Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

So what's everyone doing to prevent that nasty crease down the middle of your head? After a few hours I look like I've got a bad 70s part down the middle of my head, and my wife is threatening to paint it white while I'm sleeping (its' already turning gray)... LOL

What to do?

First world problems, ... I know, I know.:thumbup:

Shave that melon. :noexpression:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this all with interest, I was a military pilot and now a B777 pilot. I liked the Rift so much I bought a laptop and take it away with me on every trip, I fly international. Anyway if you are flying WW2 stuff then the lack of IFF is an issue its still way fun but tricky to identify whose who. For anything else it is fantastic. I missed Fast Jet flying and the Rift bought it back to me :) . YOU are in the cockpit everything is legible enough. Honestly with the Rift you can get a pretty good feel for what it feels like to fly a military Jet. The g is missing but other than that the sense ofimmersion is great and with a Jetseat adding buffet and feedback it is truly an addictive experience. A mate who flew the F15e came over for a demo and I couldnt get him off the Rift for 90 minutes. I have spoken to a few people who complain about the resolution and yes it could be better but I have yet to demo it to a pilot who would then rather fly in 2D.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Did helos in the Navy and the Rift has brought back flight for me. I absolutely love it. I am having to discipline myself. All I can think of is flying. The Rift is really forcing me to use the basic flight mechanics that I haven't felt in the 2D World even with a ButtKicker. I feel my self sliding and I can feel the compensation more and I am back to flying the horizon. You real pilots know exactly what that is. "Get your head out of the instruments" is something I heard often. Had a friend over shortly after I retired, an MH-60R stick, and flew the Ka-50 and just thought it was terrible. He was still active and getting about 3 flights in a week training others crews at NAS North Island. He just smiled and said, "Dude, your just torturing yourself." Well now he is retired and flying with the Rift. If he reads this post he will know I am referring to him. His call sign in Navy was Dandy, short for Dandelion. Mine was Maverick! Just kidding, mine was actually Scooter. :)

Edited by Scooternutz
I suck at Sprelling!

Definitely!!! Having way too few time for gaming, I did had the chance for some dogfights sitting in a F86 against a MiG15. Wow! That was so intense, your adrenaline is so much higher since you really feel the enemy is right behind you. I was sweating and breathing heavily as I tried to leave the MiG behind. Dam, that has been so real!

And I found out, that I could turn my head to the left much further than to the right - until now, I even didn´t knew that. I have to go to my doc and tell him, I need a more balanced flexibility for dogfighting :megalol:

Are you guys using labels in (gun-)dogfights? It has been hard in TrackIR to keep the enemies tracked and it is easier with the Rift, but still when you lose sight, it is hard to find them before being shot at...

I can turn my head to the left more than the right. Found out the same way. I am practicing a lot of right hand approaches to practice and stretch out my neck. Getting to those aft switches is an eye opener as well.

• 7 months later...

I'll just put my 2p in. :) ... I got my new Oculus last week. I'll start with some background so you know where I am coming from.

I searched many forums to try to convince me that I needed a Rift. Time after time I kept reading "Its not quite there, wait for the next generation". Then I came across a thread which contain posts from Simmers, and the replies were totally different, "Would never go back" "Best thing ever" etc... So forums didn't really help me much.

My main concerns were the screen door effect, and the resolution... would I be able to read the instruments etc.

Luckily my local John Lewis store does demo's. Now although Obviously they didn't have DCS, I could see that when using the headset the resolution and screen door are not that bad. You're so busy think 'OMG WOW' that you don't really notice it.... I had the bug and ordered one.

So I have been flying the Huey and Mi8 in DCS using the Oculus and in my opinion it is amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. The cockpit just feels so real, having the centre console actually protruding out towards you, the bevels on the dials, everything just stands out and immerses you totally. I spent the first couple of days just flying hard low level around towns and villages. I was finding myself looking for interesting building models and flying around them, just soaking up how good it looks. You notice things that I never noticed before, details around the airfield etc.

Something I've not seen mentioned, because your brain thinks its all real, if you do a high G manoeuvre, you can feel it in your stomach. I didn't suffer from sickness at all, but this sensation makes it feel so much more real... Another example of this is when I was trying to land on a building, my peripheral vision picked up that I was losing altitude, so I could react to it without having to look at my dials for clues. As such I find flying so much more intuitive and easier - as well as being able to judge distance.

So, as for the resolution and screen door effect. Well, I wouldn't say it is terrible, but it is definitely noticeable.

air_600a_013a.jpg

In the above image, sitting in the right side, I can see clearly enough to read the writing from the gauges on the right side of the front panel. With the exception of the smaller gauges (Gas and torque) If I moved my head forward I could read them.

the smaller gauges, not so easy.. you can see well enough to know where the needle is pointing, but you would need to know what the gauge was for and where the needle should be.

Centre console I found most of it was not very clear, again you would have to move your head closer to read the text around the switches although the radio frequencies are clear enough. Spotting targets? to be honest I've not tested it yet, still enjoying just flying around for now.

I thought of a good analogy for the Rift. Imagine you had two displays, one 720p and one 1080p. The 1080p is the best right? Now imagine that the 1080p is a black and white only display... is it worth trading in a few pixels for the better experience with the colour 720p?

I make no apologies for such a long post, I hope it helps someone make their decision. And theres so much more to the Rift than that as well - I spent 2 hours flying around in GoogleEarth last night :)

air_600a_013a.jpg.8cfde6710d328a55ad3f31f28b6d8e01.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4 Ghz | 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel | Ati HD4850 XFX | 22" Samsung TFT & NEC 17" touchscreen

Centre console I found most of it was not very clear, again you would have to move your head closer to read the text around the switches although the radio frequencies are clear enough. Spotting targets? to be honest I've not tested it yet, still enjoying just flying around for now.

That's where the fun starts.

Though "frustration" is a better word.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I'll just put my 2p in. :) ... I got my new Oculus last week. I'll start with some background so you know where I am coming from.

:thumbup:

Echos my experience as well, been flying and gaming in the Rift since I got it middle of Jan, and I still have that wow factor each time I do.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Welcome to club, and spotting is problem only in dcs , for now. 2.5 will make it better.

IL-2Bos has great VR mode, check it out too. Very sharp and you can spot targets far away (but not too far)

Sent when im drunk with my iphone near me :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's where the fun starts.

Though "frustration" is a better word.

I guess it has greater impact when you're flying the fixed wing as well because you're spotting from higher altitudes and greater distances. That's why I mentioned I've not tried combat missions yet. I can imagine it's tricky, I could never see anything before it was shooting at me with my HD monitor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

______________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4 Ghz | 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel | Ati HD4850 XFX | 22" Samsung TFT & NEC 17" touchscreen

I explained, and it has to be said with a bit of passion to my mates at work how it feels to fly a Spitfire in VR. One of the blokes welled up a bit and is now coming over to have a go. He always wanted to sit in a cockpit of a Spitfire but has never had the chance. His dad was in the RAF (mine too)and when he was a kid he said he used to get to see Spitfires flying close to the memorial flights of Battle of Britain etc..I said yer welcome anytime. He lives just down the road so he's coming over Sunday to have a go.

It's fantastic. It really is.

I explained, and it has to be said with a bit of passion to my mates at work how it feels to fly a Spitfire in VR. One of the blokes welled up a bit and is now coming over to have a go. He always wanted to sit in a cockpit of a Spitfire but has never had the chance. His dad was in the RAF (mine too)and when he was a kid he said he used to get to see Spitfires flying close to the memorial flights of Battle of Britain etc..I said yer welcome anytime. He lives just down the road so he's coming over Sunday to have a go.

It's fantastic. It really is.

Cool! please share his initial reaction. :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This post has transformed my appreciation of my Rift.

I mostly fly Mi-8 and am now using the upgraded Devrim's Black Cockpit. The instruments and switch captions have never been so clear.

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

This post has transformed my appreciation of my Rift.

I mostly fly Mi-8 and am now using the upgraded Devrim's Black Cockpit. The instruments and switch captions have never been so clear.

Exactly, I use Devrim's English cockpits. Awesome work on his part!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes. its really worth it. Case and point. After trying the Rift I decided it was the perfect unit to learn a very realistic flight sim called DCS. I found a guy online who was a pilot in real life and he gave me 6 weeks of flight instruction based on the FAA flight manual in the L-39 Albatross training jet. I was so overwhelmed during my first lesson by the realism of the controls in the cockpit and the experience of flying that I was sweating bullets. 6 weeks later I passed my VR flight exam and have moved onto bigger and better aircraft in DCS (A10C). I may never fly a real jet, but every time (everyday) I put on the Rift, it sure as hell feels like I am. :)

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

Yes. its really worth it. Case and point. After trying the Rift I decided it was the perfect unit to learn a very realistic flight sim called DCS. I found a guy online who was a pilot in real life and he gave me 6 weeks of flight instruction based on the FAA flight manual in the L-39 Albatross training jet. I was so overwhelmed during my first lesson by the realism of the controls in the cockpit and the experience of flying that I was sweating bullets. 6 weeks later I passed my VR flight exam and have moved onto bigger and better aircraft in DCS (A10C). I may never fly a real jet, but every time (everyday) I put on the Rift, it sure as hell feels like I am. :)

:thumbup:

Nice!

Precisely what VR is all about. I have been doing it since middle of Jan, and just can't seem to ever get enough.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|