X-56 Purchase consideration - software any good?

Hi there,

I am currently considering to buy a X-56 and had a look at the software. I liked the configurability of the X-52 I currently have, although I still use the old software (bevor Mad Catz got involved) because the newer one was pretty annoying. In order to see what I'll get I looked at the software and had some questions:

1. Is it possible to create additional shift states?

You have Mode 1 to 3 from default, but I usually had at least 6 States on the X-52, e.g. Mode 1; Mode 1 + pinkie; Mode 1 + clutch button; Mode 2... I did not find a possibility to create them, but perhaps there is?

2. Is it possible to map shift state buttons of the stick to the throttle and vice versa?

As mentioned under 1, I like to use different buttons for additional shift states. In the current X56 software the programming of stick and throttle is seperated, so I can't access stick buttons while accessing the throttle. This seems to affect the shift states aswell. When I switch the default "Mode 2" shift state to Mode 1 + Pinkie for the Stick, it is still "Mode 2" for the throttle, and I am not able to select the sticks pinkie as a modifier for a throttle mode.

3. Missing dual stage trigger and hardware in general:

Especially to the A10 Pilots (and F-5), do you miss the dual stage trigger if you happened to have one? I can't really imagine using another button for PAC-1 before firing the BRRRRT...

And how is the stick in general? Good haptics? How are the switches and toggles on the throttle base feeling? Do you fear of breaking the pinkie lever?

I bought it this cristmas

Hello, I bought this joy in cristmas, and I am very Happy. (I haven´t the money for the cougar)

The software is Highly progammable, I haven't tried the pinkie with the modes but I think it is possible, (no clue at this moment), the joy responds well and with the four springs it takes you can adapt it to your feelings, I remenber the x52 too much soflly.

The addition of two mini joys (one on the throtle and another on the stick) is a great idea.

I have at the moment no money to spent in rudders, so you can configure the rudder on the stick or use one of this mini joys with high accuracy (at least for me).

I use to fly the helicopters and It adapts very well to my demands.

In the other hand, there isn´t many profiles for this , and I am not able to convert the ones of the x-55, so if you made profiles, please, please send me alls :megalol:

I hope It heps you to decide your buy.

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Hi firefox,

thanks for the reply and for giving me the pros and cons you found.

I havn't had the chance to get my hands on the stick so that helps a little. The real deal(breaker) for me however realy comes down to the programability. Having the ability to put 4 commands on one button (without switching the mode!) is just something I can't live without anymore. It just has a better flow for me to e.g. lock a target with the C button and unlock it with pinky + c. My trusty ol X-52 is almost 10 years old and needs more maintenance from time to time. And yes, it is the worst in case of spring tension. But if saitek really took this step back from features they already had, in software they (at least partly) reused, then I don't want to support this.

The point, that not many (none? ^^) profiles are available is not really an issue for me, as I like to make my own profiles anyways. Should I come to the conclusion to buy the stick, I'll happily send you all profiles I make. But don't forget: "you have to THINK in russian" :-P

I'll investigate more... I think It is possible, I'll search more deeper.

Perhaps you can Downolad the mad catz sofware from saitek's page and try to use it....

Don´t know if it works without the joys...

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

No - I use DCS to make my X-56 profiles because I didn't like not using a 'pinky' or shift switch for it in the HUD (nee SST) software.

You can't use shift buttons like you could with the old SST for X-52, so better off using the sim profiling and assigning modifiers.

Why they thought it was a good idea to have to take your hand off the HOTAS to switch modes is a mystery.

*Edit: although you can assign extra modes - maybe that would be the equivelant of the old shift mode, but it didn't appeal to me.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

This is, indeed useful, but you can do this entirely within DCS, right?

I actually have not thought about this. I'd still like it to be like it was with the X-52, because I think the profile editing (although the software is not exactly a joy to use) is a quite comfortable way to set everything up and have it in one place. Yet when I think about it, there would be no more profile switching and the controls can be saved easily aswell... Thanks Nick, gives me something to think about!

I'll investigate more... I think It is possible, I'll search more deeper.

Perhaps you can Downolad the mad catz sofware from saitek's page and try to use it....

Don´t know if it works without the joys...

Guess I'd have to try an older software, although the one I already tried (which already supports the X-56) is not possible to be configured without having the stick plugged in. -I really dislike the fact that mad catz bought saitek, everything went haywire after that. X-52 production line faulty and software declining in quality iteration over iteration. At least it seems so to me...-

No - I use DCS to make my X-56 profiles because I didn't like not using a 'pinky' or shift switch for it in the HUD (nee SST) software.

You can't use shift buttons like you could with the old SST for X-52, so better off using the sim profiling and assigning modifiers.

Why they thought it was a good idea to have to take your hand off the HOTAS to switch modes is a mystery.

*Edit: although you can assign extra modes - maybe that would be the equivelant of the old shift mode, but it didn't appeal to me.

Thanks for confirming this! I hoped the older SST would still be able to pull this off, but as already said above, the version I tried didn't let me configure a Stick not plugged in... BS... ^^

Froogle did a video on the HUD software - but I don't think he mentions shift states.

I will say that I have had my X-56 for a couple of weeks, having sold my Warthog and then tried the CH Pro throttle and Fighterstick (already had X52 and G940 in previous years), and am very happy with it.

The two things that bug me are a slight notchiness in the stick movement caused by the ball pivot - which I have learned to live with, but still notice it - and how incredibly stiff the throttle is, even at its lightest setting.

I have just fixed the latter problem - last night, in fact. So if you do get the X-56 and the stiff throttle is a problem for you, give me a shout and I'll explain how I made it comfortable to use (can't move it with one finger, but can with two).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The instructions and pictures are shown in this reddit post:

https://m.reddit.com/r/hotas/comment.../?compact=true

At the bottom of his review he tells you what to do. I found it then a bit too loose, so I cleaned off the gunky grease - you can do it with IPA and rag, but it takes a long time, so I ended up using cellulose thinner.

This makes the grease residue turn white, but it does a quick job of clearing it off. Make sure you clear the inside of the part as well.

I then put on a thick layer of lithium grease on all sides of the part and resintsalled it, then tightened up the tension to maximum. That is pretty much perfect for me.

Be careful putting the centre screw back in - it screws into the tensioning cog and so at some point it will just spin. Hold the cog whilst tightening further.

It's quite an easy job - just very sticky!

Kneeboard Guides