F-5E DACT - Tactics

I'm enjoying the F-5E and this campaign way too much. And while I can now beat the other F-5Es without issue, the dissimilar aircraft extend on me and the vul time runs out.

It seems I can 'sucker' them back in by momentarily turning away and getting them to re-engage, but I tend to go through the merge followed by a single turn and perhaps a fleeting snapshot. Each time they extend and we do it again. While I'm happy to be staying alive and apparently flying decent enough BFM to do so, and even forcing the bandits to extend, does anyone have any specific recommendations for the dissimilar aircraft?

Hi Bandit,

Pretty normal... Do not expect to shot down all of the adversaries. When I got to the Mirage, for instance, I had to try several times, got the first on a Head On pass and just ran away from the second.

If you finish with 12 to 14 kills, you're lucky!

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy

Thanks Sydy.

I suppose what I am actually looking for are successful tactics to employee at the merge to keep me offensive and work into the bandit's control zone. With the adversary F-5Es for instance, I have found that coming into the merge low and fast, or high and slow, then performing a well timed vertical reversal quickly puts me in a great position. If I don't do something stupid, I have them every time after that.

I haven't figured out the merge tactics to employee with the other aircraft, understanding of course that their high thrust to weight ratio alone will make things much more difficult. So, any tips?

I have found that going in slightly low forcing the opponent to dive and then executing a vertical turn over the top puts me in perfect position to get a snap guns kill. This is the only option against the M2K, the others before it can be out turned in any turn. I found flat scissors to be successful against F14 if you find them on your six. I've been busy and not been able to spend time on this campaign recently so that's as far as I've got. But I think in most cases you need to make the kill on the first turn or they will extend and you will time out.

Basically do what you are doing already lol! I didn't read your post properly!

Edited by Fionn

Also don't turn too hard or you will drain energy, if for example you are turning in pursuit and it looks like they are going to extend if you don't turn too hard put get lead pursuit on them you can minimise the separation and get a quick shot off before they are out of range, easier said than done mind lol

Not losing too much energy there is the main difficulty with the F-5, as the M2K will quickly disappear, I try to lure him close to the deck and slow down to make him overshoot, though usually I don't have enough time to get the nose up and catch him before he's gone. And if I'm faster he has no trouble placing himself in my six.

Perhaps trying the same with some buffer to the hard deck would help to regain energy more quickly.

The Mig-21 shouldn't be too easy either.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Agree, forcing the over shoot is not the problem, capitalising is! Try flat scissors instead, it's def more dangerous as he has the chance of snap shot but his turns will make him bleed more. But still my only M2K kills have come from going into the vertical on the merge

The MIG I find okay, easy out turn on the merge and then as long as I get a good angle he is dead, if I miss he extend and it's a draw lol, I have set up practice practice missions lol so I don't have to wait to call ready etc

Heh, my only kills with those M2K were "head shots" on the 1st merge. Definitely not a good habit (*) :D I'll have to try flat scissors, thanks for the tip!

(*) meaning, what was the last thing that went through his head before dying? me and my F-5...

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Lol, best advice (in that I get kill must times) is to aim to be about 1000ft low at 500 knots and then perform an immelmann at max 7g ish then cut power at the top and glide onto the target for the kill. The trick I have found is too be lower than the other guy because he will not go into the vertical at the same time or with the same energy, or so I have found.

If I was the other guy I would go vertical straight away as well but the AI doesn't and it's basically a guaranteed advantage in position. If you miss the shot then it's impossible to get the kill in my experience!

I've been plowing away at the practice missions, and getting a bit better with practice. Getting into low altitude scissors does indeed typically give me an advantage and usually garners a few snapshot opportunities before they extend beyond gun range...or, as happens quite a bit, they break the hard deck and the engagement is terminated.