My spoiler free review

Initially, after watching the trailer for this campaign I was quite sceptical regarding the premise for the story. I haven’t been DCSing for very long but it is the incredible realism that has sparked and retained my interest. Being new to the sim, I wanted to play a campaign with a less complex aircraft than say the A-10, so I decided to take the plunge, despite my reservations.

At the time of purchase, I also added the Sabre (one of my all-time favourite jets) and Mig-15 to my stable, so I was a complete novice in both aircraft. I read the back story and the first briefing (after a brief sojourn through the training missions) with the thoughts that at least this campaign will give me some structured learning. I couldn’t have been more wrong if I tried. Sat in a cold and dark cockpit at the start of mission 1, the story was immediately my own, I was fully invested no matter where the story took me from here.

The learning curve was perfect for me, a complete Sabre novice, teaching me the basics of my aircraft at first and introducing further aspects at a reasonable pace. That’s not to say I wasn’t challenged because one of the early missions left me slumped in my seat with very sweaty palms. This was a combination of my novice mistakes compounding a tricky but very well designed set of mission parameters. Just as I was thinking I was getting the hang of the aircraft, the campaign would throw up another curve-ball. I was repeatedly served up with difficult situations that I just about had the knowledge to get through (remember, I am a novice at this point), leaving me a little flustered to say the least, but also with a sense of great satisfaction and pride at triumphing in the face of adversity.

Without realising it, I had gone from complete Sabre novice, needing written checklists for start-up, checking and re-checking systems to make sure everything was just so, often keeping friendly forces waiting as I lumbered through my start-up procedures, to a pilot knowing exactly how I wanted things, finishing my check-lists as I rolled down the taxi-way, canopy open with the whistle of jet engines on a busy pre-ops base.

The briefings and documentation are top notch, as are the many voice-overs, which all add to the immersion. The missions themselves are varied and interesting, not to mention a lot of fun too. I genuinely felt part of the struggle, albeit a very small one.

It’s difficult to write a proper review without spoilers, but I hope this goes some way to help people who may be still on the fence.

So, what of my early reservations regarding the setting and story? Since completing the campaign, I have taken my Sabre out for many sentimental dusk flights and enjoyed many lazy turns, slow rolls and gentle climbs that only peace-time flying can bring. I didn’t play the campaign, I lived it.

:thumbup:

Edited by TheDoctorB

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing your views on this campaign ... its one of the few Campaigns that I have not purchased, mainly because I havent yet dedicated time to learn the F-86 or MiG-15 in spite that I've had them for some time (I purchased them at a Sale).

Since it seems, from your description, that one doesnt need to be an expert at those modules to enjoy the Campaign, I will took advantage of this last day of Sale, to purchase it at half price .. :)

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 months later...

I wholeheartedly agree with this review. I've had the saber for a looong time, and finally got around to learning to fly her. I found her to be a joy to fly, and after doing the training missions and single missions I found myself wanting something more. I then discovered this campaign and decided to give it a shot (I admit I was a bit skeptical about the premise - I had hoped for a more period specific campaign). I'm glad I did. It was challenging in all of the right ways, as well as immersive and... just plain fun! Like the OP, I didn't play the campaign - I lived it.

Well done - and I hope to see more content like this for this plane! (And the Mig too - though I don't enjoy flying that nearly as much as the F-86)