Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

I will also add in my case, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance I am getting using the Rift. Better than what I had anticipated, even in DCS 1.5

Flying the Spit take off mission, I have AA set to 8x and AS set to 16x, with sliders midway to 2/3 to right for some, and get constant 90 fps whilst flying. It goes to 45 fps ( ASW ) during takeoff and landing, but it still is very smooth. No stutters at all.

I have civil traffic set to off, water set to medium, and of course no HDR , no DOF, and mirrors off.

Going to have to fly 2.0 some later today to compare it as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dumb question guys,

So I have not yet setup DCS 2.0 to run in the Rift yet, so I wanted to go in and do so.

So I launch DCS 2.0, then it launches the Rift and is already displayed in the Rift. However I have no cursor control at all and no way to get into the settings menu to set it up for the Rift. I have to control-alt-del and close out DCS 2.0 with Task Manager.

How the heck can I get in there to set 2.0 to use Rift if it keeps starting up in the Rift?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you use numlock 5 to centre, then inside the rift you should be able to see the menu. Alt enter to go full screen, then using the cursor, look at the selections and click the mouse to select. Go to settings, VR, then select use mouse. Should get you started!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

If you use numlock 5 to centre, then inside the rift you should be able to see the menu. Alt enter to go full screen, then using the cursor, look at the selections and click the mouse to select. Go to settings, VR, then select use mouse. Should get you started!

:thumbup:

Worked a champ, thanks so much! I was pulling my hair out on that one LOL.

The KA-50 flying over Vegas in the Rift is very cool as well! I keep trying to reach out to the switches!

Don B

You can also use SkateZilla's DCS launcher and pick and choose multiple options from there, including VR.

Or you can create your own shortcut:

dcs.exe --force_enable_VR

dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Software developers who optimize their game for VR, utilizing multi-core, multi-GPU, and multi-projection will allow us to experience highly detailed worlds without sacrificing performance. The current Hardware milestones were needed to benchmark today's games and simulations. Now that we are here in VR, the doors are open for Software developers to engage these new worlds. New techniques will need to be discovered and implemented in order to balance the VR environment.

It must be crazy for developers to realize their long-time efforts easily translated into the VR world, with only minor tweaks to bring their simulation to life. Some techniques, like water reflections, were 'faked' and could not be perceived on a flat monitor, but were quickly apparent 'under the hood' (in VR) due to 3D stereoscopic viewing.

DCS World in Virtual Reality is worth every penny I spent on my CV1 and currently provides the best Multiplayer Combat Simulation experience available.

i7-6700K (4.7ghz) / GTX 1080 WC / Oculus CV1

You can also use SkateZilla's DCS launcher and pick and choose multiple options from there, including VR.

Or you can create your own shortcut:

dcs.exe --force_enable_VR

dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

Great to know thanks for the info.

Don B

So, my Rift will arrive today. I am already excited like a child on Christmas Eve...

The rest of my new system has already arrived respectively will also arrive today. The boxes are starting to pile up and my wife starts thinking "what the heck is he doing?" :D

Unfortunately I will have to wait for Saturday to set everything up, since I will be on a business trip for the rest of the week :(

Make sure you guys are around this weekend to help me in case of troubles :helpsmilie::thumbup:

Cheers,

Monty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

So, my Rift will arrive today. I am already excited like a child on Christmas Eve...

The rest of my new system has already arrived respectively will also arrive today. The boxes are starting to pile up and my wife starts thinking "what the heck is he doing?" :D

Unfortunately I will have to wait for Saturday to set everything up, since I will be on a business trip for the rest of the week :(

Make sure you guys are around this weekend to help me in case of troubles :helpsmilie::thumbup:

Cheers,

Monty

We are here to help and being helped ourself!! :D:thumbup:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Cheers,

Monty

Sounds like you will have your work cut out for you this weekend with the new build and all. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Rift!

Don B

Cheers,

Monty

Take some pics of the build and how it goes. I am jealous and seriously considering selling one of my rifles to cover the upgrade costs for a rig like yours:doh:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just received mine today, and of course the questions are piling up.

I did some searching here and on the net but couldn't find anything concerning:

- Is it normal that my normal monitor is also still showing DCS while on the Rift? Doesn't this consume resources?

- I expected the field of view to be wider. Is there a setting which regulates this?

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Hey gang,

I am still experimenting and tweaking both my DCS graphics and the Pixel Density to get the best overall experience.

I am curious what you guys think about ASW? Do you tweak yours to try and maintain the 90 fps, or do you give it a little more and are happy with the 45fps ( ASW )?

Oftentimes I will be at the 45 fps while taking off or landing on the runway, and get to the 90 fps when up in the air. I can't say I personally really see a difference between the two, so I am thinking maybe as long as I can maintain the 45 fps all around and it run smooth I should be good? This might allow me to give a little more graphics settings to it.

And regarding the pixel density, I have tried all the way between 1.2 and 1.9 and not sure I can really see the difference in that either, at least in image quality.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I too am still adjusting settings, I dropped down to 1.3 PD in 2.0 and get 45 steady even flying over Vegas, it drops when the dust rises as I land though. I keep tweaking though and keep testing. I hope once I upgrade to a Kaby Lake I will get to ramp up more settings

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just got the rift and i can run most maxed out on a 7700k @5ghz with a 1080 and 2666 32gb ram. Just keeping water to low and no civil traffic, 4x aa 4x ani. rest Max 45fps over vegas and 90 in unpopulated on the Mustang. thats pretty damn good

While i get more presence in the Vive the Rift is so much more clear than the Vive, i think it just suits my eyes better cause the clarity is waaay better on the Rift, so much it shouldnt be possible.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Just got the rift and i can run most maxed out on a 7700k @5ghz with a 1080 and 2666 32gb ram. Just keeping water to low and no civil traffic, 4x aa 4x ani. rest Max 45fps over vegas and 90 in unpopulated on the Mustang. thats pretty damn good

While i get more presence in the Vive the Rift is so much more clear than the Vive, i think it just suits my eyes better cause the clarity is waaay better on the Rift, so much it shouldnt be possible.

What PD have you set within the game? Also try trading shadows for higher AA. Oh and Trigen what MOBO are you using

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice rig you have there!

Don B

What PD have you set within the game? Also try trading shadows for higher AA. Oh and Trigen what MOBO are you using

For the mobo i got a Asus z170 gaming pro.

All this is on DCS 2. (on SSD) Tested with Mustang and Huey, A10 and such are probably more demanding and require less graphics (Edit, did some testing pretty steady 45, slight drops, 90 outside city)

Im running 1.3 on the pixel density and i use a reduced shadow draw range mod. These settings are on the limit and it drops to 40ish for a instant if i turn hard over the cities so i usually turn depth of field and lens effects. Then its 99% solid. Not a chance to use these settings on the Vive, it would be a judder mess.

Ill have a look at the shadows vs AA and see how that affects things

settings.md.jpg

a1045fps.md.jpg

Edited by trigen

Nice rig you have there!

Thanks, im pretty happy with it! Screwed up and got a 170 over z270 though haha but i got a couple of weeks to return it still and trade for the new! Right now im far to hooked on VR to do so, cant have it gone for a second

Reading this thread is so painful for me. Just don't know how long I can hold without ordering.

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

Finally Oculus Rift ordered :thumbup: delivery prolly 2 weeks or so, doesn't matter I'm on secondment for about 4 more weeks anyway,.. pifft

And I'm already getting DCS withdrawal pangs. I need :helpsmilie:

This thread has no affect on anyone, what are you saying?? :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I just tested some with PD 2.0, pretty nice and clear (45 city, 90 outside) but ASW starts kicking in when you turn fast over the city, outside it should be just fine with that and 8xAA in the Mustang. Amazing performance for DCS, Kudos to the developers.

To anyone on the fence about vive or rift, rift hands down, there is no comparison. No motion sickness in VR but hell i get it outside now haha.

One other thing I found is having pre load to max helps with loading stutters where applicable and also full clutter has no fps impact over no clutter that I find. I also struggle to see the difference in terrain textures from low to high visually though I can see the FPS hit. This testing of mine is also directly related to 2.0. I find 1.5.5 a horse of a different colour:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find 1.5.5 a horse of a different colour:)

Agreed - while I am mainly flying 1.5 currently due to the Spit, I am not going to spend too much more time tweaking and testing, as it is on the way out anyway.

Hopefully we will see the merge into 2.5 before too much longer...

Don B