Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

Thanks for the tips on how to re-center guys, that will be very helpful.

I closed out DCS and started it again, then all was well!

So took the Spit out for a spin...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDIN ME??

My goodness, this thing far exceeds anything I had tried to visualize!

WOW, about all I can say.

I look forward to getting back from dinner and trying to tweak some settings.

I think I can certainly see where some state they could never go back to a 2D screen, there truly is no comparison! Just the short flight and landing I did, I saw things I had never seen before. Incredible.

Edit: So what is proper way to shut down the Rift, or does one just leave it plugged in and ready to go at anytime?

LOL....you talk like you didn't believe us!!!

:joystick:

I leave it plugged in and just shut down the Oculus software when not using it.

Yup, my Trackir is safely packed away in the drawer now.......

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips on how to re-center guys, that will be very helpful.

I closed out DCS and started it again, then all was well!

So took the Spit out for a spin...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDIN ME??

My goodness, this thing far exceeds anything I had tried to visualize!

WOW, about all I can say.

So what is proper way to shut down the Rift, or does one just leave it plugged in and ready to go at anytime?

I love it. I still feel this way 8 months later. Yeah, just shut down Oculus App and leave it plugged in. Might want to get a nice cloth bag for it or a cover for dust. Though to be honest, mine is used to much to gather dust :pilotfly:.

LOL....you talk like you didn't believe us!!!

:joystick:

I leave it plugged in and just shut down the Oculus software when not using it.

Yup, my Trackir is safely packed away in the drawer now.......

Gotcha, many thanks!

I just can't get over it, just wow!. Couple times in the flight I thought my stomach was going to drop to the floor lol.

This is unbelievable. I am very glad you guys convinced me to go with it!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Gotcha, many thanks!

I just can't get over it, just wow!. Couple times in the flight I thought my stomach was going to drop to the floor lol.

Yeah I know, and every time I try a different module in the Rift for the first time I get the same wow moment! Gazelle is great in the Rift, so is the Bf109, really gives the impression of how small the cockpit really is.

Glad you like your new world mate. Have fun......:thumbup:

Now switch off and go to dinner before your wife confiscates your Rift!!!! :D

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Gotcha, many thanks!

Don't forget to take it up to altitude and bail out just for the fun of it.

Gents, I will be in the club in a couple of days.

Just ordered my Rift, it will arrive beginning next week. Since I had to buy a complete new PC - which I can´t set up before next weekend - I won´t throw up before next Saturday.

I will come back with my review - after cleaning my screen. Wait... What screen??? :doh:

Cheers,

MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Gents, I will be in the club in a couple of days.

Just ordered my Rift, it will arrive beginning next week. Since I had to buy a complete new PC - which I can´t set up before next weekend - I won´t throw up before next Saturday.

I will come back with my review - after cleaning my screen. Wait... What screen??? doh.gif

Cheers,

MadMonty

Congrats. Welcome to the VR club. Look forward to your 1st impressions post.

I got a little longer flight in with the Spit after we got back from dinner.

I am still in just total awe, I can not tell you how happy I am that I purchased the Rift.

I guess I had an idea of what this virtual reality was all about, but it is way beyond what I had tried to envision.

Thanks so much for all the motivation gang and especially for all the help and tips.

Tomorrow I will get down to doing some tweaking - for this initial run I had just reduced my gfx settings by quite a bit without putting too much thought into it. I will work with them some more tomorrow and try to get a balance between the graphics and performance to get the best visuals I can with my system.

I did some maneuvers with the Spit, some loops, split-s's, immelmans. Man sometimes it takes the stomach away LOL. There really is no comparison between this and flying on a 2D screen. I am not sure I can go back to flying one of my other combat sims on the monitor again. Thankfully DCS is my main go to sim anyway.

I will also say as I mentioned early on in another thread, I was really concerned about how it would be with my visual field deficit that I have. It did not bother me at all, no more so than what I see in real life anyway.

Also it may be just me, but seems like my controls are more sensitive flying with the Rift. Maybe I just need to be a little smoother on them. I have a lot more time in the KA-50, I will have a go with it tomorrow and compare how it feels now with the Rift.

One very happy Rift owner here guys, thanks again!

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Its so cool!

Even with the resolution a little lacking going back to 2d will just not happen, i got a 6 monitor setup if i want to but just no!

Now i can have heli setup on my left, my wheel and pedals in the middle and my saitek rudders and flying setup on the right! Can just switch position super easy if the games support centering.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I am aware that the Rift (or VR in general) has not such a high resolution. But do you guys run into any problems identifying everything right in the cockpits? Like using the TAD or TGP in A10c...? Or are you zooming in then like in TrackIR? How is the quality of "information" you get from the displays?

Didn´t sleep a lot, can´t wait for the Rift...

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Once you have the settings right .you can read it all. You can always move your head to see it very clear and sharp. I have the rift 1 week and i am now ready to get multiplayer in it! All settings balanced.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Once you have the settings right .you can read it all. You can always move your head to see it very clear and sharp. I have the rift 1 week and i am now ready to get multiplayer in it! All settings balanced.

Agreed, just turn head to look a the instrument and it comes right into focus. Pretty cool. The Spit cockpit is just beautiful.

Don B

I love reading people's first time in a rift posts, they never get stale. Glad you like it Don, it's one of the best things I've ever bought. I've set up a really simple mission that is just a landing in the Spitfire, and then take off if you wish (if you don't crash it) only takes a few minutes but I keep popping into it whenever I get chance. It's just a pleasure to be in that cockpit.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I tell you what I am so hooked I cannot wait for CV2 version.

Don B

I am still playing around with settings but now I have it maintaining 90 fps - at least flying around in the Spit take off quick mission. Just made probably my best landing so far - still needs work but not bad.

I noticed just putting the headset on the Oculus software starts up automatically - pretty neat.

Still not quite sure on that pixel density thing, not sure I see a lot of difference.

Don B

Already saving up for CV2, the only shortcoming I can see with CV1 is that we have got so used to crystal clear hi res monitors over the last few years, so the pixel gap is a bit off putting. It only really shows up as an issue with distant small shapes, they become a bit fuzzy, but close to medium distance objects are fine. I think that's why made for VR games like Lucky's Tale keep everything in the middle distance and look great as a result.

DCS and Project CARS, my two VR favourites currently, rely a little more on far distance objects, but I don't think you could avoid that in any driving or flying sim. General rift image quality and performance has improved since release, and Project CARS 2 is making significant progress on the VR image quality front though, so there is still some improvement to come for rift users if devs are prepared to support it.

Near and medium objects, like the cockpits and wings look amazing in DCS but the far landscape and other aircraft are less distinct. That will be where the next gen VR headsets come in. There is a cheap Chinese PiMax set doing the rounds with 4K resolution which by all accounts has no screen door or visible pixels, but it lacks software support. That means that 4K resolution may be round the corner.

One big setback for VR is that Intel has barely increased processor speed and grunt in the last few years, concentrating more on power efficiency. They are sniffing the big bucks in mobile and corporate areas rather than desktops and gaming, so those big power hikes we used to enjoy from one cpu gen to the next just don't happen any more. We are gamers, we need more power :joystick:

Edited by John Hargreaves
splngz

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Already saving up for CV2, the only shortcoming I can see with CV1 is that we have got so used to crystal clear hi res monitors over the last few years, [..]
This is not the only reason as far as I'm concerned.

I wear glasses and using the CV1 was really a pain with them :(

I think if the CV1 was comfortable in that regard I might have bought one but to me the discomfort with glasses makes it a no-go.

I'm waiting for more adapted designs to hit the market, such as hinge mounted displays, like the Playstation VR for example (or

).
Edited by PiedDroit

I think if the CV1 was comfortable in that regard I might have bought one but to me the discomfort with glasses makes it a no-go.

I'm waiting for more adapted designs to hit the market, such as hinge mounted displays, like the Playstation VR for example.

Pssst....the glasses shop have glasses that are thight to your face. If you take a smaller glasses you're in.:D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I think it must have something to do with the style of glasses as well, there are plenty of people using the rift with glasses and plenty complaining they don't fit.

I think it must have something to do with the style of glasses as well, there are plenty of people using the rift with glasses and plenty complaining they don't fit.

Mine are not really fancy, they barely fit in width, they were stuck a bit.

The other issue is that I couldn't put the CV1 on while wearing the glasses, I had to fit the glasses inside the rift first, then put CV1+glasses on at the same time.

And while wearing everyting, I had very little room to wiggle without having the glasses touching the CV1's lenses.

To solve that issue I would need glasses that filt really close the the face (with eyelashes brushing on the lenses haha)...

Hey guys question for you.

When I launch a mission and then am at the screen to click the fly button , oftentimes I will click it with the mouse multiple times before it takes and I am in my aircraft.

Is this a bug and happens to others, or just on my end?

Don B

I'm waiting for more adapted designs to hit the market, such as hinge mounted displays, like the Playstation VR for example (or

).

I went with the VR Lens Lab solution. The prescription lenses stay in the headset and you hardly know they are there. They make a big difference vs wearing regular glasses. The lenses are easily removable if you want to let someone else use your Rift/Vive.

http://vr-lens-lab.com