Oculus Rift immersion is incredible.

Rotorhead11

I'm so keen to get a Rift, but I'm a little concerned about the need to wear reading glasses, which I occasionally do when flying now. I only need to wear glasses to read computers screens (small fonts), menus books etc. Quite often I don't need them when flying DCS with my 34" monitor running at 3440 x 1440. However, the closer something is to my face the more I require glasses, hence my concern about the Rift.

I've read a few articles and watched a few videos on the subject, but was keen for some feedback from other DCS simmers who wear glasses please. I'm not keen about wearing contact lenses.

I've seen you can also get some optical lenses made to suit your respective eyesight pescription that fit into the rift http://vr-lens-lab.com If anyone has used these I'd be interested in your comments as well please.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try air to air refueling. Hitting the basket is so much easier in the rift

Yea, the rift changed the whole A/A refueling for me in all platforms, specially on the F15.

It makes holding the right position much easier due to the depth perception.

I've just got the MI8 and I can't fly it for shit. I've never flown a heavy helicopter so it is probably me. Planning to spend the day tomorrow trying to get it.

I think the problem you might have is that you are fighting the SAS, that works a bit different than the one in the gazelle. Also being that fatty doesn't help either. It happened to me when I transitioned from the Ka50 and UH1 to it.

For me the key for stable flight is heading hold AP, and then using the rudders to command a turn. That disconnects the H-HLD until you center the pedals again and locks in the new heading. Works flawlessly. Also, decelerating requires a lot of distance, takes time to get used to it.

As a pilot with RL experience in the gazelle, is that nimble in RL? I mean, it almost predicts where I want to turn before I complete the control inputs, lol. I though about reducing the curves on the controls, but if thats how the real thing flies, i wont touch them

Also, AP on the huey? That's cheating lol

I'm so keen to get a Rift, but I'm a little concerned about the need to wear reading glasses, which I occasionally do when flying now. I only need to wear glasses to read computers screens (small fonts), menus books etc. Quite often I don't need them when flying DCS with my 34" monitor running at 3440 x 1440. However, the closer something is to my face the more I require glasses, hence my concern about the Rift

I dont think you will have enough clearing to wear the glasses and then straping the rift on. If they make contact, you might damage the rift and your lenses...

That VR lenses you posted looks like a good solution for me. I'm not sure about how they will behave with brigh lights, Oculus suffers what they call "god's rays" a kind of lens flare due to how they are built. Judging what they said in the web page, that should not be a problem, but who knows without trying them before.

Edited by harm_

I'm so keen to get a Rift, but I'm a little concerned about the need to wear reading glasses, which I occasionally do when flying now. I only need to wear glasses to read computers screens (small fonts), menus books etc. Quite often I don't need them when flying DCS with my 34" monitor running at 3440 x 1440. However, the closer something is to my face the more I require glasses, hence my concern about the Rift.

I've read a few articles and watched a few videos on the subject, but was keen for some feedback from other DCS simmers who wear glasses please. I'm not keen about wearing contact lenses.

I've seen you can also get some optical lenses made to suit your respective eyesight pescription that fit into the rift http://vr-lens-lab.com If anyone has used these I'd be interested in your comments as well please.

I wear glasses and while the rift occasionally pulls them off when taking it off it has presented me with no problems at all.

RotorHead11, when you get a moment could you post your PC specs?

Sure: i5 4460 3.2 ghz, 8 gig ram. Geforce gtx 745 2 gig memory.

This runs DCS on high with no problems. I have a new card on order gtx 1060, as on some other games mine doesn't have the oomph to run the headset and it is laggy. The cpu is below that recommended but it is the graphics card that is the bottleneck, the chip does fine.

yes...yes...yes.....What is this mumbo jumbo!!! I just asked in another thread and now THIS goes VIRAL!!!! Think again!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180204

Come on, there are points to wait a little more. Microsoft just announced new VR glasses about $ 300 and what will be the resolutions?

Can i buy it NOW? Yes, i can. But is there a better product or a massive price drop in a half year?

3d...you bet i know! Waiting...yes... 800 bucks is a very lot of money! :huh:

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Just as with all PC hardware there will always be something better on the horizon I suppose. I have been debating getting a Rift for quite some time and have decided I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on it here in the next few days - which means shortly after I receive it then the next better generation will be released lol...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just as with all PC hardware there will always be something better on the horizon I suppose. I have been debating getting a Rift for quite some time and have decided I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on it here in the next few days - which means shortly after I receive it then the next better generation will be released lol...

Yep know that feeling but hey. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

True you can always wait for a price drop or the next new thing, but you may end up waiting forever ;)

I got mine for 680 euros, including delivery. Which I think was worth it :joystick:

If you're ever near Almere I invite you to mine to have a go and try it for yourself. :thumbup:

If you only wear glasses to focus up close, i.e. ageing eyes that just aren't as flexible as they once were, (like me) then I don't think you'll even need to worry about them. The way the rift lenses work, you are focusing on things at their real distance away from you, so the closest you'll need to focus is on the instrument panel, which is a couple of feet away. Looking out the window is just like in real life, you'll be focused on infinity or thereabouts.

A lot of people think that because the lenses are just a few cm from your eyes, you have to focus on that distance, but it's not the case.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Good point John. I'm long sighted so where my eyes focus it is blurry, so I wear my glasses. Near sighted people shouldn't have this problem.

No it is the other way around.

Bear in mind that it has lenses that makes things look like they're far away (from an optical point of view).

I'm short sighted and I couldn't see anything clear in the rift, I had to use my glasses.

And the screen in the rift is at a physical distance of the eye were I see crystal clear normally.

If you only wear glasses to focus up close, i.e. ageing eyes that just aren't as flexible as they once were, (like me) then I don't think you'll even need to worry about them. The way the rift lenses work, you are focusing on things at their real distance away from you, so the closest you'll need to focus is on the instrument panel, which is a couple of feet away. Looking out the window is just like in real life, you'll be focused on infinity or thereabouts.

A lot of people think that because the lenses are just a few cm from your eyes, you have to focus on that distance, but it's not the case.

Not true, the focus distance doesn't change. The only thing that change is the difference between two pictures (left/right), which makes your brain think it's close

Edited by PiedDroit

I'm not arguing with you but I see things in the distance blurred. So wear glasses to correct this. In the rift things are blurred and by wearing my glasses it brings them into focus. Just saying what works for me.

No arguing there, just clearing misconceptions ;)

Rift lenses have a fixed focus distance (optical), which is rather far.

The 3D effect is only obtained by tricking the brain with left/right picture difference, no magical change of focus distance.

That's it :smartass:

Not true, the focus distance doesn't change. The only thing that change is the difference between two pictures (left/right), which makes your brain think it's close

You do actually to change focus in your eyes with the rift.

Physically the images are projected on a couple of screen at a predetermined distance and headset lenses makes it look like they are a bit farther. That is truth, there is no physical change in focus distance on the image.

It is an optic trick, and it has to do with the way the images are rendered, and there is no physical change in focus distance, but it doesnt matters, by tricking the brain using different images and with the optics, the effect is just the one intended. You have to change focus your eyes.

This is very noticiable on landing, for instance in the F5. You either focus on the runway or in the dashboard. You can't see both in focus. At least with a normal vision

The focus distance is smaller than IRL, but it is there, and by being closer than irl the depht of field is narrower.

Edited by harm_

I'm very much a helicopter man, I fly them in RL. So am just poodling about in the Huey and Gazelle in awe at the world. Not tried fixed wing yet, maybe tomorrow :D

I strongly recommend flying the Shark in VR - it is a phenomenal experience, especially with the 3D nose stiking out the front and looking over your shoulder at the stub wings.

Sometimes I just sit in the Ka-50 in complete awe - and I've had my Rift 7 months! (and have all modules except 2).

I've also become a far better Ka-50 pilot since donning my VR headset.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I've also become a far better Ka-50 pilot since donning my VR headset.

Ooh the KA-50 is my main go to module, really looking forward to this. The Spit coming in a close second now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No it is the other way around.

Bear in mind that it has lenses that makes things look like they're far away (from an optical point of view).

I'm short sighted and I couldn't see anything clear in the rift, I had to use my glasses.

And the screen in the rift is at a physical distance of the eye were I see crystal clear normally.

Hi sorry chaps, I probably didn't explain it very well, but I wasn't talking about being short sighted. What I was referring to was people with otherwise perfectly normal vision who don't have to wear glasses at all in general life, but as you get older, the lens in the eye is less flexible, so the muscles can't squash it as much and focus close up. Those are the people, like me, who can just buy reading glasses from the supermarket for a few quid. I think that was the case with the guy I was replying to.

If you are short sighted then without glasses you can focus on close objects, and as you say, the rift image would be out of focus as it is set at a more distant focus point.

You're quite right on the fact that the rift image doesn't actually have a true 3D space and gives an illusion using the convergence of the two images to give an effect similar to a 3D TV, because the eyes are converging on these different images it does indeed fool the brain. However, what it feels like when you are in the cockpit in the rift is entirely 3D, which I would suggest is more important.

My original point was to try to help people who don't normally wear glasses (except for reading) make an informed choice about buying a rift, as I agree that there are a lot of conflicting points of view on the matter.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

You guys with the Rift - curious are you using it's audio function ?

I assume one can still use either their own headphones/soundcard or speaker system as well?

Don B

My original point was to try to help people who don't normally wear glasses (except for reading) make an informed choice about buying a rift, as I agree that there are a lot of conflicting points of view on the matter.

Bottom line is: if you wear glasses IRL, you'll probably have to wear them in oculus as well... There is no way to be sure except to try it.

And as short sighted guy with vision around -5 dioptries, I guarantee you'll need glasses (tested).

On the bright side, there are custom lenses available to correct this.

Bottom line is: if you wear glasses IRL, you'll probably have to wear them in oculus as well... There is no way to be sure except to try it.

And as short sighted guy with vision around -5 dioptries, I guarantee you'll need glasses (tested).

On the bright side, there are custom lenses available to correct this.

It's important to understand that it is the type of lens normally used in your eye-glasses that will determine what you see.

For those wearing progressive lenses, it is a particularly interesting issue - which part of the lens are you viewing through and how does that pass on the virtual image you are viewing.

I have a pair of distant-only lenses for riding my motorcycle. A pair of reading-glasses for reading. A pair of glasses prescribed for exactly 30 inches to read my computer monitor. And last but not least - a pair of glasses that have progressive lenses for every-day viewing.

Which ones will work for the virtual focal point is what I will be researching. I suspect that I will work with my optometrist to determine where the virtual focal length should be that gives me a view of the instruments and also distance. An interesting technical issue.

ps. I read somewhere that lenses can be ground for the Rift that fit into the Rift so you don't have to wear glasses at all. I will also look at this.

You guys with the Rift - curious are you using it's audio function ?

I assume one can still use either their own headphones/soundcard or speaker system as well?

I was pleasantly surprised by the rift audio quality, can't really tell much difference between my Sennheiser s. saves having 2 headsets on at the same time:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was pleasantly surprised by the rift audio quality, can't really tell much difference between my Sennheiser s. saves having 2 headsets on at the same time:)

Ok thanks good to know - Senheiser is what I have as well for headset.

Don B