Oculus Rift immersion is incredible.

Rotorhead11

I got a rift over the holidays and was mainly messing around with rift specific stuff for a few days. Then thought lets have a go in DCS. WOW. It just blew me away. The feeling of physically being in a cockpit is incredible. I spent hours just flying around sight seeing.

My only gripe is with the pilot body on, it tends to position you slightly farther back and the body is wrong. Turning the pilot off solves this though.

If you love DCS and can afford a rift, buy one, the difference to 2d and VR is as different as black and white and colour. It give you full on 3d physical cockpit. Nothing on youtube does it justice, 100 times better in the rift.

Thank you FC, I have a whole new world to play in.:pilotfly::thumbup:

• Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) yea, I know that feeling ... I need my daily fix of flying since I got it

I've been playing with simulators since the ZX Spectrum and the fidelity has always been improving, but this is a step change in my opinion, it takes the whole thing onto a new level. As a real pilot, it truly gives the feeling of being in the cockpit. And its only going to get better. :thumbup:

welcome to the club :-) there is no turning back from VR

Edited by fulcrum_64th

:pilotfly:

win 10x64 - Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - I9 9900K@5.0GHz - Samsung 970 EVO m2 2TB - RAM Corsair 64GB DDR4 - Corsair H150i pro - Strix RTX 2080 Ti- oculus rift S and a few other goodies :joystick:

Well you guys have about made up my mind for me, was trying to hold out for maybe next generation but don't think I am going to be able to at this point.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sell everything else you have to get one. I promise you will not be disappointed. :thumbup:

Lol no need to do that, just need to take that final step and pull the trigger. I am very close.

I do get the point though :)

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Been flying with the rift for months now, never gets old! I want to try a heli now though, which one do you guys think would be most fun in VR?

For me the Gazelle, but I have time in the real thing and don't have a problem with it. But for some it is difficult. For sure the Huey has a simpler autopilot so easier to get it in the air and just let it fly while you gaze out at the world.

0600 heading east from the coast with some clouds. as the sun comes up is just surreal in the rift.

Regarding VR is there a noticeable difference of terrain textures if mods are used, for example if I used starways textures will it be noticeably different to the standard textures in DCS? Or will it effect performance too greatly? Thanks in advance

RAF Air UK Website

http://www.rafairuk-dcs.co.uk/

Mike Alpha Tango's YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9oKDSVDDDErRVjRFqgu3bA

Intel i7-6700k

RTX 2080TI

Gigabyte Z170-gaming K3

32gb DDR4 RAM

Hotas Warthog

CV1

Regarding VR is there a noticeable difference of terrain textures if mods are used, for example if I used starways textures will it be noticeably different to the standard textures in DCS? Or will it effect performance too greatly? Thanks in advance

I'm not sure, I don't use add on textures.

What you see on a 2d monitor is not what you get in VR, it is slightly more blury. You have to see it to understand.

I am incredibly impressed with 1.5 frame rates, no performance hits in VR for me, and I have a GTX745 card which is below the recommended GTX970. I've got a 1060 due this week. In 2.0 I notice it is not so smooth but it is a beta so can't complain.

In VR it is not the resolution or textures, it is the immersion. Nothing in videos shows how amazing it is, it can't, it is 2d on a monitor.

If you can afford it get one, it will blow you away for sure. :pilotfly:

I currently flying North towards Sochi at 13500 feet at 0710 with the sun blinding me to the east and the coast on my left and mountains to my front. Scattered clouds at 10000. Nothing outside of real world flying has ever come this close. No point in posting pictures as they don't show what is VR.

That's it these sort of threads are bad really really bad! Bad for my wallet that is. plan on getting a Rift next month along with collective and cyclic. I need :helpsmilie:

Been flying with the rift for months now, never gets old! I want to try a heli now though, which one do you guys think would be most fun in VR?

I'd recommend the Huey there are no stability assist features no auto pilot (except when you engage the targeting system as co-pilot and that is part of DCS not the Huey) so it's a raw visceral experience flying the Huey (it is for me at least). I still have problems landing the Gazelle gently! But after some hours you can fly the Huey with just 2 instruments ears and eyes that's take off flying and landing the only other 2 things you need to keep an eye on to confirm your reality and that of the Huey match are the altitude DME and gas producer but the later can largely be done by ear just listen to that turbine transmission and those blades and be gentle with all inputs. :thumbup:

RL Pilots does the above sound about right?

I would also say to fly a heli you need to learn the basics of helicopter flight and the gotchas of heli flight. You may also want turn down the sensitivity of your controllers (but that's a personal thing).

The reason I'd recommend the Huey is above all else it's FUN to fly and sod it now I really want a Rift,... :pilotfly:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

That's it these sort of threads are bad really really bad! Bad for my wallet that is. plan on getting a Rift next month along with collective and cyclic. I need :helpsmilie:

I'd recommend the Huey there are no stability assist features no auto pilot (except when you engage the targeting system as co-pilot and that is part of DCS not the Huey) so it's a raw visceral experience flying the Huey (it is for me at least). I still have problems landing the Gazelle gently! But after some hours you can fly the Huey with just 2 instruments ears and eyes that's take off flying and landing the only other 2 things you need to keep an eye on to confirm your reality and that of the Huey match are the altitude DME and gas producer but the later can largely be done by ear just listen to that turbine transmission and those blades and be gentle with all inputs. :thumbup:

RL Pilots does the above sound about right?

I would also say to fly a heli you need to learn the basics of helicopter flight and the gotchas of heli flight. You may also want turn down the sensitivity of your controllers (but that's a personal thing).

The reason I'd recommend the Huey is above all else it's FUN to fly and sod it now I really want a Rift,... :pilotfly:

I've flown the Gazelle and it really works in the sim as in real life. I like it.

Never flown a real Huey, but it acts as I would expect.

I've just got the MI8 and I can't fly it for shit. I've never flown a heavy helicopter so it is probably me. Planning to spend the day tomorrow trying to get it.

I've flown the Gazelle and it really works in the sim as in real life. I like it.

Never flown a real Huey, but it acts as I would expect.

I've just got the MI8 and I can't fly it for shit. I've never flown a heavy helicopter so it is probably me. Planning to spend the day tomorrow trying to get it.

Enjoy your Mi8 a lot of people love it :thumbup:

I'm waiting for a Cobra. Something like oh AH-1W maybe. :music_whistling:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Try a carrier landing with the SU-33 - pure love...

I tried the day before yesterday, best carrier landing I ever made. I love the control you suddenly have over everything you fly:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me the Gazelle, but I have time in the real thing and don't have a problem with it. But for some it is difficult. For sure the Huey has a simpler autopilot so easier to get it in the air and just let it fly while you gaze out at the world.

0600 heading east from the coast with some clouds. as the sun comes up is just surreal in the rift.

Welcome to the club Rotorhead but whats an autopilot? :)

Dburne - do it, just do it :)

Edited by X93355

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908