Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

Gents,

before leaving for my business trip today, I managed to set up the new PC yesterday evening. So I will be ready to set up the Rift latest Saturday morning...

Working on a checklist, what to do with the new system (installing drivers etc.), I feel uncertain, if the HDMI cable of the RIFT fits to my Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 HDMI connection. Since I am in the office, I cannot check if the HDMI sizes match.

What HDMI size does the Rift have? This is a pic of the backplate of my GTX1070:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/3/5921/20160624191242_big.png

Please advice, if I need an adapter in order to get it before setting everything up.

Cheers,

Monty

PS: To wait for an ordered Rift is hard, having no time to set up an already received Rift is even harder :cry_2:

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents,

before leaving for my business trip today, I managed to set up the new PC yesterday evening. So I will be ready to set up the Rift latest Saturday morning...

Working on a checklist, what to do with the new system (installing drivers etc.), I feel uncertain, if the HDMI cable of the RIFT fits to my Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 HDMI connection. Since I am in the office, I cannot check if the HDMI sizes match.

What HDMI size does the Rift have? This is a pic of the backplate of my GTX1070:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/3/5921/20160624191242_big.png

Please advice, if I need an adapter in order to get it before setting everything up.

Cheers,

Monty

PS: To wait for an ordered Rift is hard, having no time to set up an already received Rift is even harder :cry_2:

Your Video card is ready to go you dont need any adapter or anything , just connect the HDMI cable to the Hdmi output in your Card.

as for your system buildup so i assume you doing it from scratch so first Install your windows if not installed.

Second update all your drivers , Windows 10 will tend to update the drivers for you but i go further . I install software called PC smart driver . it will search the internet for all the available drivers for you.

update your video card driver.

run windows update.

connect your Rift cables ( USB and HDMI) then install Oculus Runtime from Oculus website.

let it finish and then follow the step by step instructions.

after that install DCS and setup your controls and settings.

restart Your PC ( i dont know why but its better for your system so it can check for anything missing)

Play DCS . ( the sequence i do is to start Oculus runtime then start DCS.)

Enjoy

Hey Simo,

thanks for your rapid answer!!

Your sequence is identical to mine and now I am very happy not to having any additional adapters to organize.

Cheers,

Monty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

Also a neat feature with the Rift is just putting on the headset activates the proximity sensor and starts the Oculus Home runtime as well.

Don't have to worry about forgetting to launch it prior to launching DCS.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I just tested some with PD 2.0, pretty nice and clear (45 city, 90 outside) but ASW starts kicking in when you turn fast over the city, outside it should be just fine with that and 8xAA in the Mustang. Amazing performance for DCS, Kudos to the developers.

To anyone on the fence about vive or rift, rift hands down, there is no comparison. No motion sickness in VR but hell i get it outside now haha.

Turn fast over city ASW is kicking in??? :cry: i think i missed something here??? Can you explain?

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Turn fast over city ASW is kicking in??? :cry: i think i missed something here??? Can you explain?

I believe he is talking about Asynchronous Spacewarp:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-spacewarp/

I know. I know what ASW is. But kicks in when making a turn above a city??? That's new too me!!!!:music_whistling:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Hey guys just got a dk2 for cheap.Wanted to test the waters before diving in head first lol

Not sure what driver version to use though?

thx for any input

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

Hey guys just got a dk2 for cheap.Wanted to test the waters before diving in head first lol

Not sure what driver version to use though?

thx for any input

Don't hit me, but i thought to have read that you can use the normal setup for the rift. It seems to work with dk2.

www.oculus.com\setup

No worries and thanks:)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

Interesting......ASW doesn't work with Windows 7, never knew that. Would probably explain why I can't see any difference when I turn it on/off :music_whistling:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I know. I know what ASW is. But kicks in when making a turn above a city??? That's new too me!!!!:music_whistling:

My mistake i think . i mean it starts to ghost like crazy, thought that might be the ASW but guessing im wrong. the whole scene looks like it skips every second frame.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Okay gents, after returning from my trip yesterday I immediately startet to set everything up.

Everything did go very well, no problems at all to set up the Rift and to get it running in DCS.

So, my first impression of Rift in DCS is:

WHAT THE HELL!

HOLY TOLEDO!

IT CANNOT BE TRUE...

I have never ever experienced anything in gaming that even comes close to what I have seen last night.

Everyone knows 3D-effects from cinema. So my expectations have been something like DCS with TrackIR in 3D. But I was totally wrong! The immersion within the cockpit is so close to real life, you just want to grab every switch. If you lean to the side, you will pay atention not to hit the canopy because everything looks so real.

Being a private pilot (flying Cessnas, Mooneys etc. for more then 20 years), this experience comes very close to real flying.

So everyone who reads this and is thinking of ordering a Rift - just to it. You just cannot regret it. I had some fears about the resolution and yes, the MFD´s are sometimes tricky to read (I will have to work on that, but it is not so bad that you can´t use the MFDs, it´s ok), but the overall fun is just complete way better than 2D.

I had some training missions with the A10C and yes, targets are harder to spot e.g. at a gun run, but I think it comes closer to real life. On the other hand, once you are flying over the target area, you will see EVERY enemy so much clearer. I made a gun run and a single soldier survived. Doing a flyby I saw him running away - I couldn´t believe how easy I could spot this guy just because he now is not a 2D-pixel-unit anymore, but a 6 feet tall soldier standing on the ground. Wow!

Thank you SO MUCH guys for this thread! It really has helped people like me who haven´t been sure about spending the money for a Rift. It´s worth every cent.

More to follow up later after further testing.

Cheers,

Monty

PS: I couldn´t resist and have also ordered the earphones - great addon in terms of accoustic immersion!

Okay gents, after returning from my trip yesterday I immediately startet to set everything up.

Everything did go very well, no problems at all to set up the Rift and to get it running in DCS.

So, my first impression of Rift in DCS is:

WHAT THE HELL!

HOLY TOLEDO!

IT CANNOT BE TRUE...

I have never ever experienced anything in gaming that even comes close to what I have seen last night.

Everyone knows 3D-effects from cinema. So my expectations have been something like DCS with TrackIR in 3D. But I was totally wrong! The immersion within the cockpit is so close to real life, you just want to grab every switch. If you lean to the side, you will pay atention not to hit the canopy because everything looks so real.

Being a private pilot (flying Cessnas, Mooneys etc. for more then 20 years), this experience comes very close to real flying.

So everyone who reads this and is thinking of ordering a Rift - just to it. You just cannot regret it. I had some fears about the resolution and yes, the MFD´s are sometimes tricky to read (I will have to work on that, but it is not so bad that you can´t use the MFDs, it´s ok), but the overall fun is just complete way better than 2D.

I had some training missions with the A10C and yes, targets are harder to spot e.g. at a gun run, but I think it comes closer to real life. On the other hand, once you are flying over the target area, you will see EVERY enemy so much clearer. I made a gun run and a single soldier survived. Doing a flyby I saw him running away - I couldn´t believe how easy I could spot this guy just because he now is not a 2D-pixel-unit anymore, but a 6 feet tall soldier standing on the ground. Wow!

Thank you SO MUCH guys for this thread! It really has helped people like me who haven´t been sure about spending the money for a Rift. It´s worth every cent.

More to follow up later after further testing.

Cheers,

Monty

PS: I couldn´t resist and have also ordered the earphones - great addon in terms of accoustic immersion!

+1

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

:thumbup:

Congrats!

It is amazing isn't it, I now have several hours in the Spit with the Rift, and I am still blown away with every flight.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I share your feelings, MadMonty.

Years ago I built a campaign for the A-10C, and once more or less done I moved on to BMS, and then later flying choppers and prop planes in DCS.

I got my rift last week, and I'm blown away. I flew one of the missions in my campaign to see if everything was working alright, and improve maybe this or that. Well, it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable flights I've ever done. Spoofing SAMs, dodging machine gun fire, ...

I've never had this much situational awareness. The 1:1 tracking alone is already such an improvement over TrackIR. And it doesn't behave erratically like TIR does.

I've installed Picksking's terrain and Mustang's cloud mods today and I can't wait for the kids to be in bed so I can have another go!

Apart from the negatives we all already know such as sharpness, the only two negatives I experience is that it does get a bit warm on your face, and I have to drink beer through a straw :D

Bottom line: awesome bit of kit!

Mud

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Apart from the negatives we all already know such as sharpness, the only two negatives I experience is that it does get a bit warm on your face, and I have to drink beer through a straw :D

Bottom line: awesome bit of kit!

Mud

:megalol: Note to self get a supply of straws, already have beer and waiting for Rift to be delivered. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Guys, finally I have ran into my first problem.

I used to play with Voiceattack before and it would be ideal to use it with the Rift.

Having set up everything right (I hope), my radio commands are recognized by VA, but nothing happens in the game.

To find the failure, I tried to open the comm menu (# at my default setting) and nothing happens. Since I haven´t tried to open the comm menu before with the Rift, I wonder why I can´t see it, even when not running VA. I ist not possible to see the comm menu with the Rift?

My settings are to easy radio communications.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Monty

Alt-tab a few times and then go back to DCS. That worked for me for voicebot. Why?? I don't know, but it worked for me...

Alt-tab a few times and then go back to DCS. That worked for me for voicebot. Why?? I don't know, but it worked for me...

Did it help to run Voiceattack or to see the comm Menu in DCS?

Hitting Alt-Tab several times changes nothing for me. Like I said, I can´t see the comm menu in the cockpit after pressing "#". Any ideas?

I moved my problem to where it belongs...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3023147#post3023147

Congrats MadMonty. Now you know how hard it is to relay to someone who has never tried it how just amazing it is. Glad you took the leap. The more the merrier. We have strength in numbers and helps ensure the next generation. Which we need. I am not sure what your gaming setup is like. But I have one more suggestion for you. Add another $175 USD or so(+2nd sound card too for $25)to your budget and pickup a Buttkicker Gamer2 or even a Jetseat from Andre' here and it will take it up even another notch. Very much worth it. And either of those are easy to employ additions if you just game from a traditional desk/chair setup.

Again, enjoy, the wonder doesn't fade. I was a day 1 guy for both devices. To me, this is the Field of Dreams in tech/gaming/simming. You know the movie..If you build it, they will come. Yeah, it's just like that.

I just had a free flight around Nevada in SP. After an hour I landed on a roof, opened the pilots door and got out of my chair. That bit was cool standing at the edge of a tall building with my huey spooling down beside me. I then had the idea of putting it in autopilot and sitting on the sofa which put me in the cargo bay of the huey on the bench seats opened the doors and had a nice view of the scenery going by:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well after almost a year of not using the rift, I had a mate stop by who wanted to try it.

When on earth did it get so good in DCS world, last time I used it, I was stuttering all over the place and couldn't read any dials or spot a damn thing. This time, dials are readable, the sim is smooth and I could even see the troops on the ground.

WOW what a difference, honestly night and day, while I'm still not convinced my DK2 has the Rez for Jets, I can't think of anything better for helo flying.

Now the big question, as I already have the dk2 and it's now certainly workable and very immersive, is it worth picking up a CV1? Is it that different to my current headset?

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh: