Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

Well after almost a year of not using the rift, I had a mate stop by who wanted to try it.

When on earth did it get so good in DCS world, last time I used it, I was stuttering all over the place and couldn't read any dials or spot a damn thing. This time, dials are readable, the sim is smooth and I could even see the troops on the ground.

WOW what a difference, honestly night and day, while I'm still not convinced my DK2 has the Rez for Jets, I can't think of anything better for helo flying.

Now the big question, as I already have the dk2 and it's now certainly workable and very immersive, is it worth picking up a CV1? Is it that different to my current headset?

Cowboy10uk

Hey Cowboy,

It is better almost everywhere but don't expect miracles. The res is still low and the sde is still there but noticeably better than dk2. It is lighter more comfortable with better straps, less cables coming out of it and with his own headset you dont need to put more stuff on your head.

Also tracking is better, can track 360 degrees and never loose track while with dk2 you cant go without recenter button on the hotas, in cv1 you don't really need it.

I can't tell you if it worth the money, this depends on your budget, for me - yes it worth the upgrade but it really depends how can you afford it.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after almost a year of not using the rift, I had a mate stop by who wanted to try it.

When on earth did it get so good in DCS world, last time I used it, I was stuttering all over the place and couldn't read any dials or spot a damn thing. This time, dials are readable, the sim is smooth and I could even see the troops on the ground.

WOW what a difference, honestly night and day, while I'm still not convinced my DK2 has the Rez for Jets, I can't think of anything better for helo flying.

Now the big question, as I already have the dk2 and it's now certainly workable and very immersive, is it worth picking up a CV1? Is it that different to my current headset?

Cowboy10uk

When I first installed my rift on Christmas day I found it was pretty poor visually at first with settings to allow a decent fps then the software updated pretty much straight away and instantly I could ramp up the PD and other settings. I reckon if they keep producing updates it can only get better and better

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guys, I have now experimented a little bit with my Rift.

Regarding the graphics setting, I can see a big difference between pixel density of 1.0 and up to 2.0/2.5. But the higher the density is, the lower the frames will be.

There comes my question:

When running in high graphic details and 2.0 density, my system drops down to 45 instead of 90. But I find it really hard to notice any difference between 45 and 90 FPS. So I am thinking of keeping higher detail settings with "lower" frames @45.

What difference is between 90 and 45? I set up a training mission at an airport nearby a big city with multiple planes flying by (also tanks driving by). The frame headroom is at somewhat like -60/-70% with 45 FPS, but the planes flyby quit smoothely...

What is your experience / opinion?

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

What difference is between 90 and 45? I set up a training mission at an airport nearby a big city with multiple planes flying by (also tanks driving by). The frame headroom is at somewhat like -60/-70% with 45 FPS, but the planes flyby quit smoothely...

What is your experience / opinion?

I myself can't say I really see a difference when ASW kicks in (45fps) versus the 90 fps.

I have my graphics settings now where I am running a PD of 2.0 and am maintaining 90 fps for the most part with the occasionally dips down to 45 fps ( this in the Spit take off instant action), so not a lot of things around really.

Some folks I have read reported they don't much like ASW, but again for me I really can't tell a difference. I guess the problem may come in to when one's system cannot maintain the 45 fps, maybe mine has not experienced that effect yet.

Having said that, I do prefer to keep my settings where they are now rather than crank up higher, at least for now. Everything is very smooth for me, never see a hiccup at all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I live at 45fps and lower but mainly because I only play Multiplayer, SP is never a problem. I am quite happy with it tho' I have a 6700K and a 1080. I have to turn off ASW all the time as it produces far too many artefacts. Let me reiterate tho it is only in MP that I see the problems.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I'm planning to get into VR the problem is I can't chose between Vive and Rift. I know Vive would beat the Rift in room scale but at the same time I've heard that Rift is much better visually in DCS especially due to recent ASW implementation and is also lighter which is a big +. Is anyone here who has both? Any comments and recommendation which one I should get? I was leaning towards the Vive but I don't want to be disappointed if Rift is even slightly better in DCS. I read a lot of comments on how amazing DCS is in the Rift but not much from Vive owners.

After my 1st weekend with the Rift, I would like to give some additional feedback to all of those, who have no VR-Glasses yet or are thinking of buying one.

1. Resolution

Being overwhelmed from the immersion of the cockpit (letting your yaw hit the ground), you kind of accept the lower resolution compared to a monitor based game playing. After a couple of flights and getting used to the new 3D-enviroment, you start recognizing, that it is sometimes hard to read instruments (like the labels of switches or the MFDs), but you don´t really bother, since it is too much fun to fly around. But as soon as you start a combat mission or campaign, you have to rely on what you can see or not. Interestingly my eyes started do see more and more of those details (and labels), which I couldn´t see before. Maybe the Rift has been placed better on my head the longer I use it (only a few mm does change the sharpness dramatically) or I am just getting used to the lower resolution. Anyway, meanwhile I do feel quite comfortable with the Rift and reading everything from the MFDs. Only at gun- or rocket-runs you will see the single ground targets not before approx. 1.0 – 1.5 miles distance, but I think that is quite realistic. Using TrackIR before I always zoomed in to the max and could see the targets a lot of miles ahead – that is definitely not realistic…

2. Situation awareness

This is by far the BIGGEST improvement of using VR. I have played the 2nd mission of Piercing Fury, which is a quite complex and unusually long mission. You have to watch a complex of buildings, defend your attacking troops from infantry, an incoming convoy, chase an escaping jeep, find a shot down pilot, defend the pilot from incoming convoys and infantry. So a lot of thing have to be found and observed for quite a long time in the air. Having played this beautiful mission with TrackIR a short time ago, I remember how hard it has been to find and keeping tracked the landing zone of the friendly choppers and to keep the buildings our groups are attacking parallel in sight, to find the shot down pilot (e.g. observing his flares) and last but not least to find and attack all the enemies. Using a Rift now, everything changes into a magnificent situation awareness. When you circle the town with the building complex, you exactly know where the buildings are located in town, you easily spot the blue smoke of the choppers landing field and you know exactly in every moment, where your plane is. In a complex situation, where you are informed about multiple enemy troops being spotted or coming in, it is so much easier to find them even with the lower resolution just by knowing where to look at. Chasing the escaping jeep is so much fun, because you always know where the jeep is, even if you lose sight due to turns, you know exactly at which flank of a hill it has been and after a couple of seconds, when you finished the turn, you know where to look at since you have a “natural feeling” for the surrounding landscape. When you are being shot at, by AAA or missiles, you do spot the enemy easily and keep him tracked without any problems, just because you can keep the eyes on him knowing exactly what you plane is doing. The new situation awareness – next to the immersion - makes the Rift worth every cent.

3. Immersion

It has been written a lot of things regarding the immersion so I don´t have to repeat it. But there are funny things that occur, just because you now are using VR. Like others already told, doing acrobatic maneuvers does have certain impacts to your stomach. Doing a steep turn for a landing approach gives you exact the same feeling like in a real plane (only missing the g´s). Flying myself the small prop-planes in real life for two decades, it is exactly what happens to my stomach in real life. But furthermore, you are so much into the game, that after having landed after a long mission and opening the canopy, it feels like getting some fresh air. Maybe I am a bit crazy, but that has happened several times. I don´t know, if you guys have experienced the same. That is only one example of how deep your brain and your body is into this game – just amazing!

So at the end I have to say, that VR does change the way of gaming dramatically. It will never be the same and I think (and hope), that more and more games will be developed for VR, since it is a quantum leap compared to playing with monitors, even when TrackIR is being used. Imaging, that this is just the beginning and it´s just a matter of time, until the resolution will improve, the future does look very good especially for realistic sim-gaming – and that´s why we are all here in this nice forum…

Cheers,

Monty

Edited by MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Hey Monty, that's a good description of the DCS VR experience, particularly the bit about the "natural feeling" in OPF.

i5/9600K wc, Z390XP, 32Gb/DDR4, 1080ti wc, 850 Evo SSD, TMWH, DSD FLT1, ORs.

A10C, UH1, MI8, BF109K4, SA342M, L39C, M2000C, Mig21BIS, Mig15, F86, C101, Hawk, F-14, F-5E, Spitfire MkIX, AV8B N/A, FA-18C, P51-D, Yak 52, Mig19p, F-16C, JF-17 OPF, Red Flag2, MusRel, BnboB, Tbs, TEW 3.0, TTQ, MI8 OFC, SC.

I'm planning to get into VR the problem is I can't chose between Vive and Rift. I know Vive would beat the Rift in room scale but at the same time I've heard that Rift is much better visually in DCS especially due to recent ASW implementation and is also lighter which is a big +. Is anyone here who has both? Any comments and recommendation which one I should get? I was leaning towards the Vive but I don't want to be disappointed if Rift is even slightly better in DCS. I read a lot of comments on how amazing DCS is in the Rift but not much from Vive owners.

I would go for the Rift, its much more comfortable, image clarity is better, its smother in games, especially sims. Throwing your head around on the Rift, no issues, its nice and light! Vive has a lot of mass compared and will move around a lot.

For roomscale, if you are like me and have around 1,5m max to stand on its not an issue apart from needing an extension cable for the sensor and maybe the Rift if you got more room. Vive is of course much simpler there and the tracking cones are larger. Thats the beams coming out of the sats/cameras. But essentially nothing to think about. The touch tracks just fine in a 2 cam 360 environment for me at least

Ive had a lot of distortion issues with the Rift that i get 0 of in the Vive. Im one of the few that gets it though, mostly people dont see it and you wont notice it much in the sim if you do. I would still go for the Rift even if i cant stand this stuff, its just so much smoother than the Vive, especially if your frames drop.. My Vive also always sit 89-90fps and cause a little stutter but that can probably be fixed in software later.

In any case, even with its faults the Rift wins here, its not slightly better in DCS, its a lot better, in fact its the only reason im keeping it over the Vive due to the distortion issues. If i didnt have that it would be no question at all.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I was in the same position as you last week and had to decide between the two and went for the rift for all the reasons posted here. I guess you have to ask how much time you are going to spend in DCS as supposedly the rift performs much better according to all the posts here.

I've had mine for a week and have spent most of my time in DCS and it is absolutely amazing. Very smooth, it never stutters or lags. Very smooth experience. Love it. You will not be dissapointed

+1 for rift for sims. When I was doing the research as to which one to choose, seated experiences with joysticks and wheels seemed to be the strengths of the rift, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I've had mine for a week and have spent most of my time in DCS and it is absolutely amazing. Very smooth, it never stutters or lags. Very smooth experience. Love it. You will not be dissapointed

I have had mine for just over a week, and have around a dozen hours or so in DCS with it now - and that has been my experience as well. Very smooth and the immersion is incredible.

I was somewhat hesitant on this purchase, but now I am very glad I went ahead with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I thought the A2A Spitfire Mk1 for FSX was about as good as it could get in VR, that cockpit is a beautiful piece of work, but I have to say the DCS version is a level above that again. That and the DCS Huey are easily my favourite VR experiences out of everything available right now.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Hey gang,

Not sure how good this image will turn out, but here is where I have pretty much settled on with the settings on DCS for my rig. This is in DCS 1.5 Open Beta.

I have Pixel Density set to 2.0, and am maintaining pretty much 90 fps in the Spit takeoff mission. I take off and fly around a bit and then land, it is very smooth for me.

Screen_170123_112850.jpg

Don B

I thought the A2A Spitfire Mk1 for FSX was about as good as it could get in VR, that cockpit is a beautiful piece of work, but I have to say the DCS version is a level above that again. That and the DCS Huey are easily my favourite VR experiences out of everything available right now.
If only A2A would license their technology for the engine physics ;)

I've never experienced a piston engine that feels so alive in any sim like those in A2A's warbirds. It's the only thing I miss from FSX.

Edited by average_pilot

Guys,

My friend (MilesD) and I bought a RIFT and a VIVE at the exact same time, we built the exact same computers together to run VR. (I7, 32gb ram, 980ti, ssd, full warthogs, yada yada) We have both flown in each others rigs multiple times. There is no appreciable difference between the Vive vs RIFT performance that we have noticed while running it on the exact same machines. The "seated" experience in a vive is no less hassle free and effective as a rift. The Vive headset is a little heavier, but unless you are some sort of pencil necked geek, (Sorry Millennials if this causes you to run to your safe space!s) the feeling of either headset is comfortable.

We also both purchased 4k 43" monitors as well and have TrackIR,. Frankly I have minimal interest in flying anything other than VR any more its that awesome. (That said I still fly BMS on my regular monitor :( ) The only advantage the vive has over the Rift and it is a BIG one, is roomscale, which in its own right is quite awesome. (but that means the vive costs about in extra $200.) Roomscale is fun, good if you have kids, and more or less gets the Wife on board, if you know what I mean. (I mostly just fly DCS and AH3 beta...also an incredible experience)

I am glad we have done this. After almost 30 years of sim flying and having an awesome time of it, our most incredible flying experiences have come in the past six months. It is easier to fly in vr, esp things like very close formation flying and air to air refueling. (Dont eget me wrong I'll be HD Vive when it comes out)

The loss of resolution, itself mostly a non-issue in our modern air combat regime, is immensely and by far outweighed by the experience in flying in vr.

So if you can afford it...by the F'ing thing (either one). Then get back to me and we'll start talking about setting up vr cockpits as we have done.

Just sayin'....

Los

Edited by Los

After my 1st weekend with the Rift, I would like to give some additional feedback to all of those, who have no VR-Glasses yet or are thinking of buying one.

- snippage: great explanation -

So at the end I have to say, that VR does change the way of gaming dramatically. It will never be the same and I think (and hope), that more and more games will be developed for VR, since it is a quantum leap compared to playing with monitors, even when TrackIR is being used. Imaging, that this is just the beginning and it´s just a matter of time, until the resolution will improve, the future does look very good especially for realistic sim-gaming – and that´s why we are all here in this nice forum…

Cheers,

Monty

Monty this is one of the hardest thing to explain. Another example i use is maneuvering the lane while tracking the SAM. Your SA increases so much and it's so much easier to maintain where you are in 3D space. Something you *cannot* do now matter how many monitors you have. OK, maybe if you completely surround yourself within a sphere of monitors - LOL.

And as someone explained. VR is freaking out when you think you're standing at the edge of high rise bldg (because of VR), vs not reacting at all when seen on a 2D monitor.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I am not sure about your Vive Vs Rift assessment. I had both running on the same machine and the Rift was consistently better for DCS. While the Vive has improved significantly since release it still lags behind Vive in consistent frame rate reproduction. My machine was a 6700K with an gtx1080.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I can only talk about the pc

configurations that my buddy and I are using, of course you have a different rig than us and we are both running 980ti. Point is the vive is a perfectly fine vr experience in DCS and that comes from someone using it regularly since August and has plenty of hours in the rift as well.

Los

I am not sure about your Vive Vs Rift assessment. I had both running on the same machine and the Rift was consistently better for DCS. While the Vive has improved significantly since release it still lags behind Vive in consistent frame rate reproduction. My machine was a 6700K with an gtx1080.

I can only talk about the pc

configurations that my buddy and I are using, of course you have a different rig than us and we are both running 980ti. Point is the vive is a perfectly fine vr experience in DCS and that comes from someone using it regularly since August and has plenty of hours in the rift as well.

Los

I dont agree either. The rift runs considerable better and most importantly smoother. Same in sim racing. Is the Vive perfectly fine sure, but its not on par. It does however have a big edge in better eye relief and no distortion issues. God rays are also awful in Rift, not much in the Vive.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I dont agree either. The rift runs considerable better and most importantly smoother. Same in sim racing. Is the Vive perfectly fine sure, but its not on par. It does however have a big edge in better eye relief and no distortion issues. God rays are also awful in Rift, not much in the Vive.

Fine i had the best choice to take the rift for dcs. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

If only A2A would license their technology for the engine physics ;)

I've never experienced a piston engine that feels so alive in any sim like those in A2A's warbirds. It's the only thing I miss from FSX.

Yeah, I can't fault the physics, and the fact that if you break the prop, the next time you load the game, the prop is still broken! you have to take it to the hangar to get it fixed. Now that is hardcore. I'm a bit of a lightweight in that respect though, the number of times I've broken my DCS Spitfire, it's nice to be able to hit esc. and fly again.

I have had my Rift for about 10 days now - and I must say, after about 12 hours in DCS with it, I am loving it more and more!

I am so glad you guys convinced me to make this purchase. My only problem now is not sure I can play any of my other games I have that do not have Rift support, thankfully DCS is my main one anyway. Any future game purchases will be for titles that support the technology no doubt.

Don B

I have had my Rift for about 10 days now - and I must say, after about 12 hours in DCS with it, I am loving it more and more!

I am so glad you guys convinced me to make this purchase. My only problem now is not sure I can play any of my other games I have that do not have Rift support, thankfully DCS is my main one anyway. Any future game purchases will be for titles that support the technology no doubt.

That's great to hear. I am almost there as well - just want to throw out that Obutto Ozone, replacing it with a MonsterTech rig. Once that's in place, Oculus, here I come! :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com