Weird rudder trim

Most piston engine planes' rudders are trimmed for cruising speed. Therefore, if you fly slow and/or at high power settings, you need to apply right rudder, if you fly fast, like in a dive, or at low power settings, you need left rudder (depending on the direction the prop is turning, of course).

This is the case in the P-51 and the 109 and pretty much all real and virtual planes I've flown, except for the Spitfire, that ALWAYS needs right rudder. How come?

I haven't had the experience that I always need right rudder in steady and level flight.

I'd suggest simply using your rudder trim. It's weird compared to the P-51D in that there is no indicator as to where neutral trim is, so neutral trim is relative and simply where your slew indicator is neutral at a given speed, and really that's all that counts.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• ED Team
Most piston engine planes' rudders are trimmed for cruising speed. Therefore, if you fly slow and/or at high power settings, you need to apply right rudder, if you fly fast, like in a dive, or at low power settings, you need left rudder (depending on the direction the prop is turning, of course).

This is the case in the P-51 and the 109 and pretty much all real and virtual planes I've flown, except for the Spitfire, that ALWAYS needs right rudder. How come?

P-51 has 2 degree inclinated fin. 109 has asymmetric airfoil fin. Spitfire has nothing. I guess your conclusion won't be weird now.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

And on a high speed dive we still need to input a bit of right rudder, because of the "negative torque" from the engine and roll-induced yaw...

Under such situations the air is actually pushing the blades, and not being "sucked" and propelled back by these, so, the roll will tend to be right wise, and induce right yaw, asking for left rudder, specially if you keep your wings level with the stick.

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...