Dynamic Nose and Tail Number system

Zeus67

Folks,

Today we have enabled the dynamic tail and fuselage numbering system. This allows you to put your own aircraft numbers as opposed to the fixed ones we've been using to this date.

It works as follows:

In the Mission Editor in the Tail # field you input a SIX character alphanumeric value: CCCNNN

The red letter and numbers are the ones actually used in the numbering system. But you must input all 6 characters or the numbering system won't work.

In the French Air Force (AdA) the numbering system works like this:

Nose Side

It has the following format: NNN-CC

BA103_cambrai_146.jpg

The three numbers indicate the code for the air base where the squadron is stationed. In the photo, the 103 indicate the airbase located at Cambrai: BA103 Cambrai. If the squadron is located at BA115 Orange-Caritat then the number would be 115.

The first letter is the code for the squadron: Y = Cambresis (photo), L = ile-de-france, etc.

The second letter is the aircraft number in the squadron: A = 1, B = 2, to Z = 24.

So for the photo example, the 103-YK indicates that the aircraft is based on Cambrai, that it belongs to the Cambresis squadron and that it is the 11th aircraft in the squadron.

For our purposes the airbase code number and the squadron letter code must be included in the aircraft texture and cannot be modified by the pilot. So if you want a texture of the Cambresis Squadron at Cambrai, it must include in the texture the 103-Y code.

Conversely, if you want an aircraft based on Orange-Caritat and that belongs to the ile-de-france squadron then the texture must include the 115-L code.

Tail and Nose Landing Gear Door

It has the NNN format and it is the actual aircraft serial tail number. For simplification purposes all three numbers will be shown in the Nose Landing Gear door, although some squadrons only use the last two.

Note: This is the current numbering system used by the AdA, there is an older system which is similar but still requires that you include all six characters.

Non French Air Force aircrafts

For better results you need to include all six characters although most of the countries only use the three digit tail number. But some do use some sort of letter based code.

Suggestion

My advice is to enter the Tail # value by repeating three times the code letter and then entering the three digit tail number. For the aircraft in the photo that would be KKK000 (000 would be the tail number you want).

So you can have a three aircraft CAP with the following tail numbers for the Cambresis squadron at Cambrai (103-Y):

KKK113, which will show 103-YK in the nose and 113 in the tail.

CCC214, which will show 103-YC in the nose and 214 in the tail.

HHH025, which will show 103-YH in the nose and 025 in the tail.

Edited by Zeus67

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Nice job, Zeus :thumbup:

"You want me to fly in the back of a tiny little jet with a crazy fighter pilot who thinks he´s invincible,

home in on a SAM site in North Vietnam and shoot it before it shoots me?

You´ve gotta be shittin´me!"

Captain Jack Donovan

I'm a little confused without an example of how the 6-digit bort number would be input in the ME. The user cannot change the squadron number code or the airbase letter code, thus we can only edit the single letter code that indicates aircraft number, correct?

So, in the format C-C-C-N-N-N, which of those digits is said letter code, and what should we set the remaining 5 digits to?

Actually, the "airbase code" is being abandonned to return back to the old system of wings number.

So your 115-xx aircraft is (or will soon) be re-coded 5-xx (Orange airbase homes the FAF 5th fighter wing).

Will we be able to use less than 3 caracters ?

5-xx or 33-xx are realistic registrations. 005-xx or 033-xx are not.

I'm glad to see you implement this system, it'll bring a nice variety :) kudos :)

spacer.png

I'm a little confused without an example of how the 6-digit bort number would be input in the ME. The user cannot change the squadron number code or the airbase letter code, thus we can only edit the single letter code that indicates aircraft number, correct?

So, in the format C-C-C-N-N-N, which of those digits is said letter code, and what should we set the remaining 5 digits to?

For the example in the post: 103-YK

103-Y are in the texture so you don't need to worry about them.

Let's say that the tail number is 123.

So your ME Tail # field must be entered as AKA123 or WKC123 or ZKX123.

It does not matter the value of the first and third letter, only the one in the middle is used. Unfortunately due to limitations in DCS numbering system we cannot enter K123 so we must enter all six characters.

My advise would be to enter KKK123.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

To try to make it short...

The air base or squadron number and side code first letter are frozen in the texture.

We enter only the last letter and the the tail number.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Actually, the "airbase code" is being abandonned to return back to the old system of wings number.

So your 115-xx aircraft is (or will soon) be re-coded 5-xx (Orange airbase homes the FAF 5th fighter wing).

Will we be able to use less than 3 caracters ?

5-xx or 33-xx are realistic registrations. 005-xx or 033-xx are not.

I'm glad to see you implement this system, it'll bring a nice variety :) kudos :)

Well, since either the airbase code or wing number must be in the texture it is irrelevant. We can only change the aircraft number code and its tail number.

@Zeus yep I understood that with your previous answer.

Works for me, thanks :)

I guess you already thought about this, but just in case: special liveries (anniversary, tiger...) would require a way to deactivate the registration/serial addendums (because different colors or placement on special liveries = need to be done in the skin files directly). Usually this is done by selecting side # 0 in the editor. When we were on FC2, there was a way for the skin creator to set this by default. I don't know if this "option" still exists in DCS World but it would be neat to have it.

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

Zeus,

Thanks for adding this feature, as well as explaining it. What I recommend is adding the flexibility that will allow for the French system you have as well as for people who wish to make other liveries.

The six digit system is fine, and I recommend using ED's architecture limitation to your advantage by allowing up to 3 dynamic digits on the fuselage. Shift the aircraft letter from the second digit to the third digit in the sequence, and allow the use of the 100 and 10 digits for a 3-digit fuselage combination. Skins that only have a single dynamic letter would still use the 3rd digit in LLL###, and the 100 and 10 digits could be set to "empty" in the description.lua. This could allow for dynamic numbers on skins like this, which is a fictional M-2000C skin based on the USN/USMC aggressor skins in the late 1980s when the US leased Kfirs from Israel.

Screenshot%202017-01-31%2011.54.24_zpsvvygbfz3.png~original

Even better, if you added a different set of BORTs on the fuselage that matched the tail number instead of using the first 3 digits of the 6 digit number, this would make it easier in the mission editor, perhaps simplify things with the BORT template, and allow repositioning so that we wouldn't be dealing with the off-center number due to the dynamic digit being offset due to the ###-L prefix. Again, skin makers could choose which numbers to use by putting a template in one line and "empty" in another line of description.lua.

Anyway, I appreciate what you have done, but would very much love to see a more flexible implementation.

Best,

HF

Edited by Home Fries

Is there a way to "disable" the dynamic system?

Because all users mades liveries i downloaded which already got their own numbers are f** up with it. :cry:

Your skinners will probably update their skins, but if they don't, you can open the description.lua in an editor like Notepad++ and copy the following entry into each file (after the ext8 line):

{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"FUSE_NUMBER1_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"FUSE_NUMBER2_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"FUSE_NUMBER2_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"FUSE_NUMBER2_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER1_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER1_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER1_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER1_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER2_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER2_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER2_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER2_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER3_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER3_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"TAIL_NUMBER3_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"TAIL_NUMBER3_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"NOSE_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"NOSE_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"NOSE_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"NOSE_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGR_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGR_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGR_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_2T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGR_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_001", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGL_NUMBER_001", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_010", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGL_NUMBER_010", DECAL ,"empty",true};

{"WINGL_NUMBER_100", 0 ,"M2KC_1T_<texname>",false};
{"WINGL_NUMBER_100", DECAL ,"empty",true};

Replace <texname> with the suffix in the filename (e.g. M2KC_1T_BRA); the important thing is getting the 1T or 2T right on the first line in each pair.

Edited by Home Fries
Code Fixed

Even better, if you added a different set of BORTs on the fuselage that matched the tail number instead of using the first 3 digits of the 6 digit number, this would make it easier in the mission editor, perhaps simplify things with the BORT template, and allow repositioning so that we wouldn't be dealing with the off-center number due to the dynamic digit being offset due to the ###-L prefix. Again, skin makers could choose which numbers to use by putting a template in one line and "empty" in another line of description.lua.

I see you added 2 digit BORT codes for skins like the Brazilian. Thank you so much for adding this as an option. Here's what my skin is looking like now:

Screenshot%202017-02-03%2022.15.20_zpsh82oin1y.png~original

Best,

HF

EDIT: Just reported a bug with Fuselage Bort overlap.

Edited by Home Fries
Bug Report

Your skinners will probably update their skins, but if they don't, you can open the description.lua in an editor like Notepad++ and copy the following entry into each file (after the ext8 line):

[...]

the important thing is getting the 1T or 2T right on the first line in each pair.

Thanks but It doesn't change much, here is what I get with your code:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/589559Screen170204154827.jpg

Default, without code:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/522174Screen170204154853.jpg

:(:cry: