Laser

bob_baer

Does anyone know why it's recommended to lase not earlier than 8 - 9 seconds before impact? I would lase from the beginning. Doesn't it improve accuracy guiding the bomb from the beginning?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

the bomb overcorrects as it falls, and the amount of correction it does is a function of it's distance from the target. if you lase too early it can overcorrect and lose the laserspot, at which point it will fall ballistically and miss.

this may not actually happen in the game, but many sim recommendations don't really pan out in sims.

I thought 12 seconds before impact is recommended. I believe the reason is when a bomb is dropped its hurling forward at high rate of speed and can't be controlled very well. 12 seconds before impact it should be coming down close to vertical and easier to guide.

Somewhere between 8 to 12 seconds before impact, depending on your release altitude above ground level, is the optimal time to use the laser.

Your bomb will miss short of the target if you lase too early. Before you use the laser, a GBU-12 or GBU-10 falls in a ballistic trajectory (approximately a parabola). Once you fire the laser and the sensor acquires it, the guidance system tries to fly straight towards the laser spot and doesn't attempt to account for its speed or altitude. When you lase too early, the bomb bleeds off all of its energy early in its flight, begins losing altitude, and then has to pull up as it nears the ground, and often it doesn't have enough energy to maneuver at that point.

I'll see if I can demonstrate this in Tacview. I see this question come up periodically in the forums.

Does anyone know why it's recommended to lase not earlier than 8 - 9 seconds before impact? I would lase from the beginning. Doesn't it improve accuracy guiding the bomb from the beginning?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

RL, AFAIK, the paveway I and II only have max deflection, so if you lase to early, the bomb can stall and not reach the target. Paveway III (like the GBU-24/27) the actually should benefit from a longer laser time. Also, the pod has limits on laser time. Each pod is different.

In DCS, I do not know.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I've never found there to be a problem lasing for as long as I want in DCS. You can watch the bomb fall, it absolutely will not track the laser sooner than 15 seconds from impact, every time, no matter what. Dropping from too low is certainly a problem.

Edited by Deezle

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I read just recently in "Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War" that the very first LGBs dropped by F-15Es used to fall short if they lased too early. At the time, the TGP's integration was basically in an experimental state and crews had not trained to use LGBs before they went to war.

Later LGBs apparently didn't suffer from this problem. This was still '91, just later in the war.

I'm beginning to suspect that the advice to only lase during the last 10 to 15 seconds in DCS is based on heavily outdated information.

In any case, most players who responded on this topic said that their LGBs never miss if they lase right after pickle, even if they drop from high altitude (at medium to low altitudes, the seeker wouldn't pick up the spot early enough to change the flight path enough for a ballistic miss anyway).

My personal SOP is still to lase during the last 10 to 12 seconds before impact; among other reasons, this limits the time of illumination and might help to prevent buddy lasing problems if several aircraft use the same laser code while dropping in the same area at close intervals. My hit percentage is near perfect with this setting.

I read just recently in "Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War" that the very first LGBs dropped by F-15Es used to fall short if they lased too early. At the time, the TGP's integration was basically in an experimental state and crews had not trained to use LGBs before they went to war.

Later LGBs apparently didn't suffer from this problem. This was still '91, just later in the war.

I'm beginning to suspect that the advice to only lase during the last 10 to 15 seconds in DCS is based on heavily outdated information.

In any case, most players who responded on this topic said that their LGBs never miss if they lase right after pickle, even if they drop from high altitude (at medium to low altitudes, the seeker wouldn't pick up the spot early enough to change the flight path enough for a ballistic miss anyway).

My personal SOP is still to lase during the last 10 to 12 seconds before impact; among other reasons, this limits the time of illumination and might help to prevent buddy lasing problems if several aircraft use the same laser code while dropping in the same area at close intervals. My hit percentage is near perfect with this setting.

just a theory but for the A-10 it probably matters less than other platforms.

the reasoning for this is that A-10 releases closer than all the other PWII carrying jets. the reason for that is because the A-10 is slower and tends to release at a lower altitude (IE, has less slant range to the target)

since the seekerhead tends to correct more violently the further it is away, it might actually be possible to cause misses if you are in another jet and going fast.

in A-10c though you're right and you will never miss even if you start lasing the moment the bomb departs the airframe.

• 2 weeks later...

Or may be lasetime is to decrease the respond time of the target, to lower the chance of survive.

First 2sec... Target recognize the laser

4sec... thinking... **** we get lased, a bomb is on its way!

6sec... "Hey bro we get lased a bomb is on its way!"

8sec... What??? "Run!!!"

10sec... Splash!