Dirty canopy glass?

Just extract the file SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF.dds which can be found in

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip

Back up the file in case of accidents. Edit out the dirt and scratches, and reinsert into the zip. You need to edit R G & B channels individually for best results, not the combined RGB image. The dirt is on the Green channel. You need to keep the overall grey about the same, while reducing the darker dirt marks. Save as DXT1 RGB (No alpha) with Generate Mipmaps set to on.

If you want to keep the changes you make, then you need to edit a copy that is in your _MODS folder, replicating the same folder structure as the original (If you use Jsgme) and leave the original alone, otherwise it is likely to be overwritten by an update.

The crackles in the perspex are made by the SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_NORM.dds in the same zip. Edit the individual RGB channels for this one too. Save as R8G8B8 24 bit

Someone has already made a mod to remove the dirt on the spec map:-

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2315459/

My cleaner cockpit specularity file, reduces the dirt and crackles, but does not remove them Place the extracted folder in the same place as the existing textures zip file DO NOT REPLACE THE EXISTING ZIP WITH THIS ONE:- https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlvGQxoyD0PcnwJIhrsXLPNQR8Bx

EDIT: I just realised that the crackles are not only on the perspex hood, which I can live with, but also on the Armoured Windscreen. Now this is not at all acceptable. They will have to go :/

Just making the normal map blurry will get rid of them.

Edited by mkiii

Dont underestimate the power of the sun, when at the 'right' angle. Doesnt take much smudge to make it shine brightly white.

This clip shows some good flashes of the sunlight bouncing of this and that bit of smudge.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The crackles are also very heavy on the windscreen. That is glass, not perpex. It just aint right.

The default spit canopy we have turns completely opaque white when the sun hits from the side! And again, the spit in that video is not a brand new wartime aircraft with a groundcrew that polishes the canopy & screen after every flight, clue being that it is taking off, covered in bugsplats, and is unlikely to have an armoured glass windscreen. On top of that the camera is focussing in the interior, not looking through it.

I guess not many people really care whether they can see out or not in this module.

Edited by mkiii

I think the scratches are just part of the glass shader, it adds that normal map to all canopy glass. Looks the same as on all other planes, so probably some generic texture.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I haven't actually looked at how these things are set up in the modelling app, but I haven't noticed the crackles on other glass windscreens, so I'm hoping it is just a mistake that will be corrected.

Its not a mistake...its called crazing and adds to the immersion for me. I would not want this changed. Unrealistic to expect an unused, brand new bird right off the production floor every time you strap in.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

yeah, I'm not unaware of crazing (was an aircraft mech for 17 years), but at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, IMO the effect is far too pronounced, and should not be on windscreen glass at all (NOTE: glass, not perspex). In any case, is this meant to be a new 1940s combat aircraft, or a modern (ie v old) restoration? Crazing takes quite a while to develop, although polishing marks from constant cleaning are more than likely. All this has been covered previously, so it's not really worth arguing any more. One suggestion I might make, is that the normal mapfor the effect is only a repeating 256x256 bitmap. Would it not benefit (for all aircraft that use it) to be remade at a higher resolution.

Perhaps different monitor sizes, fov settings etc make the effect look worse for some more than others? I know that the windscreen crackling is not so noticeable when zoomed out, but looks like a 70 year old aircraft that has been left out in the sun when I am zoomed in.

Anyhoo, I'm retiring gracefully now I know how I can get rid of the effects for my own use. It's still a Spit after all, and is still not 100% finished.