** DCS: AJS-37 WIP Pre-Release Manual Released! **

Cobra847

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, the function check of the Master Mode Selector is not implemented.(yet) It's sometimes sad to see that function tests like this are left out in a super comprehensive in depth military jet simulation. It's part of the aircraft systems, isn't it?

Will we possibly see it implemented in the future? And what does it even do exactly?

Edit: or is it for maintenance only?

Function check is perhaps better translated as "self-test" and does exactly what that implies. Basically all systems on the aircraft plus most of the guided weapons have some kind of self-test functionality which you mainly access via that mode. A lot of it is mainly for use by ground crew during routine maintenance and modelling it would add a huge layer of complexity for basically no gameplay value at all - it's just busywork.

By the way, I really like it that some sections of the manual are basically direct translations of the corresponding sections of the real SFI :V

The English phrasing could use some improvements in places though - I noticed quite a few odd wordings in various places.

I think in some cases where the Swedish uses "indikator", a better English translation would be "display" - the radar screen is one example.

Edited by renhanxue

Nice so much to learn, can foresee multiple deaths while diving back into the pages to check procedure mid flight at low altitude.

any chance the manual will come in audio book format :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modules are like Pokemon you gotta catch 'em all :joystick::lol::pilotfly:

AMD Ryzen7 3700x, G-Skills 32Gb RAM @ 3200Mhz, MSI GTX1080Ti, TM Warthog (20cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind Pedals, Oculus Rift, Track Ir5

I think in some cases where the Swedish uses "indikator", a better English translation would be "display" - the radar screen is one example.

We chose to keep the Central Indicator terminology so that the abbreviation is still CI to avoid confusion for the switches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is great!

By the way Cobra/Jedi/swither/whoever, how are you going to handle inputting coordinates into the waypoint system in Nevada? I think on the real aircraft you can input the coordinates in any order (lat/long or long/lat) because the computer just cheerfully assumes you're somewhere in northern Europe east of Greenwhich, but this is not possible according to your manual and in fact you have to input them backwards. Thing is though, in Nevada the longitude is somewhere around 115° west of Greenwhich, but the data panel only has two digits for degrees. Are you just going to tell people to input longitude minus a hundred, or are you going to chop off one digit of precision?

We made some slight changes to the navigation system to accommodate the change of operational area. For example, the Stockholm area is at around 60°N, 18° E, while Batumi airport is 41° 36' N, 41 36'' E. which makes distinguishing longitude and latitude significantly more difficult on the current Caukasus map. So we added that the first digit of the latitude flashes. The flashing functionality is used for other programs in the computer, so it was the least intrusive change we could think of.

As for Nevada, we simply automated the system so that the first digit for longitude values greater than 100° west is omitted. It is not much of an issue as it was fairly simple system change. As for the procedures involved, it will be clarified in the relevant appendix when that is finished.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you! As a Swede I've dreamt of flying a DCS class Viggen since Strike Fighters 2, even though SF2 had some Swedish jets mods, these were not really at a sim level.

As a former type setter and graphic designer a friendly tip; for best legibility keep the lines no longer than 55-60 characters. Also, if you want help with the manual, I am fluent in any layout tool and would be happy to help.

PM me if you want my help.

Edited by ckount
Added PM-info
  • Like 1

Thank you! As a Swede I've dreamt of flying a DCS class Viggen since Strike Fighters 2, even though SF2 had some Swedish jets mods, these were not really at a sim level.

As a former type setter and graphic designer a friendly tip; for best legibility keep the lines no longer than 55-60 characters. Also, if you want help with the manual, I am fluent in any layout tool and would be happy to help.

As a current graphic designer I second this. Legibility suffers a bit the way it is now.

Thanks guys! :)

She's definitely way more complex than I thought.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As a current graphic designer I second this. Legibility suffers a bit the way it is now.

Thank you for input, really appreciate it. We are still working on the graphic design (amongst other things).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Page 216

The rocket pods also had spoiler rings to provide optimum dispersion, there could be removed if you wanted to use rockets against a ship for instance and needed a more bunched up hit pattern.

Page 224

I thought they only flew with 2 BK90's because you couldn't use the Drop tank and the BK90 on the center fuselage at the same time !

Page 223

Also where is the RB-75T ?

Page 218

ÖHKSAR=Ögonblickligt HögKänsligt SpetsAnslagsRör which translate to Instantaneous Highly Sensitive Noze Fuze.

Page 227/228

I did not know that you could fit the U/22 ECM pod under both wings in all the manuals it say that you have to use it on the right wing, the only aircraft that is the exception as far as i know is the SK37E which was used as an ECM aggressor.

But that aircraft was very non standard as it could also carry the U95 jammer and the backseater had advanced control panels for the Pods !

Edited by AdurianJ

Page 224

It says here that the U22 and U22/A pods only have an automatic mode.

Everywhere i've read including the manuals and the information by the Arboga Electronics Association (which are people who worked on ECM) say the pod had two modes.

One was deception Jamming which was initiated by the RWR Suite.

The other was active noise Jamming which was controlled by the pilot if he wanted it to be on or off. Spin up time for either mode was about 3 minutes !

Page 43:

The Viggen had two independent fire alarms for the Engine, i'm guessing this is why No:1 and No:2 are both engine bay warning lights.

Two systems where installed because the Viggen has no fire suppression system and in case of an engine fire the emergency procedure is to pull the ejector seat handles !