Dear oculus rift cv1 users. Is it really worth it!

boedha68

1) Don't try VR now, it's too addictive and you will unable to resist.

2) Don't spend you last money on it. It is not ready for DCS (see below)

A-10 over Nevada is ok. Dogfight in latest jets is fine! BVR is edgy.

DCS1.5 is usless (fps on GTX-1080), green Crimea is nighmare and will be in DCS2.

WW2 is nightmare (they a tiny / hard to spot!)

3) If you are into SimRacing - go and sell everything, go starving but get VR now!

This is next level to simulation (and FPS with wireless module). And we are on edge of VR ver1.5 when 4K will arrive Gladly, there 2 strong players and many more chasing them. Expect it as early as this year. All technology is ready and 2500pix >>> 3800pix jump is not that huge (2x pixels in total) With eye-trackig things can change even more rapidly (there are OLED screen x5 sharper then in CV1/Vive exist).

Workaround: buy 1 Oculus for 2-3 friends for now and share it.

Edited by chp

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys question for you.

When I launch a mission and then am at the screen to click the fly button , oftentimes I will click it with the mouse multiple times before it takes and I am in my aircraft.

Is this a bug and happens to others, or just on my end?

I found this too in VR, I realised that if you click at the top part of the box it works ok, if you click in the middle, it often doesn't register. In 2D you can click anywhere in the box and it works as expected.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I found this too in VR, I realised that if you click at the top part of the box it works ok, if you click in the middle, it often doesn't register. In 2D you can click anywhere in the box and it works as expected.

Ah thanks for the tip, pretty sure I have been clicking in the middle.

I will try that on my next flight - thanks!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Luckily, it doesn't take long to set it up. The problem is that you don't want to take it off! :thumbup:

-Nick

Tell me about it! I got quite a bit of time in this afternoon with it in the Spit. It has really helped my take offs and landings as well.

Although my last take off, I got a little crazy and lifted off too early, and nosed up and down 2 or 3 times shortly after leaving the runway before gaining solid control. Now my stomach feels like it is in my throat LOL.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would have to disagree with you on most points there chp. DCS in VR is an amazing experience. Do you actually have a Rift or Vive?

I do have Oculus and been following it since DK1.

I had to uninstall DCS1.5 because I'm not interested in non-VR.

Dogfight in 109 is nightmare compared to F-15/Su-27. Mig-15 is small too, but at least these jets are not so meneuravable.

I've spent too many hours in VR (mostly in AssettoCorsa), but gladly eyes get LESS tired compared to monitors.

If you don't know what gadget or upgrade spend your money on - look no further. Otherwise I would wait at least 6 months for Vega/4K news. 150% resolution will do it.

Edited by chp

Hey guys question for you.

When I launch a mission and then am at the screen to click the fly button , oftentimes I will click it with the mouse multiple times before it takes and I am in my aircraft.

Is this a bug and happens to others, or just on my end?

Always press Alt + Enter after starting DCS world. Check on your monitor that it goes to full screen. In full screen mode there´s no problem anymore with the mouse. Hope that helps :)

I do have Oculus and been following it since DK1.

I had to uninstall DCS1.5 because I'm not interested in non-VR.

Dogfight in 109 is nightmare compared to F-15/Su-27. Mig-15 is small too, but at least these jets are not so meneuravable.

I've spent too many hours in VR (mostly in AssettoCorsa), but gladly eyes get LESS tired compared to monitors.

If you don't know what gadget or upgrade spend your money on - look no further. Otherwise I would wait at least 6 months for Vega/4K news. 150% resolution will do it.

So the Rift is worthless for DCS 1.5?

I'm close to ordering one, but I'm only running 1.5 atm.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

This is not the only reason as far as I'm concerned.

I wear glasses and using the CV1 was really a pain with them :(

I think if the CV1 was comfortable in that regard I might have bought one but to me the discomfort with glasses makes it a no-go.

I'm waiting for more adapted designs to hit the market, such as hinge mounted displays, like the Playstation VR for example (or

).

http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/

Originally Posted by PiedDroit viewpost.gif

This is not the only reason as far as I'm concerned.

I wear glasses and using the CV1 was really a pain with them sad.gif

I think if the CV1 was comfortable in that regard I might have bought one but to me the discomfort with glasses makes it a no-go.

I'm waiting for more adapted designs to hit the market, such as hinge mounted displays, like the Playstation VR for example (or

).

http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculu...-lens-inserts/

I would like to post my experience with VR lens lab and needing glasses.

I did buy and try the inserts. They fit Ok after fooling a bit.

However, I found the focus at the edge of my vision was worse than with regular glasses.

I brought them to a optician to have them, and me, tested.

She said they perfectly matched my prescription, even side to side.

She could not understand why they would not work!

I bought a new pair of glasses that are wire rims, very small and fit close to my face. $135.00

Problem is solved. They fit well with plenty of clearance and make putting the head set on and off much easier.

I only use them only for the rift to reduce wear and tear.

YMMV

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

I would like to post my experience with VR lens lab and needing glasses.

I did buy and try the inserts. They fit Ok after fooling a bit.

However, I found the focus at the edge of my vision was worse than with regular glasses.

I brought them to a optician to have them, and me, tested.

She said they perfectly matched my prescription, even side to side.

She could not understand why they would not work!

I bought a new pair of glasses that are wire rims, very small and fit close to my face. $135.00

Problem is solved. They fit well with plenty of clearance and make putting the head set on and off much easier.

I only use them only for the rift to reduce wear and tear.

YMMV

Maybe the reason is that the VR lens is not on your eye directly, and not perfectly centered centered. With prescription glasses the lense is cut so it is centered when the glasses are on your nose.

Also even with prescription glasses, the vision on the edges will have a bit of distortion, only the center will be in perfect focus, so having the VR lenses a little off center or a little too far from the eye will make this distortion more noticeable.

So the Rift is worthless for DCS 1.5?

I'm close to ordering one, but I'm only running 1.5 atm.

Not at all, that was just ridiculously harsh criticism.

CV1 in 1.5 is fantastic, in fact it's the only thing I've been playing for weeks. Yes, we all want higher resolution displays but the current one is good enough to enjoy plenty.

I use mine for 5+ hours straight several nights a week, and have spent up to a ten hour stretch in it several times (minus bio breaks).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Maybe the reason is that the VR lens is not on your eye directly, and not perfectly centered centered. With prescription glasses the lense is cut so it is centered when the glasses are on your nose.

Also even with prescription glasses, the vision on the edges will have a bit of distortion, only the center will be in perfect focus, so having the VR lenses a little off center or a little too far from the eye will make this distortion more noticeable.

Hey guys, I have a question out of curiosity. Are contact lenses not an ideal solution for VR users who need corrective lenses?

Prior to VR finally coming into it's own I'd definitely have opted for glasses if my vision started to deteriorate. After DK1 I'd have definitely gone for contacts for this reason alone. I'd be curious to know if that's the wrong route to take, just in case I do get to where I need them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Hey guys, I have a question out of curiosity. Are contact lenses not an ideal solution for VR users who need corrective lenses?

Prior to VR finally coming into it's own I'd definitely have opted for glasses if my vision started to deteriorate. After DK1 I'd have definitely gone for contacts for this reason alone. I'd be curious to know if that's the wrong route to take, just in case I do get to where I need them.

I don't have a rift, but i can tell you that the distortion which was mentioned above from glasses is not there with contacts.

Besides the difficulty of getting used to putting them in, contacts are superior in almost every way IMO.

This comes from years of me using glasses with strong lenses and then going to contacts.

So i would be willing to bet that the issues mentioned with glasses are non-existent with contacts.

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

If you're comfortable with contacts then you're golden. There won't be any distortion unlike glasses.

Also using contact or glasses is really a personal thing. You may or may not be OK with them - try and see.

Edited by PiedDroit

Are contact lenses not an ideal solution for VR users who need corrective lenses?

Short answer...Yes!

I wear them all the time and have zero issues with them and the rift. Occasionally I have worn my glasses, which are uncomfortable, hard to put on right with the rift and just adds another layer to whats on your face.

I haven't tried the prescription lenses you can buy for the rift, I would imagine they are a good fit, but probably cost as much as getting contact lenses.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Had VR for a few days now and all i can say is that im not really thinking of paying for any flying lessons anymore. Just flying the Huey for 20 minutes at 12 feet is pure joy, hover's are super easy! Watching the grass, shadows, the reflections. This is worth every penny and then some. Imagine when we get proper hand interaction! with touch vive or gloves! Its going to be magnificent. The only thing lacking a little is the resolution but the rest makes up for it by leaps and bounds. I also have a water leak in my eye so its essentially the resolution of the rift for blurriness but i really dont notice it ingame which is great.

Nowdays im either flying or enjoying a mountain scene in Labs.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Always press Alt + Enter after starting DCS world. Check on your monitor that it goes to full screen. In full screen mode there´s no problem anymore with the mouse. Hope that helps :)

Good to know, will do - thanks so much!

Edit - worked like a champ, thanks !

Edited by dburne

Don B

Had VR for a few days now and all i can say is that im not really thinking of paying for any flying lessons anymore. Just flying the Huey for 20 minutes at 12 feet is pure joy, hover's are super easy! Watching the grass, shadows, the reflections. This is worth every penny and then some. Imagine when we get proper hand interaction! with touch vive or gloves! Its going to be magnificent. The only thing lacking a little is the resolution but the rest makes up for it by leaps and bounds. I also have a water leak in my eye so its essentially the resolution of the rift for blurriness but i really dont notice it ingame which is great.

Nowdays im either flying or enjoying a mountain scene in Labs.

Isn't it just other worldly. I dreamed of this as a kid, when I got into sims in the early days. Which is what got me into the career I am in now. Now to have tech that achieves that, and will only get better with each iteration, I am just happy it finally has made it here. I bought gen 1, of both even with it's flaws to help ensure there will be a gen 2, which I will buy to support a gen 3 and so on. This is the biggest advancement in sim gaming and even other areas obviously(my girl got over a fear of snakes by using my VR for gods sake). I hope more adopt it to ensure it gets the dev priority it really does deserve.

I see one day senior centers and a bunch of folks still enjoying the world in a way that perhaps their mobility or strength/health or what have you that may limit them, but with VR, they still can. And I will be that old dude still dropping bombs and buzzing the tower sounding crazy while yelling out VA commands.

This is the biggest advancement in sim gaming and even other areas obviously(my girl got over a fear of snakes by using my VR for gods sake). I hope more adopt it to ensure it gets the dev priority it really does deserve.

I anticipate in just a few very short years gaming on a 2d monitor is going to seem very primitive. This is a huge game changer for sure.

I have had my Rift running for 3 days now, and already I am so looking forward to seeing what CV2 brings us. I just hope FB continues to keep a large part of the focus on the PC gaming community.

Don B

Not at all, that was just ridiculously harsh criticism.

CV1 in 1.5 is fantastic, in fact it's the only thing I've been playing for weeks. Yes, we all want higher resolution displays but the current one is good enough to enjoy plenty.

I use mine for 5+ hours straight several nights a week, and have spent up to a ten hour stretch in it several times (minus bio breaks).

Ok, let me give some exampels and you will give us yours.

1) Performance of 1.5 is nowhere near 2.0alpha and not enough for VR.

If you turn everything off and fly above cloulds - you may use it. But down low - it stutters with little or no action. That's why Matt Wagner has outlined that soon we will get Black Sea region in 2.0 with butter-smooth 60+ fps

2) DCS is not about BVR alone. Fire a quick CAS mission on A-10. Try to spot ground targets. You got to be 5 times closer (face the barrel) to do so, compared to 2.0 Both, because of masking terrain and it's quality (low res, slow engine).

3) Quality of graphics and physics in VR are "magnified". What looks ok or even good on 2D becomes ugly in VR (Gfx of The vanishing of Ethan Carter, physics of LifeForSpeed, both for ProjectCars and DirtRally) Black Sea map and its objects are not detailed enough.

So why bother with 1.5? Have fun on Nevada for now, there is plenty. Crimea will be back. Maybe even after Normandy, but we will get it.

Bonus: even if you not into mud-moving, get a quick-mission with Bf-109 against P-51 and tell me at wich second you get lost track of Mustang. Compare it with Mig-15 vs Saber, compare it with Su-27 vs F/A-18 dogfight. Get BVR quick-mission with MiG-29, let 2 A-10 and 2 Tornados get you by - try to visually find them all.

My call: there are tonns of fun and immersion. But now you get only half of it with 2500x screen, and half of DCS with Nevada. If you had to save for VR, wait a bit - there might be hints of 3800x version.

If you do like simracing - get VR now. You will get full fun in racing and quite some in DCS.

Sorry chp, but none of that puts me off in the slightest. I know it's not perfect, but I believe that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages with the rift. I'm happy to put up with the shortcomings and look forward to them being fixed in due course with future versions. I pre ordered the rift back in January and haven't regretted it once. For driving and flying this really is the best thing we've had for a long time.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1