[WIP] Danish Delight...

VH-Rock

rdafspit9.jpg

When we first heard about getting a Spitfire Mk IX for DCS, I was asked by a friend of mine (Henrik) about painting some Danish Spitfires... As ever, I said yes without realising the work involved... Henrik has done a great deal of research on the RDAF Spitfires, giving me a mountain of reference material to work from. We have all the original Camo pattern drawings, stencil placement and insignia dimensions and locations (As well as dozens of photos of the aircraft in question). The more we looked into these aircraft, the more we realised just how different they were...

The standard factory camo was removed and painted with the RDAF's own pattern, all the stencils were re-done in danish, colours were different all over the aircraft etc... This one is going to be a mammoth task, but I thought it would be fun to keep a sort of 'Dev Diary' going as work progresses. Perhaps Henrik could chime in too with some of the other information he has found...

Anyway, this is the first pass at the basic 'standardised' (but open to interpretation) RDAF camo

RDAF.png

• Like 1

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

Fantastic i was thinking of making this skin myself, if no one did it :) Big thx from Denmark

:pilotfly:Wolfpack Production:pilotfly:

-=<[WiN 10, I7 3770K @ 4,5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Dominator, Sapphire 7970 VaporX 6GB, C70 Vengance, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro rudder, Track IR, Beyerdynamics MMX 300 ]>=-

DCS/FC2/FC3/Arma videos on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfpackproductionDK

"Fortes Furtuna Juvat"

• 6 months later...

Hi Folks,

Sorry it's been a while, I've been very busy with lots of things outside of DCS... Due to how much work is involved with this scheme, we decided to hold off until the official template was released. Now that it has been, we're starting to look at these again. Here's how she looks at the minute - hopefully I'll be able to post some more updates in the coming weeks. Henrik is currently busy translating all the stencils into Danish for me...

RDAF4.png

RDAF3.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some background for the "Danish Delight"

Introduction

I'm the guy asking VH-Rock for a Danish skin for the Spitfire Mk IX.

And I am very grateful that he agreed to take it on. :)

The reason I asked him (apart from him being a great texture artist) is that the ED Spitfire Mk IX module is actually one of the closest types to the Royal Danish Air Force types there is in DCS.

There have been Danish skins for many of the other modules, but they have all been "what-if"s.

Here we had a chance to for the first time recreate a type that has actually flown in the RDAF.

AmQMpHz.png

Spitfires in the RDAF

To start with the beginning, Denmark was, after the war, in need of rebuilding its air force.

As many other small countries, a good beginning was to purchase surplus aircraft from the previously fighting parties, and in that way acquire fairly modern material to start its service with.

Denmark, being an ally and good friend to the UK, chose to acquire Spitfires.

JBeRHRf.jpg

Like so many other purchases of that kind, it seems that some considerations and test purchases had been made, before settling with what would become the major type in service.

The majority of the Danish Spitfires ended up to be HF Mk IX with E-wings, but at the same time they were a great bunch of different types:

High-back, drop hood, old type tail, pointy new type tail, elliptic wing, clipped wing etc.

Apparently basically anything they could get a hold on at the time.

And very much fun to find pictures of, any flight or squadron seems to have been a mix of all the different types at once. :)

See some examples here:

GXNWcjv.jpgAxcaT2B.jpg

nPJkIuX.jpg

The 41-401

Now, where it gets interesting to us, is the very first aircraft that was tested and purchased.

This particular aircraft was not a HF. Instead it seems to have been an LF Mk IX, the only one that entered flying service in the RDAF.

Apparently, this aircraft was purchased before it was chosen to carry on with HF Mk IXs instead.

Other LF Mk IXs were purchased, but these were only used as stationary frames, used for training of mechanics.

This first aircraft was given the first number in the series, 41-401.

It's factory serial number was NH417.

Now, what follows is in interesting bit of history:

When the Spitfires were phased out, apparently someone thought it would be a good idea to save a sample for posterity.

And thus we have, even today, the 41-401 exhibited in a museum in Denmark, restored to very fine condition.

This is very fine.

WgTql4f.jpg

Except, this 41-401 never flew in the RDAF..

For a long time it was assumed that the museum 41-401 was the real thing.

But what had apparently been forgotten was that the Spitfire we can see today, was actually one of the stationary frames, refurbished and painted as the first in the series, the 41-401.

Only in 1998 a restoration team investigated further, and found that this machine was not the NH417.

After removing anti-corrosion paint on the engine firewall, the real serial number was fund, MA298.

0u0eWYA.pngnHj9ujj.png

Now, as if this wasn't enough, this particular sample proved to be one of the rare Mk Vc converted to Mk IX!

So this particular aircraft has gone through a life as Mk Vc -> LF Mk IX (probably C-wing) -> Museum exhibit LF Mk IXe. :)

Sadly, for this reason it has proved impossible (for me at least) to dig up pictures of the real 41-401, the NH417.

All pictures out there are of the restored NA298.

But we have tried to look at pictures of contemporary Spitfires, in order to find details of how they were painted.

33OffyG.png

And, as luck would have it, someone was nice enough to put some original documents describing the RDAF paint scheme online, incl. national ID markings and even the Danish language stencils!

So, VH-Rocks skin will eventually contain these as well.

gihxC0b.png

And, apart from the C-wing, we will have one of the most correct RDAF skins out there. :)

Some remarks

During our research, a picture have emerged of the life of a small air force in the post war years.

It has been clear, that it has sometimes been a bit of a challenge for the pilots and crew to handle these powerful machines.

It might have been the same during the war (or actually probably been the same), but here incidents and accidents have been covered quite well.

Here some examples, but there are many more.

VmJFhmA.jpgu7tv6gM.jpg

hXmkJeA.jpg

Now, my post here is just a little summary of the story, that only scratches the surface.

For those who'd like to read more (and see more pictures ;) ) I have collected the main sources of information that I have used.

All pictures are from these pages, and copyright of their respective owners.

I hope you enjoyed this overview.

I will certainly enjoy VH-Rock's skin when it's done, and hope others will too. :)

Greetings and thanks from

Sporg

Sources:

Online summary of all Spitfires ever produced according to serial number, and with a brief history of each sample.

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/home.html

(I have attached a text extract containing all the RDAF Spitfires in the database.)

A Danish page with the Danish WW II spitfires, and the RDAF Spitfire history.

There is a good description of the 41-401, Danish and English.

http://www.spitfire.dk/

RDAF Spitfire history. Danish only sadly, but might be Google translated.

Contains the pdf's with colour and marking schemes for the machines.

https://flyvehistorie.wordpress.com/flyvevabnet-samt-haerens-og-sovaernets-flyvende-enheder-efter-1945/spitfire/

A digitized collection of photos from the RDAF Historical Collection (Flyvevåbnets Historiske Samling)

Write "Spitfire" in the search field and press "Søg".

www.forsvarsgalleriet.dk/flyhis/#1470404936586_8

A thread with description of the finds on the museum RDAF 41-401.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?131932-Danish-Spitfire-IX-MA298

Finally, a link to the pdf about the find of 41-401 being MA298:

http://www.milfly.dk/pdf/41-401_id.pdf

RDAF Spitfires.txt

• Like 1

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

And now you all see why I really had to do this project... There really aren't many skinning projects out there where you have this kind of information available to you. Thanks for posting, Henrik :)

Introduction

I'm the guy asking VH-Rock for a Danish skin for the Spitfire Mk IX.

And I am very grateful that he agreed to take it on. :)

The reason I asked him (apart from him being a great texture artist) is that the ED Spitfire Mk IX module is actually one of the closest types to the Royal Danish Air Force types there is in DCS.

There have been Danish skins for many of the other modules, but they have all been "what-if"s.

Here we had a chance to for the first time recreate a type that has actually flown in the RDAF.

AmQMpHz.png

Spitfires in the RDAF

To start with the beginning, Denmark was, after the war, in need of rebuilding its air force.

As many other small countries, a good beginning was to purchase surplus aircraft from the previously fighting parties, and in that way acquire fairly modern material to start its service with.

Denmark, being an ally and good friend to the UK, chose to acquire Spitfires.

JBeRHRf.jpg

Like so many other purchases of that kind, it seems that some considerations and test purchases had been made, before settling with what would become the major type in service.

The majority of the Danish Spitfires ended up to be HF Mk IX with E-wings, but at the same time they were a great bunch of different types:

High-back, drop hood, old type tail, pointy new type tail, elliptic wing, clipped wing etc.

Apparently basically anything they could get a hold on at the time.

And very much fun to find pictures of, any flight or squadron seems to have been a mix of all the different types at once. :)

See some examples here:

GXNWcjv.jpgAxcaT2B.jpg

nPJkIuX.jpg

The 41-401

Now, where it gets interesting to us, is the very first aircraft that was tested and purchased.

This particular aircraft was not a HF. Instead it seems to have been an LF Mk IX, the only one that entered flying service in the RDAF.

Apparently, this aircraft was purchased before it was chosen to carry on with HF Mk IXs instead.

Other LF Mk IXs were purchased, but these were only used as stationary frames, used for training of mechanics.

This first aircraft was given the first number in the series, 41-401.

It's factory serial number was NH417.

Now, what follows is in interesting bit of history:

When the Spitfires were phased out, apparently someone thought it would be a good idea to save a sample for posterity.

And thus we have, even today, the 41-401 exhibited in a museum in Denmark, restored to very fine condition.

This is very fine.

WgTql4f.jpg

Except, this 41-401 never flew in the RDAF..

For a long time it was assumed that the museum 41-401 was the real thing.

But what had apparently been forgotten was that the Spitfire we can see today, was actually one of the stationary frames, refurbished and painted as the first in the series, the 41-401.

Only in 1998 a restoration team investigated further, and found that this machine was not the NH417.

After removing anti-corrosion paint on the engine firewall, the real serial number was fund, MA298.

0u0eWYA.pngnHj9ujj.png

Now, as if this wasn't enough, this particular sample proved to be one of the rare Mk Vc converted to Mk IX!

So this particular aircraft has gone through a life as Mk Vc -> LF Mk IX (probably C-wing) -> Museum exhibit LF Mk IXe. :)

Sadly, for this reason it has proved impossible (for me at least) to dig up pictures of the real 41-401, the NH417.

All pictures out there are of the restored NA298.

But we have tried to look at pictures of contemporary Spitfires, in order to find details of how they were painted.

33OffyG.png

And, as luck would have it, someone was nice enough to put some original documents describing the RDAF paint scheme online, incl. national ID markings and even the Danish language stencils!

So, VH-Rocks skin will eventually contain these as well.

gihxC0b.png

And, apart from the C-wing, we will have one of the most correct RDAF skins out there. :)

Some remarks

During our research, a picture have emerged of the life of a small air force in the post war years.

It has been clear, that it has sometimes been a bit of a challenge for the pilots and crew to handle these powerful machines.

It might have been the same during the war (or actually probably been the same), but here incidents and accidents have been covered quite well.

Here some examples, but there are many more.

VmJFhmA.jpgu7tv6gM.jpg

hXmkJeA.jpg

Now, my post here is just a little summary of the story, that only scratches the surface.

For those who'd like to read more (and see more pictures ;) ) I have collected the main sources of information that I have used.

All pictures are from these pages, and copyright of their respective owners.

I hope you enjoyed this overview.

I will certainly enjoy VH-Rock's skin when it's done, and hope others will too. :)

Greetings and thanks from

Sporg

Sources:

Online summary of all Spitfires ever produced according to serial number, and with a brief history of each sample.

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/home.html

(I have attached a text extract containing all the RDAF Spitfires in the database.)

A Danish page with the Danish WW II spitfires, and the RDAF Spitfire history.

There is a good description of the 41-401, Danish and English.

http://www.spitfire.dk/

RDAF Spitfire history. Danish only sadly, but might be Google translated.

Contains the pdf's with colour and marking schemes for the machines.

https://flyvehistorie.wordpress.com/flyvevabnet-samt-haerens-og-sovaernets-flyvende-enheder-efter-1945/spitfire/

A digitized collection of photos from the RDAF Historical Collection (Flyvevåbnets Historiske Samling)

Write "Spitfire" in the search field and press "Søg".

www.forsvarsgalleriet.dk/flyhis/#1470404936586_8

A thread with description of the finds on the museum RDAF 41-401.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?131932-Danish-Spitfire-IX-MA298

Finally, a link to the pdf about the find of 41-401 being MA298:

http://www.milfly.dk/pdf/41-401_id.pdf

Edited by VH-Rock
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Rock.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

This is amazing. Cant wait to fly a proper Danish bird in DCS.

And thank you for this look into the NH417 and Danish Spitfire history :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all

The project is not dead, but VH-Rock has gotten so much to do in his life, that he sadly rarely has time to do skin work anymore, if at all.

I have some screenshots and a video of it in its current state, and VH-Rock has said that he might upload it as is, before finishing it at a later point.

From older version of DCS:

VvVC8UY.jpg

r2XMnBJ.jpg

From video recorded yesterday, 08-11-2019:

mYMM0ub.jpg

Video here:

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 4 months later...

Any news?

I'm really looking forward to this.

Hi all

The project is not dead, but VH-Rock has gotten so much to do in his life, that he sadly rarely has time to do skin work anymore, if at all.

I have some screenshots and a video of it in its current state, and VH-Rock has said that he might upload it as is, before finishing it at a later point.

From older version of DCS:

VvVC8UY.jpg

r2XMnBJ.jpg

From video recorded yesterday, 08-11-2019:

mYMM0ub.jpg

Video here:

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Intel i7-9700K | 32 GB DDR4 CL15 @3000mhz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 8GB Gaming OC | 512 GB SSD + 1 TB MVME M2 | Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Motherbord | LG34" Ultrawide 1440p | Oculus Quest 2 | Hotas X56

Modules and maps:

Supercarrier | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C | Spitfire Mk. IX | F-5E Tiger II | Yak-52 | FC3 | MB-339 A | A-4E-C | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy