Difference between DM mode and DG Mode ?

bushido

Hello all,

I have read the manual and do the training but I'm still unsure on the difference between those two mode ?

For me it look like the same, i.e. an autolock function of the radar.

What are the difference between those two ?

• Like 1

The acquisition range is longer in DM than in DG. The sight works as in MSL mode in DM and as in A/A1 mode in DG. "In range" cues are given for missiles in DM mode and guns in DG mode. Off the top of my head those are the only differences.

Edited by lmp
  • Thanks 1

The acquisition range is longer in DM than in DG. The sight works as in MSL mode in DM and as in A/A1 mode in DG. "In range" cues are given for missiles in DM mode and guns in DG mode. Off the top of my head those are the only differences.

This, one ranges for missile and one for guns! 10mile and 5mile I think

I find it quite disturbing that the DG mode only uses the A/A1 sight mode. This means that to use A/A2 for tracking shots against co-speed targets, you have to manually lock the bandit on the head-down radar display, right ? Not very easy to do in a fight.

A/A1 mode also works if you're tracking a target, don't worry ;)

It's just that the way A1 is computed makes it better for snapshots against maneuvering targets, and A2 better for tracking shots on non maneuvering targets (ensuring better shots at higher distance I suppose), but overall the difference is not big.

If your target is agile, use A1, otherwise use A2, you don't need to switch.

P.S.: One easy way to do it is to put the switch on A/A2 position, this way you can use either DM, DG or A/A2 (with radar ACQ) without ever flipping a switch.

Edited by PiedDroit

I find it quite disturbing that the DG mode only uses the A/A1 sight mode. This means that to use A/A2 for tracking shots against co-speed targets, you have to manually lock the bandit on the head-down radar display, right ? Not very easy to do in a fight.

In A/A2 and A/A1 modes you have to manually initialize the acquisition phase with the ACQ button, but the acquisition phase itself works the same way as in DG and unlike in MSL mode. No gating with the TDC.

good information here. thanks!

could someone quickly describe the function of a/a1 and a/a2?

from my understanding, a/a1 calculates, where bullets would hit taking into account own aircrafts movement and range of bandit, but not movement (so, you have to lead only for bandits movement).

a/a2 on the other hand calculates, where bullets would hit, taking intoa ccount own movement AND bandits movement, if bandit doesn't change speed and direction.

(so, on a slow maneuvering bandit, you would not have to lead at all)

is this correct?

from my understanding, a/a1 calculates, where bullets would hit taking into account own aircrafts movement and range of bandit, but not movement (so, you have to lead only for bandits movement).

a/a2 on the other hand calculates, where bullets would hit, taking intoa ccount own movement AND bandits movement, if bandit doesn't change speed and direction.

is this correct?

thats how i understand it

is this correct?

No, none of the mode takes in account the bandit movement.

-----------------------------

A1 it best used against maneuvering opponents.

The recommendation to use it is (from the manual): "Start to fire one projectile time-of-fligh before the pipper reaches the target future position (Figure 7.9)"

Which means that you need to shoot X seconds before the bandit meets the pipper, X being the time of flight the shell (typically 1 to 2 seconds).

A2 is best used against non maneuvering opponents, during tracking shots. The pipper is displayed where the shells will be if you shoot now: "When tracking, the pipper remains one time-of-flight away from target future position to provide a continuous solution to the aiming problem."

When using this mode, make stable tracking and fire when the pipper is on top of the target.

The two modes are not exclusive (the difference between the two is really small), it's just that A1 is optimized for snapshots and A2 is optimized for tracking shots.

So, when attacking an agile aircraft, stick to A1 and when attacking an heavy (non agile aircraft), stick to A2.

The manual has nice picture to explain the two modes (figures 7.9 and 7.11).

P.S.:

In other words:

A/A1 calculates where bullets would have been (at the radar range) if you were shooting in a continuous stream

A/A2 calculates where bullets you shoot now will hit (at the radar range)

Edited by PiedDroit
  • Thanks 1

ohhh. ok. now, i understand:)

thanks.

it's not really complicated, but still a bit hard to fully comprehend!

The manual really is a good reference for this, and yes it's a bit mind-twisting.

figure 7.10 summarizes mode A1 very well, in several snapshot conditions, it shows the pipper (red dots), and when the shots are fired and when they actually hit.

You can see the pipper motion towards the target and the shots are fired one bullet time of flight before the pipper meets the target:

attachment.php?attachmentid=154848&stc=1&d=1483818495

2056548334_F-5E_AA1mode.PNG.8b42a44d0ffe7244896b6364584ad2eb.PNG

Edited by PiedDroit

In A/A2 and A/A1 modes you have to manually initialize the acquisition phase with the ACQ button, but the acquisition phase itself works the same way as in DG and unlike in MSL mode. No gating with the TDC.

:doh: I didn't know that! So in A/A2 mode (or even A/A1), hit the ACQ button at any time to initiate a boresight lock (as with the DG), without regard to where the TDC is?

So a good way to fight would indeed be in A/A2 mode:

Press ACQ => sight in A/A2 mode

Press DG => sight in A/A1 mode

Press DM => sight in MSL mode

With the MSL mode used for "long range" intercept.

So a good way to fight would indeed be in A/A2 mode:

Depends on how you look at it. Your method gives you the best access to all three sight modes. On the other hand, if you start in MSL mode, you sacrifice easy access to A/A2 but in return you don't have to switch to DM to see where the ARL is, which makes it easier to point your missiles and radar at the target. And you get the option to pick your target with the TDC. I like to shoot at close ranges (MiG-15bis habits) where switching between A/A1 and A/A2 makes little sense, so I stick to MSL mode.