Oculus Rift immersion is incredible.

Rotorhead11

Regarding the rift headphones, the quality is certainly good, but for me the fact that they are built in (one less cable) and small, and the way they are integrated into the whole headset is a big plus for functionality. You flip them out like dog's ears, put the headset on then position the earpieces in place. The whole thing is well thought out and streamlined.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the rift headphones, the quality is certainly good, but for me the fact that they are built in (one less cable) and small, and the way they are integrated into the whole headset is a big plus for functionality. You flip them out like dog's ears, put the headset on then position the earpieces in place. The whole thing is well thought out and streamlined.

Good to know thanks much for the info!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well, my USB card arrived today and I'm all set up with the rift. :D

dburne.........GET YOURSELF A RIFT NOW!!!

I've done real life flying in all sorts of stuff, I've got a PPL and used to have my own microlight and have a few hundred hours under my belt. Never have I come close to the feeling of actual flying on a PC until today in the rift. The only thing missing is the smell and the g force.

This has opened up a WHOLE new world for me, never would I have thought what I just experienced tonight was possible on a home computer. When I was in the RAF we had to go on a flight simulator to get an annual currency renewal for carrying out ground runs. At the end of the session if there was any time left the instructor would let us have a go at flying it. DCS with the rift is as good as those simulators with the Rift.

The Spitfire is awesome!!! You get the feeling of how cramped the cockpit really is, you can control the aircraft MUCH better and you can actually feel it. It's an incredible experience that no words could describe or do it justice. You simply have to try it.

I could read the gauges no problem at all, in fact much easier than on my 32" flat screen tv as it's all in 3d. The only trouble I had was reading some of the writing under the switches etc., a minor inconvenience.

For anyone out there on the fence with this my advice is to jump off right now and get yourself a rift. It really is an incredible eye opening experience.

I can not imagine DCS now without the Rift. ED have done an amazing job with this, simply genius!!! Those guy's really rock. What an experience!!!

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Oh yes I am going to, here very shortly.

The Spitfire is awesome!!! You get the feeling of how cramped the cockpit really is, you can control the aircraft MUCH better and you can actually feel it. It's an incredible experience that no words could describe or do it justice. You simply have to try it.

As that is currently my second favorite module, I am really looking forward to flying it with the Rift. Maybe it will even help my rough landings LOL.

I could read the gauges no problem at all, in fact much easier than on my 32" flat screen tv as it's all in 3d.

That is great to know, I was wondering about that and thought I had read that might be a problem. I currently play on a 28" 1080P monitor.

For anyone out there on the fence with this my advice is to jump off right now and get yourself a rift. It really is an incredible experience.

I expect to place my order here by the weekend. After all I have read the last few days, really looking forward to it.

Thanks so much for the feedback on your experience with the new Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Pretty exciting... I really want to try VR... But I am making myself wait for the next iteration...or something better.

And I want to see what the new Lenovo will do with its lighter headset, 1440 x 1440 OLED Panels and half the price... Maybe they will work it all out and it will be the one. Then there is the head tracking - inside out 6DOF, no camera necessary. And its going to work on a windows holographic platform?...so who knows how this will all work out? Certainly interesting though.

So much on the Lenovo is unknown at this point. I mean they have not even demoed a working model yet! But its supposed to come out this year which probably means two...:music_whistling:

So there is a whole new gen of headsets coming from Microsoft partners...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13421726/microsoft-windows-10-vr-headset-big-questions

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Thanks so much for the feedback on your experience with the new Rift.

You're very welcome buddy. I really don't think you will have an issue with it (I read your other post) and yes it will help your landings :D

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

You're very welcome buddy. I really don't think you will have an issue with it (I read your other post) and yes it will help your landings :D

Great thanks!

Don B

For me it's a close battle between the Huey, Spitfire and Gazelle as to which is my favourite experience in the rift. There's something I'd describe as a three-dimensionality about he whole experience that you just don't get with a screen. Even triples or track IR don't compare to the way you can look over your shoulder from the cockpit by actually looking over your shoulder or the way you look up to see above your head. I know there are no G-forces involved, but it fools your brain sometimes where you could swear you did feel something through the seat of your pants. I think it brings something out of the subtlety and sophistication of the DCS flight model that is a cut above any other sim I've tried, especially in helicopters.

To give an example, my son in law used to fly Lynx helicopters in the Army. Now he's never played a videogame or PC flight sim in his life, and I don't know about you guys, but it took me a long time to get the hang of flying the Huey. I put him in the DCS Huey with the rift on his head, and he just flew it. First time, no crashing or wobbling, he just flew it and had it doing all sorts of manoeuvres, saying yes that feels right, that would happen etc. Then he landed it, softly, first time.

At that moment, DCS raised itself above the other sims for me. Thinking about how much time I've spent teaching myself to fly in various sims, how many crashes I've had and that he could just do it first time with no prior knowledge other than his real world experience. All credit to the devs for making something this accurate.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Welcome to the club Rotorhead but whats an autopilot? :)

Dburne - do it, just do it :)

The "guy" in the seat to your left, that flys the Huey when you ask him, because you need to focus on something else. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

For me it's a close battle between the Huey, Spitfire and Gazelle as to which is my favourite experience in the rift. There's something I'd describe as a three-dimensionality about he whole experience that you just don't get with a screen. Even triples or track IR don't compare to the way you can look over your shoulder from the cockpit by actually looking over your shoulder or the way you look up to see above your head. I know there are no G-forces involved, but it fools your brain sometimes where you could swear you did feel something through the seat of your pants. I think it brings something out of the subtlety and sophistication of the DCS flight model that is a cut above any other sim I've tried, especially in helicopters.

To give an example, my son in law used to fly Lynx helicopters in the Army. Now he's never played a videogame or PC flight sim in his life, and I don't know about you guys, but it took me a long time to get the hang of flying the Huey. I put him in the DCS Huey with the rift on his head, and he just flew it. First time, no crashing or wobbling, he just flew it and had it doing all sorts of manoeuvres, saying yes that feels right, that would happen etc. Then he landed it, softly, first time.

At that moment, DCS raised itself above the other sims for me. Thinking about how much time I've spent teaching myself to fly in various sims, how many crashes I've had and that he could just do it first time with no prior knowledge other than his real world experience. All credit to the devs for making something this accurate.

I fly helicopters too. A lot of people are saying the Gazelle is the hardest to fly in DCS, I've a few hours on type and flew it with no problem first time out. It behaves exactly as it should. While I haven't flown a Huey, I've time on similar size helicopters and again, after adjusting joystick deadzones, it is a breeze to fly. The Mi8 on the other hand, which most people rave about, I'm having a night mare. I haven't flown anything so big before and the inertia I think is catching me out. I spent some time on it today and I'm starting to anticipate it more, but my take offs are dreadful. I wouldn't get in it if I was flying :doh:

That's really cool, like I say, testament to what ED have made here, very impressive. For somebody like me that has no prior experience of real helicopters, the Huey and Gazelle took a bit of effort, but I absolutely love them now, they feel like you can control them with your mind. I still need more practice, but that's called getting my money's worth out of the game.

That's really cool, like I say, testament to what ED have made here, very impressive. For somebody like me that has no prior experience of real helicopters, the Huey and Gazelle took a bit of effort, but I absolutely love them now, they feel like you can control them with your mind. I still need more practice, but that's called getting my money's worth out of the game.

You've nailed what flying a helicopter is. You don't fly it per se, you think it. You think where you want it and your body and mind complies. :thumbup:

I've done real life flying in all sorts of stuff, I've got a PPL and used to have my own microlight and have a few hundred hours under my belt. Never have I come close to the feeling of actual flying on a PC until today in the rift. The only thing missing is the smell and the g force.

This has opened up a WHOLE new world for me, never would I have thought what I just experienced tonight was possible on a home computer. When I was in the RAF we had to go on a flight simulator to get an annual currency renewal for carrying out ground runs. At the end of the session if there was any time left the instructor would let us have a go at flying it. DCS with the rift is as good as those simulators with the Rift.

I could read the gauges no problem at all, in fact much easier than on my 32" flat screen tv as it's all in 3d. The only trouble I had was reading some of the writing under the switches etc., a minor inconvenience.

For anyone out there on the fence with this my advice is to jump off right now and get yourself a rift. It really is an incredible eye opening experience.

I can not imagine DCS now without the Rift. ED have done an amazing job with this, simply genius!!! Those guy's really rock. What an experience!!!

Hey mate, my favourite thing is opening the canopy, dropping the door and leaning out to land the spit:thumbup: Its awesome

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My dad has 400 carrier landings in A3s, A4s, A7s and F4s and he has tried out my flight simulators but was never really taken with them. He didn't like having no seat of the pants feel. He liked my racing simulators better.

And then I got the rift. I put him in the F15 and he flew a low level over Vegas. His quote: "That is a pure kick in the @ss!"

A lot of Rift love here, but just wanted to chime in as a very happy Vive user. Not that it matters, since we're just talking the VR experience in general.

Man, I thought I was addicted to my TrackIR and now this. VR ruins you for ever playing anything on a flat screen again. :) Time and time again I'll just be flying around in the A-10C(my fav ride) and sort of pinch myself. My situational awareness has gone up a huge amount. Physically looking over my shoulder or keeping eye contact on ground units(especially with the funky zoom that does help) is so much better/easier than on a monitor with TIR.

The presence and immersion is just so much more valuable than crystal clear image. Oddly, I feel like it is much easier to see ground units in VR than it was even on my 42" TV monitor. Whipping through valleys and canyons is a whole other level of awesomeness in VR.

With all the other things the Vive does, I don't regret for a second being an early adopter. I've already resigned myself to purchase whatever the next version may be. This has been my dream of gaming ever since I first fired up Sub Logic's Flight Simulator on my Apple IIe. (VR)Gamer4Life!

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

I run the oculus rift ready tool and my CPU is not acceptable. I have an intel i7 3970x.

Does anyone run the oculus rift with a similar CPU. Any issues?

Take a look at my spec. Ive got an i7-3960. The checker program says my cpu isnt up to scratch either but it works fine. Im going to get a new rig probably next year but for now it works fine and im happy. Getting around 25-30 fps over built up areas.

A lot of Rift love here, but just wanted to chime in as a very happy Vive user. Not that it matters, since we're just talking the VR experience in general.

Man, I thought I was addicted to my TrackIR and now this. VR ruins you for ever playing anything on a flat screen again. :) Time and time again I'll just be flying around in the A-10C(my fav ride) and sort of pinch myself. My situational awareness has gone up a huge amount. Physically looking over my shoulder or keeping eye contact on ground units(especially with the funky zoom that does help) is so much better/easier than on a monitor with TIR.

The presence and immersion is just so much more valuable than crystal clear image. Oddly, I feel like it is much easier to see ground units in VR than it was even on my 42" TV monitor. Whipping through valleys and canyons is a whole other level of awesomeness in VR.

With all the other things the Vive does, I don't regret for a second being an early adopter. I've already resigned myself to purchase whatever the next version may be. This has been my dream of gaming ever since I first fired up Sub Logic's Flight Simulator on my Apple IIe. (VR)Gamer4Life!

Except that heavy ass cable on the Vive! :D

But yeah, I have to thank Palmer Lucky. He did kickstart (no pun intended) the whole genre as viable. And we are reaping the benefits. I too will line up for the next HMD the minute it goes on pre-sale. By then, I will have had DK1, DK2, Vive, CV1 and whatever ships next! LOL>

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hands up all those who have reached out to grab the "joystick" before realising it wasn't actually a real one.... :doh:

or leant down so as not to hit your head on the sight...

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

That's the next jump. Haptic feedback gloves to interact with the cockpit. But yeah, I've done that. Or tried to grab the cockpit to check six. Or lifted my legs (involuntarily) before crashing. Yelled out SAM SAM SAM w/o realizing it.

None of it possible w/o VR!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hands up all those who have reached out to grab the "joystick" before realising it wasn't actually a real one.... :doh:

Have you done the thing where you put up your hand to shield the sun coming into your eyes and wondered why the VR hand didn't move? :music_whistling:

Since I fly the A-10C the most, I have my Warthog setup with the MonsterTech desk mounts in almost exactly the same position as the virtual cockpit. It's a little crazy how the brain just accepts this and the joystick and throttle are right there when I got to grab for them. :D

Except that heavy ass cable on the Vive! :D

I actually got the newer 3-in-1 replacement cable that is a lighter/thinner cord. It's still a tether but it's much better than the original.

CqRGza4VYAAOl6I.jpg

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive