Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

I'm in exactly the same boat and am trying to find a long molex to sata cable.

Could you say how long a cable did you find and from where please?

I got mine from maplins. 45cm long.

Here you go :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-4-pin-male-molex-to-sata-power-extension-cable-a27nn

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL !!!!!

I felt the same way the first time I flew the Gazelle with the rift!

My stomach turned upside down during a "unplanned" maneuver!:D

Green color fits this perfectly!

I can never go back to 2D again!:)

Don't wait till the next gen comes out!

Have fun today!

ps: There is more to do in VR than JUST fly aircraft!

Try this, Set up a mission so ai bombers, your choice, are tasked to bomb a airfield runway.

Now spawn on said runway in the aircraft of your choice.

Get out of aircraft, (I have a chair next to me for this) and sit or stand.

Watch the show!

Four bombers is quite spectacular!

I have died many times this way!!!!!:megalol:

I havent dared try the Gazelle yet lol and ill deffo trying that bomber run today and see if i can stay on the chair!

This is the future no doubt!

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

.......WOW!

I sat there, loading up the familiar huey, all of a sudden - I'm inside a helicopter. I sat there for a muppet for about five minutes saying wow, then hesitantly pulled up on my collective, my stomach lurched and I realised, this was the best purchase decision i've made in a very long time.

.......WOW!

I sat there, loading up the familiar huey, all of a sudden - I'm inside a helicopter. I sat there for a muppet for about five minutes saying wow, then hesitantly pulled up on my collective, my stomach lurched and I realised, this was the best purchase decision i've made in a very long time.

:thumbup:

Congrats! And great to hear of your first experience.

I hope to be doing the same here later on this afternoon if all goes well...

I think my biggest dilemma will be what to take out first once the Rift is hooked up and ready to go - the KA-50 or the Spitfire...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

.......WOW!

Could not have said it better myself, its just amazing! I still cant fly for more than a 4-5 min and god forbid if i let go of my stick for a sec, it wont stay where i put it so thats the end of VR for the next 30 min :D Man its just crazy how much your brain believes you're there. Also when you have the pilot on (on the vive atleast) and look down, its your feet and arms! I try not too though cause the head feels like its way to far back.

Hands down the best buy i have ever done and ive been scrambling to sell off stuff so i can actually afford to keep this thing. Cant wait for my rift to arrive too, it seems more comfortable and hazzle free.

Edited by trigen

Could not have said it better myself, its just amazing! I still cant fly for more than a 4-5 min and god forbid if i let go of my stick for a sec, it wont stay where i put it so thats the end of VR for the next 30 min :D Man its just crazy how much your brain believes you're there. Also when you have the pilot on (on the vive atleast) and look down, its your feet and arms! I try not too though cause the head feels like its way to far back.

Hands down the best buy i have ever done and ive been scrambling to sell off stuff so i can actually afford to keep this thing. Cant wait for my rift to arrive too, it seems more comfortable and hazzle free.

Trigen, you should set the up, down, back, forward cockpit camera buttons on your hotas so that you can adjust head position. I like to set the position so my body is in the exact same position as the pilot's body.

Alright gang, just got home from my morning golfing session.

Going to shut this puppy down here in a few minutes and see if I can get this Inatek card installed and the Rift hooked up to try.

Hopefully won't be too much longer now.

Anticipation , love it!

Edit: If you don't hear back from me for several hours you know something went way wrong LOL.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

To OP. As a personal rule, I never buy the first generation of anything. I remember when my sister hounded my mother to get her the first generation of the Ipod, the Iphone and DVD player when we were growing up and all of that shit was expensive and broke within the first year or so. Of course, modern manufacturing and quality assurance has come a long way since the 1990s-2000s, so that's not as applicable as it once was, (except for planned obsolescence, which is alive, well and dirty as hell.) but a lot of development costs are usually dumped on the first few generations of hardware produced as they work in better features, higher quality and develop a reputable brand. So as good as it is, I'd say wait unless you have the money to shell out yet another $600-900 in a few years or so, (+ $100-$1000s more money to possibly upgrade your computer to actually handle VR adequately)

Just tried the p-51, amazing :D Actually much easier on the insides too, those helis are all over the place when you fly slow. The first couple of barrel rolls woah, ill be poking my old buddies in VRA for some formation flying with this one!

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Many thanks. :thumbup:

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

To OP. As a personal rule, I never buy the first generation of anything. I remember when my sister hounded my mother to get her the first generation of the Ipod, the Iphone and DVD player when we were growing up and all of that shit was expensive and broke within the first year or so. Of course, modern manufacturing and quality assurance has come a long way since the 1990s-2000s, so that's not as applicable as it once was, (except for planned obsolescence, which is alive, well and dirty as hell.) but a lot of development costs are usually dumped on the first few generations of hardware produced as they work in better features, higher quality and develop a reputable brand. So as good as it is, I'd say wait unless you have the money to shell out yet another $600-900 in a few years or so, (+ $100-$1000s more money to possibly upgrade your computer to actually handle VR adequately)

I kind of consider the CV1 as being second Gen. You could even consider it 3rd Gen if you include the DK1 headset. The CV1 certainly feels a lot more polished to me than a regular 1st gen device and I have zero regrets in buying it except that I should have jumped in with a DK2 when they first released that back in 2014(?).

Ok system is back up and running.

It took me longer to install the Innatek card than I anticipated, turned out I needed a much longer sata power cable - I knew I had to have one around here someone so went digging through the attic through some motherboard boxes and finally found one long enough.

The card is hooked up, drivers installed, and showing properly in device manager.

Now to break open that Rift!

Bad part is, we have to go out to dinner with another couple in couple of hours...

Don B

Ok system is back up and running.

It took me longer to install the Innatek card than I anticipated, turned out I needed a much longer sata power cable - I knew I had to have one around here someone so went digging through the attic through some motherboard boxes and finally found one long enough.

The card is hooked up, drivers installed, and showing properly in device manager.

Bad part is, we have to go out to dinner with another couple in couple of hours...

Pull the old migraine dodge and make sure your wife has a nice night out with friends, 4 hours will go by in a flash once you enter the matrix;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Many thanks. :thumbup:

No problem buddy, glad to help.

He's going to go out to dinner now with a red line all the way around his eyes!! lol.

Pull the old migraine dodge and make sure your wife has a nice night out with friends, 4 hours will go by in a flash once you enter the matrix;)

Now here's a guy who has had a lot of marital practice :D

Edited by bart

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

LOL don't think that would work , nice thought though!

No problem I am retired and plenty of time ahead!

Don B

LOL don't think that would work , nice thought though!

No problem I am retired and plenty of time ahead!

Now you can visit any place in the world from your own chair. Have a nice dinner and think what is waiting for you at home. Lol:D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Ok the Rift is all set up!

Man that demo was incredible, especially with the dinosaur!

Have a problem with DCS though. Everything was setup properly, however when I get in cockpit of my Spit I am facing the rear of the plane, not the front.

Any ideas?

Don B

Have a problem with DCS though. Everything was setup properly, however when I get in cockpit of my Spit I am facing the rear of the plane, not the front.

Any ideas?

Press numpad 5. You'll use it a bit on start up to "position" yourself in the pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas?

Try this....

In game go to Options - Controls tab - on left tab ( where the aircraft list is) open it up and click on UI Layer at the bottom of the list. Bind a button on your stick for "Re-Center VR Headset"

Let us know if it works.......

Its like re-centering your Track ir

Thanks for the tips on how to re-center guys, that will be very helpful.

I closed out DCS and started it again, then all was well!

So took the Spit out for a spin...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDIN ME??

My goodness, this thing far exceeds anything I had tried to visualize!

WOW, about all I can say.

I look forward to getting back from dinner and trying to tweak some settings.

I think I can certainly see where some state they could never go back to a 2D screen, there truly is no comparison! Just the short flight and landing I did, I saw things I had never seen before. Incredible.

Edit: So what is proper way to shut down the Rift, or does one just leave it plugged in and ready to go at anytime?

Don B