or an AIM9, or a Maverick. You have such a fantastic depth perception that it completely transforms helo flying. When I did my first helo runs with the rift my belly could "feel" the helo tilt forward. This is just beyond anything you have ever experienced in gaming.

The immersion is incredible, although flying helos profits more from that than fixed wing, as the "flying"-part is simpler in a fixed wing.

But where is Yin there is Yang.

And Yang in this VR generation is resolution. Coming from a regular monitor the VR image is very pixelated. Resolution is just not there yet. White is not white but you can make out the different individual color components and the edges are not sharp. I have trouble reading many gauges in the Huey and some labels in the A10. The Mi8 is actually the best for VR, all text is comparably big. You have to know your cockpit by heart to function effectively.

Difficulty spotting targets was already mentioned. Yes, that is tough. But flying CAS I was always bad at that. I spot my targets via the TGP and that is completely possible with the rift. Reading the small CDU screen is a different story. I am not that familiar with it so I cannot "fill in the blanks" which I am unable to read. But there is always the repeater in the MFCD.

Summary: It is a whole new world of flying. You do not sit in front of a computer anymore, YOU ARE INSIDE AN AIRCRAFT! The technical limitation bother me but would I buy it again? YES! But I am also not someone who has to pay off a mortgage.

As with everything PC and VR progress will be made and everything will be obsolete sooner or later. Early adopters always pay a premium. But as soon as a new version with double the resolution comes out I will buy that one, too.

Hope that helps.

Good thread.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Rift a couple of days ago. I got £100 worth of vouchers from work last Christmas and didn't use them. I got a further £100 this year. All those plus another £20 in vouchers got me £220 off the £549 retail price so I couldn't resist one at around 40% off!!

Unfortunately my rigs USB's don't support the rift (they are Renesas):( so I've had to get another USB 3.0 board and still waiting for it to arrive (tomorrow they say), so I'm chomping at the bit to try it out on the Spitfire.

I was sitting on the fence on this for a long time, the discounted purchase finally made up my mind to take the plunge.

I'll report back as to what my impressions of it are when I get it to work. I have had quite a bit of experience of the real thing. I am ex-RAF ground crew, and part of my old job was to carry out installed engine ground runs (great fun :)) both day and night, so know what it feels like sitting there with everything fired up. It will be interesting to see if I get a similar "sat in the cockpit" feeling with this!

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Well, feeling obliged to give my impressions as I made myself a Christmas present in form of a Rift.

Thanks for the feedback on your experience, getting closer to making up my mind. It sure sounds enticing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Good thread.

Unfortunately my rigs USB's don't support the rift (they are Renesas):( so I've had to get another USB 3.0 board and still waiting for it to arrive (tomorrow they say), so I'm chomping at the bit to try it out on the Spitfire.

Yes I would suggest anyone looking to get one to run the Occulus Rift checker from their website, it will analyze all your hardware and advise if any issues. I ran it and turns out my ASMedia USB 3.0 drivers are known to cause issues, but I found an add in USB 3.0 PCIe card I can order that is listed as compatible for the Rift.

Should I decide to pull the trigger I will be sure and have that here.

I look forward to hearing your impressions of it with the Spit! I love that plane.

Don B

Awesome comments guys. I am slowly getting closer. The only thing what i am scared for is the resolution. Can i use dsr from my gtx 980ti to get it to 2k or 4k. Would be the slammer to see things much sharper. Anybody tried that? The rift thinks it is 1080p but it is double the pixels. I do this trick with my tv and it's working perfect with more then 60 fps.

Can i use dsr from my gtx 980ti to get it to 2k or 4k.

That is what the "pixel density"-setting in DCS does. You can crank that up all the way to 2.5, meaning the image will be rendered with 2.5 times the resolution and then gets reduced to the actual physical resolution of the Rift.

But I am sorry to ruin this for you: It will not do miracles. The physical resolution of the rift is still the physical resolution! You cannot throw processing power at it and magically get a vastly better image. In my experience a value >1.5 does not do anything anymore, beyond 2.0 it makes it even worse (at least what I see looking at the A10's MFCDs).

So, sitting in the pit you will be amazed of the immersion. I am still shaking my head saying this is unbelievable. But you will also think "I wish the picture was clearer". But again, I think it's worth it.

As others have pointed out there are some limitations, but overall the experience is incredible and I'd recommend it. You can wait forever for technology to get better. Ive had the rift for 6 months I still find it amazing.

Btw, DCS VR experience is by far better than other flight Sims out there such as fsx, p3d and X-Plane. I find the frame rates and clarity I get in DCS is far superior.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That is what the "pixel density"-setting in DCS does. You can crank that up all the way to 2.5, meaning the image will be rendered with 2.5 times the resolution and then gets reduced to the actual physical resolution of the Rift.

But I am sorry to ruin this for you: It will not do miracles. The physical resolution of the rift is still the physical resolution! You cannot throw processing power at it and magically get a vastly better image. In my experience a value >1.5 does not do anything anymore, beyond 2.0 it makes it even worse (at least what I see looking at the A10's MFCDs).

So, sitting in the pit you will be amazed of the immersion. I am still shaking my head saying this is unbelievable. But you will also think "I wish the picture was clearer". But again, I think it's worth it.

Thank you Asset for all your comments. I have a much better picture of the rift.

I put it on the other thread boedha68, you are in the Netherlands, me too, I offer you an open invite to come around to my house and try it for yourself. It will answer your questions :) I live in Almere so PM me for details if you want to try it out.:thumbup:

+1

Amazing community here :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have the CV1. When I just want to experience real immersion and free-flight with beautiful scenery, I wear it. When I want to get the most out of DCS, in terms of fighting, navigating, and accessing all of the controls and simulated systems of the more complicated modules, I fall back to my 2D display with Track-IR. I find the current state of VR too limiting to pay $800+. I paid $600 for mine but as you may have guessed, I'm not totally satisfied with it. At the price I paid, I'd do it again but if I had to choose between the two different modes of flight-simulation, I'd rather have full access to all of the functionality of DCS than a the jaw-dropping 3D experience with its limitations. Otherwise, I would quickly get bored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pre ordered my rift and got it in the summer, and to be honest, it's getting better all the time. The picture quality has improved since release, due to various software tricks and updates. Agreed though that the definition is not as good as a normal 2D display. If you can imagine this, it's like being enclosed inside a spherical old fashioned CRT television that is all screen, 360deg in all directions around you, whilst wearing goggles and headphones. You can see the picture ok, but you are aware of the dot texture of the screen. The goggles limit the field of view if you keep your head still, but once you turn your head, there is 'infinite' fov.

I've tried Project Cars 1+2, Live for Speed, FSX+FlyInside, AeroflyFS2, WarThunder, and they are all excellent and I would recommend any one of them, but IMO DCS is the best one for immersion because you can feel what the flight model is doing so much better, so the Huey, Gazelle, P-51 and Spitfire are all amazing. I think it makes it easier to fly too because you have this peripheral sense of the 3D movement of the aircraft and you can stick your head out the window if you need to.

Also the sense of scale is striking, so landing the Huey on an aircraft carrier is great fun. Everything looks the right size like it never has in 2D. I can also recommend Manhattan in AeroflyFS2 for an amazing fR flying experience.

Edited by John Hargreaves

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

VR is great for casual and non-combat flying but you will struggle in a dogfight against pilot with trackir. They will spot you earlier and you won't be able to identify them (friendly or foe) until they are very close.

You will also need a high end PC to achieve stable 90 fps. Some people are happy with 45 fps but I get sick when fps drop below 90, even with Asynchronous SpaceWarp ON.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

I guess that's the difference between gaming and sim'ing. It's not like IRL you have 4K vision. And checking six is actually hard to do.

To each his own. If winning 2D based game is your thing stick with trackIR. If you want the immersive experience, go with VR. And everyone is happy. I will argue though that situational awareness, by that I mean *spatial* SA is non-existent with TrackkIR. Because your brain simply won't allow it. With VR, you get that in spades.

• Like 1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I just got my rift last week. I was hesitant on getting one because I had never had a chance to use one before. I was using TrackIR, but I never really liked it for dogfighting because the head movement and on screen display didn't feel natural so it was not ideal for me.

However, I was in Best Buy and they had the Oculus Rift on sale. For $599, it came w/ Lucky Tales, EVE: Valkyrie and a $100 gift card so I decided why not and grabbed it.

First use was awesome. I didn't use it to long the first 2 days, just to get used to it. After that I could do an hour session fine. The resolution is lower, but it isn't that bad. With pixel density on 2.5, I can read the F-15 gauges easily by just leaning in a little bit. I haven't had the need to map zoom feature. The immersion and the matural 1:1 head tracking makes tracking things so much easier for me, especially while performing BFM/ACM.

I've only used it for a week before I had to leave for a work tripI play DCS on a laptop but I didn't pack my Rift with me. So I'm stuck with using TrackIR again. I'm really missing my Rift right now. Only another month till I can use it again :(

Alienware 17 R3: Intel i7 6820HK @ 4 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, GTX 980M, 1TB Samsung NVMe 951 SSD, AW Graphics Amplifier w/ GTX 1080, TM HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Monstertech, MFG Crosswind, Jetseat KW-908