TM Warhog Set Up Questions

Hi,

I am new to DCS. Until now I have mainly played Falcon BMS and configured my Thrustmaster Warthog using TM' script editor and by modifying an existing .key file.

It is my understanding that one option is to bind a key stroke to a button in the game. If I want to use layers - I, O, or D, M, U I will need to create a script. I will still need to define the axes for Stick, Throttle, and Rudders in the game. Is that correct?

There does not seem to be too many TM Warthog profiles out there. Does anyone know of one that uses one for the F-15C?

Thanks,

Blain

For the A10 module, it works out of the box. There is nothing else you have to do. For other modules, you have two choices. You can configure the buttons and axis in each game control setting. You don't have to bind the keystroke to a button. You can just go to the control setting and click on the button on the HOTAS.

Or you can use a pre-defined TARGET script. In this case, the configuration and binding is done by the TARGET script (outside of DCS). Check out these links:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1922187&postcount=1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2317300&postcount=1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2563187&postcount=1

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I hate having to make script or profile for each aircraft and much prefer to assign controls in game. A major problem here is that many warthog buttons are not recognised by DCS (3 position flaps etc.). I was long frustrated with all of it until I found a great workaround.

There is a limit to the number of buttons a device may have, but I configured the throttle only, leaving the stick to be recognised as the default Warthog stick.

This leaves many more buttons and HAT functions (which can easily be assigned as generic buttons) to cover 95% of the Warthog throttle functions.

You can then assign these buttons in game with greatly expanded functionality.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I hate having to make script or profile for each aircraft and much prefer to assign controls in game. A major problem here is that many warthog buttons are not recognised by DCS (3 position flaps etc.). I was long frustrated with all of it until I found a great workaround.

There is a limit to the number of buttons a device may have, but I configured the throttle only, leaving the stick to be recognised as the default Warthog stick.

This leaves many more buttons and HAT functions (which can easily be assigned as generic buttons) to cover 95% of the Warthog throttle functions.

You can then assign these buttons in game with greatly expanded functionality.

+1. Personally the only time I run the TARGET is to set the LED's status. Otherwise, all of the bindings can be done:

1. In-game. All of the basic stuff like axis, most of the stick configuration. Unfortunatelly the axis have to be checked and assigned when running a new module for the first time. Otherwise the default assginements are a mess, usually all devices are duplicated and assigned to all of the axis. For some reason DCS doesn't bring a default, clear setup for one of if not the the most popular hotas. No need to touch anything for A-10C - it's the only one module for which warthog works perfectly out of the box.

2. Using .lua key files. More advanced but in reality an easy way to create actions for 2-way or 3-way throttle switches. Negative side is that first time it may seem a bit difficult. Also modifications have to be restored after DCS update (though it's usually not more than copy - paste the file). Posities are that once done for the first time, it's easy to apply the same method for other aircrafts, gives a lot of flexibility, it's much faster than playing with TARGET, there is no need to run additional middle-ware. Another important aspect is that this way all of the settings are in one place - in-game, which makes it easier to maintain. The procedure is described in a number of threads - sorry, I don't have time to look them up now. Any specific module and specific keys that you would like to map from throttle?

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I personally use TARGET for my other flight sims, but not for DCS. I find the control menu in DCS to be very good and I can accomplish all I want with it.

While yes you can not use layers, you can use the I/O modifier by assigning a button on the Warthog as a modifier within DCS. I personally use the paddle on the stick as a modifier button for all my DCS modules. Greatly expands the number of assignable buttons and I find using that for the stick and throttle, I have plenty available for my use without the need of having the extra switch buttons on the throttle available that TARGET or .lua modifying gives.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

B2Blain, that's the idea. I can't speak for the script you posted (never used it) but the idea is you configure everything in the TARGET script.

Grizzlies script (the last one I listed) is meant to be a generic script for the throttle so you can use 3 position switches easily.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

For the A10C you will have to assign Trim. The trim button on the WH defaults to views which I never have understood.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I personally use TARGET for my other flight sims, but not for DCS. I find the control menu in DCS to be very good and I can accomplish all I want with it.

While yes you can not use layers, you can use the I/O modifier by assigning a button on the Warthog as a modifier within DCS. I personally use the paddle on the stick as a modifier button for all my DCS modules. Greatly expands the number of assignable buttons and I find using that for the stick and throttle, I have plenty available for my use without the need of having the extra switch buttons on the throttle available that TARGET or .lua modifying gives.

I didn't know you could create shifted layers within the game. How do do that? Especially the designation of the button used to shift layers. I usually use the S3 button. With this sim if i could just created shifted layers that should be enough.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just double click on the function you want to configure.

You'll see the "Button" and "Modifier" fields. Just click on it and hit the button you want to map it too.

There is a search function so you can find the control that you want to configure. Just make sure you're clicking on the column that corresponds to the device.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Just double click on the function you want to configure.

You'll see the "Button" and "Modifier" fields. Just click on it and hit the button you want to map it too.

There is a search function so you can find the control that you want to configure. Just make sure you're clicking on the column that corresponds to the device.

I was able to figure that out. But I was wondering about creating layers within the game. I see fields for modifiers but not for different states - shifted and unshifted.

Not to mention how to designation a button as the button to beused to shift and unshift.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

So im having a small issue with my new Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, (by the way if any of you are on the fence about the Thrustmaster Hog, or who have buddies who're on the fence about buying that stick it's price point has been lowered and you can even buy the stick and throttle separately now! But http://www.newegg.com has it for $399.00 and every few weeks they've been offering a free set of the newest Thrustmaster rudder-pedals as well, (right now the pedals are on offer for the TM 16000 stick instead but they keep swapping it back and forth to the warthog) Anyways as you can see i love this stick to the point where i think everyone should be using one!... BUT....the issue im having below is becoming a bit maddening....

So On to my issue and original reason for posting here, so i've got the TARGET Software installed, i've gone to the profiles pages here in the user-files/downloads section, And so i Downloaded a profile for the F-15C and immediately fired up TARGET GUI to go TEST it,... it worked great,...

i then shut down DCS and go and download 5 more profiles one for each of the modules i fly the most being the UH-1H, SU-25T, SU-27, Mirage-2000C, And i think i also found one for the FW-190 which although i don't fly that thing nearly enough, i would of course like to now that i have a stick with excellent quality hall-sensors in it, instead of my old X-55's horrible Potentiometers (one of which died after only 2yrs of using the stick about 1or 2 weeks a month for the passed two years)

So i then restarted my PC as per the instructions from target software's instruction pdf.(least i think thats what it suggested when adding a profile) But anyways, i restart the software and go to my list of available profiles in the pulldown menu within the target-software, and ONLY THE ORIGINAL F-15C one is available! I open the file explorer in windows and ALL THE ONES I DOWNLOADED ARE IN THE PROPER SECTION, but they arent showing up as available profiles when i open the TARGET Software.....

Any ideas as to what i might be doing wrong here? or any idea as to what i can do to get these to work? (it's not impossible for me to learn how to make/edit profiles on TARGET, it's Just faster to download a profile and try it, if it's a layout i like i keep it.)

But anyways, i restart the software and go to my list of available profiles in the pulldown menu within the target-software, and ONLY THE ORIGINAL F-15C one is available! I open the file explorer in windows and ALL THE ONES I DOWNLOADED ARE IN THE PROPER SECTION, but they arent showing up as available profiles when i open the TARGET Software.....

)

Check the file extensions of the ones you downloaded that are not showing up, if they are .tmc files they were created with the TARGET script editor and would need to be opened from it.

.fcf files are created with the TARGET GUI editor and can be opened from it - which I am sure is what you are using.

The TARGET GUI will only show you profiles created with it - .fcf.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

ok so two were the file type u talked about and two were .LUA's so the .LUA's i now remember those hav to be manually moved to my DCS Joystick folder for that aircraft, but where do i find that in windows 10? (i recently upgraded from windows 7 and only know windows 7 and i've been told that it's different for windows 10)

ok so two were the file type u talked about and two were .LUA's so the .LUA's i now remember those hav to be manually moved to my DCS Joystick folder for that aircraft, but where do i find that in windows 10? (i recently upgraded from windows 7 and only know windows 7 and i've been told that it's different for windows 10)

:thumbup:

C:\\ Users\<your username>Saved Games\ DCS ( whatever version you are running)\config\input

Edit : the lua files are probably in a different folder, should be within there somewhere...

Don B

If they are lua files, they are *not* meant to be used with TARGET. In fact, LUA files are used for configuring joysticks so that you *don't* have to use TARGET.

You should check out Homefries or Polaris thread here. They have extensive TARGET scripts that you can use for the Warthog

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1922187&postcount=1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2317300&postcount=1

Edited by hansangb
added the link

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

There are many different .lua files, and without having complete file names there is no way of telling where they should go. But you might be talking about the files that define available commands for keyboard, joystick and throttle. Examples (for FW-190):

default.lua, Throttle - HOTAS Warthog.lua

These belong into the folder "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FW-190D9\Input\FW-190D9\joystick" if used with joystick or throttle.

The default.lua, if used with the keyboard, goes into "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FW-190D9\Input\FW-190D9\keyboard".

There is a tutorial about these files and their customization in the thread "How to set up toggle switches" https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862001&postcount=214

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5