Anybody Explain to me SAU Pitch Mode & Stab Mode?

Weegie

So I understand the Directional, Recovery and Automatic modes in the SAU

I'm guessing from the manual that SAU Stability mode is a damping function to lessen workload especially during landing or when at low speeds in general.

However welcome any input of there is more to know

The pitch mode has me foxed, I engaged it and yet I could still climb or dive at will and it did not seem to do anything

Does it have to be engaged with another mode and what does it actually do?

Anybody help? I know there will be many who know

Pitch mode?

Do you mean Low-Altitude mode? If so, that's a combination of having that mode on and also using the rotary for minimum altitude (hidden infront of the stick, to the left of the warning panel).

Stability mode is simply a damping mode when pitch/bank < 10, but it will do bank hold if > 10 degree of bank.

The pitch mode has me foxed, I engaged it and yet I could still climb or dive at will and it did not seem to do anything

Does it have to be engaged with another mode and what does it actually do?

Anybody help? I know there will be many who know

To engage (i assume you mean Attitude autopilot, Hold Pitch) Engage SAU stabilization and then engage the pitch hold mode.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

First thanks all who replied, I'm hoping to make some short videos, not to show my piloting skills (I haven't got any)...................but to help anybody new to the Fishbed.

This has been a bit of a long road as pieces of the manual, Chuck's Guide and some of the You Tube videos are just plain wrong now due to modifications to the module.

I'm loving it though and very much appreciate the assistance I receive to my, sometimes obvious, questions

To engage (i assume you mean Attitude autopilot, Hold Pitch) Engage SAU stabilization and then engage the pitch hold mode.

That's the one Sir!!!

So is it modeled? I thought it would be because its got a key command for it and its (BRIEFLY) mentioned in the manual.

But being the Dumbass I am I do not know for sure, however armed with that little teaser of info I'll take the MiG up and play around with the buttons

Off Topic

Using your Czech skin BadHabit, it's my firm fave scheme by a long way

Edited by Weegie
Correction

So now its getting more complicated by the moment!!

Fishbed%20SAU_zpsh8d62een.png

From the picture above there are 2 modes that now intrigue me.

Thanks grunf I missed Attitude Hold. There is also Pitch On/Off second from bottom

So now the questions are what does Pitch On/Off do & what does Attitude Hold do and how do they differ?

My understanding is, more or less, for practical use in an Autopilot, they are 2 sides of the same coin :helpsmilie:

Or have I totally failed, yet again, to grasp the concepts :doh:

Pitch on/off doesn't do anything. It flips the pitch switch on the right panel, but in DCS it has no function. In real aircraft, it disconnects the pitch stabilization, leaving only the roll stabilization active.

Attitude hold does exactly what the name implies, holds your attitude :D. If the bank angle is less than 6 deg (IIRC), it will level the plane (bank only, not pitch). If I understand it correctly, in real plane with stabilization mode engaged, it will hold the attitude when the pilot removes the pressure from the stick. This is simulated with the "J" key in DCS.

• Like 1

That's the one Sir!!!

So is it modeled? I thought it would be because its got a key command for it and its (BRIEFLY) mentioned in the manual.

If it helps, here is how I use SAU on my x52 thump hat switch

attachment.php?attachmentid=154749&d=1483635832

Off Topic

Using your Czech skin BadHabit, it's my firm fave scheme by a long way

Glad you enjoy it!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Off Topic BadHabit I know but while your skulking around here how did you get these amazing screenshots on the MiG-21 Screenshots thread?

I'm using one as wallpaper and I'd love to use the others but some were at a lower res as I remember

Thanks for the settings I now have something similar but I use "recovery" & "cancel current mode" sequenced on my stick and the other modes slaved to a switch on my Hawg throttle

Once again thanks to everybody it's really appreciated you guys taking the time to help a "rookie"

Hey thanks!

Coxy had a guide and if you have win10 you can edit the shot you like and enhance it, or use photoshop or similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

If I understand it correctly, in real plane with stabilization mode engaged, it will hold the attitude when the pilot removes the pressure from the stick. This is simulated with the "J" key in DCS.

Why do we have to press "J"? Can't this behaviour be simulated properly as it is in the real thing?

Mancher zum Meister sich erklärt, dem nie das Handwerk ward gelehrt!