Oculus Rift immersion is incredible.

Rotorhead11

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you guys ejected yet? Wow, that was really a trip. My heart dropped to my stomach as I looked down from 20 thousand feet with nothing around me.

Stop it, please, not that I would want to eject from a heli but I get the point. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

No I've never done that, I don't know what you are on about :book:

I might well be getting my VR games mixed up in my head, as I guess the sun in DCS is not that strong, but in quite a few games - project CARS, Aerofly FS2, as the sun comes round at a certain angle it blinds you and I found myself holding up my hand the first time to shade my eyes. I also looked at my watch and wondered why the VR hands didn't move. Don't do it so much now that I've grown used to it, but it was pretty weird at first.

It's probably something to do with having a brain that is easily fooled :doh:

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I keep nudging Joe my new virtual friend in the co-pilot seat of the huey, he always ignores medoh.gif

+1000

LOL:megalol:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Have you guys ejected yet? Wow, that was really a trip. My heart dropped to my stomach as I looked down from 20 thousand feet with nothing around me.

You should give Richie's Plank Experience a try. It's a Vive game but I think it works with the Rift through SteamVR. Gave me so much bad vertigo the first time I couldn't even force myself to step out of the elevator and onto the plank extending out the side of a tall skyscraper. The first time I "jumped" off the plank and started plummeting to the ground, gave me that same stomach drop feeling too.

Corsair Graphite 780T / ASUS Maximus VIII Hero / i7-6700K@4.5GHz / Corsair H110i / 32GB DDR4 PC-2666 / ASUS 1080 Strix / EVGA 850 Pro / Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD / Win10x64 / Samsung UN48JU7500 4k / Logitech G910/933 KB/Headphones / Razer Naga Epic Mouse / MFG Crosswinds / TM HOTAS Warthog / HTC Vive

I'm pretty confident that anyone who flies IRL will confirm that VR, even in it's current form, gives a vastly more realistic experience than a 2D setup can give you. Now, if 'winning' is of paramount importance to you, then the resolution is certainly an issue. It isn't as bad as some would have you believe though.

I am not a fighter or attack helicopter pilot IRL, but I do fly for a living (business aircraft) and IMHO the Rift is the closest you can get to the experience of real flying short of a professional grade simulator or actually flying a real aircraft. In some ways the Rift even beats the Level D simulator I train in every 6 months. I got my Rift back in April and it still amazes me every time I use it.

I have been intrigued by Rotorhead11 statement and after a little research a rift is coexisting with me!!

No words that I can utter or pictures that I can post can give it justice. I now understand and agree with all statements of excitement in this thread!!

+1 for Rift is amazing immersion.

I really want Leap Motion support like FlyInside provides for flipping switches etc. in P3D and FSX!

I love the Rift for some other things as well, and touch is awesome, but sims are where it's basically perfect!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

I have been intrigued by Rotorhead11 statement and after a little research a rift is coexisting with me!!

No words that I can utter or pictures that I can post can give it justice. I now understand and agree with all statements of excitement in this thread!!

:thumbup:

Congrats - I hope to be joining you guys in a matter of days!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Dear Rotorhead,

Since you are a real Gazelle pilot, may I ask you about the overtorque alarm? In the DCS it only lights up and I often miss it and damage the helicopter. I was wondering whether the real chopper has also an audible warning.

Dear Rotorhead,

Since you are a real Gazelle pilot, may I ask you about the overtorque alarm? In the DCS it only lights up and I often miss it and damage the helicopter. I was wondering whether the real chopper has also an audible warning.

I just gotta say one of the things I love about this community is that we have members like Rotorhead and others that are the real deal and can be reached out to and asked such questions, regardless if the question ends up being one they can address. The fact they in a sense are a community resource is really cool.

My cousin is/was a Maj in the USAF, a fighter pilot. One of the best when active. In fact so good he was sent onto even higher things. He was one of the 23 that graduated U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School class of 2011. Earning a Master of Science in Flight Test Engineering degree. Since then he has gone onto NASA and is in Astronaut Training program. He is back in my area right now and I am trying to hook up to see if he might do an AMA or something as I know he has probably had his butt in more various types of aircraft than the avg pilot or even fighter pilot considering his access.

He made all the choices I wish I had made when we both were just starting out in life. :(

How do you guys deal with not being able to see your keyboard for things such as selecting radio messages?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

How do you guys deal with not being able to see your keyboard for things such as selecting radio messages?

I think there are voice commands that you can use.

Otherwise (as I did), I go "the tactile way", which is recognizing the keyboard by it's shape. It's fine for function keys, arrows and keypad.

what you mean selecting Radio messages?? if you mean the Radio menu activated by (\) on the keyboard then the answer is that since the last update you can use your mouse to select any option on the radio menu. the only thing you have to do is bind the ( \) key to any button on your hotas.

what you mean selecting Radio messages?? if you mean the Radio menu activated by (\) on the keyboard then the answer is that since the last update you can use your mouse to select any option on the radio menu. the only thing you have to do is bind the ( \) key to any button on your hotas.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that change yet.

I'm eager to try out VR, but I'm still waiting for the next gen to come out.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that change yet.

I'm eager to try out VR, but I'm still waiting for the next gen to come out.

trust my words when i say you are missing on alot of fun . just doing Air refuling in the Rift and the feeling you get flying in formation is in my opinion worth it now.

i could never top off my tank in the F15 on 2D monitor , now refueling is my cup of tea.

trust my words when i say you are missing on alot of fun . just doing Air refuling in the Rift and the feeling you get flying in formation is in my opinion worth it now.

i could never top off my tank in the F15 on 2D monitor , now refueling is my cup of tea.

I'm sure I'm missing out, but I want to wait all the same. I had the chance to try a friends PS4 VR and even that was amazing, so I can already imagine the effect this must have on DCS.

It seems as though there are some 2nd generation models just around the corner. If I wait just a few more months I may either get something with a better resolution or take advantage of the lowered prices on the 1st gen headsets.

Keyboard on lap + nose gap

Same here except my keyboard is on a small table that fits around and over my pedals perfectly.

I tend not to type a lot when on a server now though.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.